NYC Marathon 2013

2 Apr

I have been waiting to get into the New York City Marathon since 2010!! I applied for the lottery for the first time in 2010.
NYC10
At this point, I had no idea how hard it was to get into the marathon. I did know that if you were denied in the lottery, 3 consecutive years, than you are guaranteed the 4th year. I even told a patient, who was getting into marathons, to apply. I got DENIED. My patient got in. NOT FAIR!

Registration for the 2011 lottery opened. The problem with the lottery is you do not find out until April if you get in or not. If you do not get in than you are screwed if you want to do another big marathon because they are sold out by April. I signed up for the Marine Corps Marathon(MCM) knowing I could defer that registration if I happened to get into NYC.
nyc11

DENIED AGAIN! I ran MCM and had an epic-mentally-tough-hard-day but had an AWESOME race.

My last year, 2012, applying I would not be able to do the race and would have to defer if I ACTUALLY got in!
nyc12
As much as I wanted to get in, I was doing Ironman Arizona 2 weeks after the running of the 2012 NYC Marathon. I was DENIED! It did not matter!! I was guaranteed for 2013!! YES FINALLY!!!

OMG THEN IT HAPPENED…HURRICANE SANDY HIT!

They have been very slow in handling the resolution for the 2012 runners, so everyone wanting to run in 2013 has to WAIT. Well I have very little patience in general but for something like this…I can not wait around to finalize my race schedule for 2013!! They were either going to let us, the people, who were guaranteed into the 2013 race or they were going to make us wait until 2014 or 2015. In January, we had no idea what was going to happen. I decided I would plan that I was NOT going to get in this year and signed up for Chicago Marathon and Ragnar Las Vegas. Then I decided if I did get in I would defer to 2014 because Bird Legs will be guaranteed in 2014. It will be more awesome to be there with her anyway.

GOT THE EMAIL A FEW DAYS AGO:
NYC2

nyc13

Well it is offical…I GOT IN! I can’t believe it. I thought there was no way I would get in this year after all of what happened! Oh well…I will defer until 2014. I am just glad it will happen at some point in my life! 🙂

Have you run NYC Marathon? Did you get in through lottery or guaranteed somehow?

25 Responses to “NYC Marathon 2013”

1. Loretta Block April 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM #

CHICAGO 2013/NEW YORK 2014!!

_____

2. Sherrie April 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM #

Cool! Then maybe I’ll do the lottery in 2014 and get lucky And do it with you. Congrats!

3. tribalancegirl April 3, 2013 at 6:37 AM #

Congratulations! This race will be so rewarding since you’ve waiting such a long time for it. What training plan are you using? Also, I’m headed onto your races page because I want to read about ironman AZ. I’ve done a half Ironman, but never a full.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM #

Thanks!! I typically use this plan when I train for a marathon:

I just started blogging at the end of the year so I do not have a recap of IMAZ but if you email me I will send you my race report. 🙂

• tribalancegirl April 4, 2013 at 5:16 AM #

That would be great. I would love to hear your story. I’ll take a look at your training plan because I’m always interested in what other runners are using. I’m going with the Hal Higdon method. (18 wk training)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 4, 2013 at 4:15 PM #

What level are you using? How many days a week do you run?

• tribalancegirl April 4, 2013 at 4:53 PM #

I’m doing intermediate. I run about 5 days a week and incorporate 1 cross training day. My marathon PR is 3:42 and I want to crush it. So, I’ll see how this training program goes.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 4, 2013 at 4:57 PM #

Oh awesome!! Boston Bound??

• tribalancegirl April 4, 2013 at 5:07 PM #

MCM!!!! Super excited I got a slot

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 5, 2013 at 5:35 PM #

Yeah I know MCM! But are you looking to qualify for Boston?? It seems like you will be super close!!!??

4. discorunner April 3, 2013 at 6:46 AM #

Congrats! That will be an amazing race experience!

5. Ashley April 3, 2013 at 8:35 AM #

Congratulations!!! What a great early birthday present!!! So excited for you!!!!

6. Eva April 3, 2013 at 9:58 AM #

Awesome!! Next year will be great

7. Jen April 3, 2013 at 3:00 PM #

Congrats Leslie! That’s awesome 🙂

8. Kara April 4, 2013 at 7:34 PM #

Congrats!! I ran it in 2011 and it was absolutely incredible!! I did 9+1 so I’ll be running it this year too 🙂 sooo excited!

9. Alana April 7, 2013 at 8:34 PM #

So exciting!!! I love that you refer to Kara as Bird Legs:)