Rest Day

24 Jan

Do you want to know why Wednesday is my favorite day of the week?? I do not have to wash my hair.
oh-no-reason
Do you want to know why Wednesday is my LEAST favorite day? I do not get to work out!!
Before I started doing triathlons I worked out every day. I ran most days. I used to do a lot of strength training. I did yoga. I did not go a day without working out.
I started doing triathlons. I soon realized there was a rest day once or twice a week. Who wants to have a rest day? Rest days for me are the worst days because I usually eat more than the days I work out. Just because I am bored!

I quickly found out that the rest day is your most IMPORTANT day of the week. It helps recover your muscles from the week of training and helps get your muscles ready for another week of training. As the years have gone on and on I truly do like the IDEA of a rest day.

I found an article on Runners World online. It talks about rest days and why they are important. It helps with restoring glycogen stores, prevents overuse injuries, and mental burnout.

Being injured makes you look at REST a little differently too. It is no fun but it has to be done!!

I try and embrace the day off from running, biking, and swimming! I try to do something out of the house. I saw a Back Fence PDX show last night. I host ladies nights. I went to Ground Kontrol for a birthday party last week. Another one of my goals this year is to be more social. If you want to hang out on Wednesday let me know. I’m up for just about anything except a swim, bike, or run.

NOW here is how you REST and get your hair washed!!

Happy Resting!! What did you do on your LAST rest day??

11 Responses to “Rest Day”

1. Eva January 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM #

I have been barely washing my hair at all! It’s way too cold

2. MoM January 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM #

I loved that elephant at the Indianpolis Zoo – but I loved more that I was with my kids – all three of them πŸ™‚ It was a great “rest” day for all of us…

• triathletetreats January 24, 2013 at 12:00 PM #

We did walk a lot that day!! πŸ™‚

• Mrs. JLB January 24, 2013 at 1:09 PM #

Heck yeah we did!!!

• Mrs. JLB January 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM #

So fun!!! But soooooo humid… Gotta love the Heartland in the summer πŸ™‚

• triathletetreats January 24, 2013 at 3:37 PM #

so its crap in the summer and in the winter…why do people live there?!!

3. Sherrie January 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM #

Ok, the elephant getting it’s hair washed….hilarious!
    I’m going to have to try one of those rest days sometime…next month!

4. Mrs. JLB January 24, 2013 at 1:11 PM #

How do you answer that question when EVERY day is a rest day??? tee hee.

5. Change of Pace January 25, 2013 at 7:01 AM #

I actually used to hate rest days, too. But now, now I LOVE them! Today’s a rest day and I plan on doing a lot of nothing (other than work). Well, I’ll take my pup for a nice walk but that’s about it.
    Happy Friday!

• triathletetreats January 27, 2013 at 6:28 PM #

I like it more when I am in heavy training mode and I am tired all of the time! πŸ™‚