5 Miles on the DEATHMILL

3 Jan

I’ve had a bit of an injury since IMAZ. I guess you could say I’m injured! 😦 I don’t recommend it! I was having some pain or not necessarily pain but some uncomfortableness(is this a word?) in my left Achilles area. It started while I was in taper for IMAZ. Sometimes in taper you feel some weird aches and pains and when the race comes around you are ok. I was hoping for the best. The race went well and I didn’t have any pain. I did take some time off to let it recover and heal. Then it happened. I ran and it was sore and sore for the entire day. It was a very sad day! I scheduled an appointment with a well-known physical therapist and I just waited. I did spin classes, swam, and lots of Pilates classes. I finally had my appointment about 3 weeks ago. He did a full assessment and I learned that I had a few imbalances. He gave me some strength and stretching moves and said I could run on the treadmill AKA deathmill. I’ve been doing all the PT moves religiously and have run on the deathmill multiple times without pain. 5 miles was the longest I’ve run since IM. It felt great! I have one more deathmill run and then I can start some short runs outside if all goes well!
Here are a few tips to prevent injury:
1-Maintain good strength
2-Foam Roll REGULARLY
3-Do core exercises, single leg exercises, and form drills
4-Stretch after EVERY run, bike, swim
5-If you have some pain–address it quickly and don’t let it linger
6-It is actually ok to REST
7-If you can afford it get a massage regularly

Some deathmill survival tips:
1-I don’t typically run with music unless I’m confined to running inside! Make an awesome play list!
2-Scope out which deathmills have the best view of the weight room so you can check out the cute guys!
3-Put a towel over the elapsed time

Happy running!!! Tell me do you like the treadmill or would you rather run outside? Why??

8 Responses to “5 Miles on the DEATHMILL”

1. Loretta January 3, 2013 at 3:59 PM #

Whoops – I posted my comment for this day on another day. Blog – what is a blog?

2. Kristy January 3, 2013 at 4:02 PM #

Glad to hear you are up to five miles!
    I love the treadmill for interval work because I never have to worry about wind or uneven surfaces. With intervals, the run is broken up so the treadmill time goes by quickly. My strategy on the treadmill is to mix it up by varying the pace. It really helps. I have also found the treadmill a nice way to run with a friend who runs a really different pace than I do. We can each get our own workout in and still have friend time!

• triathletetreats January 3, 2013 at 4:10 PM #

Awesome Kristy! It is totally true about varying the pace. This 5 mile run I did I started out slowish for the first 3 miles and decreased the pace for mile 4 and then decreased it again for the last mile. It was much better then the 4 mile previous run at the same pace!

3. Mrs. JLB January 3, 2013 at 4:24 PM #

Hmmm… I don’t think I would rather run on a treadmill or outside… I would rather sit on the couch and eat cookies πŸ™‚ xoxo.

4. Sherrie January 3, 2013 at 6:29 PM #

I really like running on the treadmill…mostly because I can wake up in the morning and I already know what I need to wear because my treadmill is in the garage! So I don’t have to wake up and think about if I should wear layers or rain gear or any of that before I am AWAKE! Also, it is easier on my body. AND, I actually find that I run faster when I train with a treadmill because it forces me to keep up a conistent pace.

And as for your “imbalances,” we’ll the rest of us have all known for a long time that you have THOSE!!

• triathletetreats January 3, 2013 at 9:32 PM #

WOW Sherrie!! You have a good point. I’m constantly setting out clothes, jackets, what if shirts….etc? You might be on to something!!! πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Saturday Stuff | Triathlete Treats - June 1, 2013

[…] I had a bit of an injury at the beginning of the year. I got through it. I was prescribed lots of stretches and exercises to […]