Open Water Swimming + Twitter Lesson

26 Apr

It took me a long time to get on Facebook. It was not like I did not want to get on. I just did not have the time or any real desire. I was not connected to social media at all. It may have been easier that way. 🙂

I got on Facebook. I created a blog. I got a new email account for my blog. I got a Facebook page for Triathlete Treats. (If you have not liked me, go do it now.) I have been wanting to get on Twitter for a while. Erica owed me a favor, in which I will talk about next week, so I had her give me a lesson on Twitter.

We met for Happy Hour yesterday and set up my account. My new Twitter handle is: @tritreats. (If you are on Twitter, go follow me.) I learned what the @ was for and what the # is for. I started following a bunch of people. Super Fun!! The only problem is: It is just one more thing to check and stay on top of! 🙂

tweet1

After my tweeting lesson I went up to Vancouver Lake to Open Water Swim(OWS). The first OWS of the year is always the TOUGHEST. Zach said the water “wasn’t too bad” on Tuesday. It has been sunny so it may have even gotten better. I have NEVER done an OWS before Wildflower in Portland before. It is always too cold. Mid-May is usually a good time to start practicing unless you want to freeze to death.

tweets

I sent out my first “real” tweet. I am not even sure If I did it right. Ha!! I guess it is like anything. The more you practice the better you will get at it. 🙂

Back to swimming. We got there a little early because Laura picked me up and we got to drive in the carpool lane. SORRY Nik!! I stuck my toes in and it really was not that bad. This may have been a good idea after all!!
Views of Mt Hood!

Views of Mt St. Helens!

It was a great night for a swim. We get suited up and got ready to dive in. The HARDEST part of the first OWS is whether or not my wetsuit will fit. I was quite surprised when it went right on. No tugging or having a hard time it just went right on! SWEET!!

The first couple of steps in were not that bad. YES! This really is going to be ok. Then it hit us. As we got further out. 4 feet! It was cold! Our feet were cold. We were nervous to put our heads in the water for fear of the ice cream headache. Our hands still had not hit the water. All of a sudden Nik comes running into the water like he is starting a triathlon. At this point we decide it is go time and wish we had done the same!

We swim out to the first buoy. Once we started to swim it felt pretty good. The last time I did an OWS was at IMAZ in November. Most of the group had not done an OWS since IMC in August. Really it has not been THAT LONG.

We were going to swim 500 meters and re-group + 4 times = 2000 meters = what we will be swimming at Wildflower. It felt really good. Once we were swimming the water was perfect. Cold. YES. But SWIM-ABLE!

First OWS of the year done! Approximately 37 mins.

Are you on Twitter? Should I follow you? Do you swim faster in the pool or in the OW?? I swim faster in the OW!

15 Responses to “Open Water Swimming + Twitter Lesson”

1. Kristen L April 26, 2013 at 5:09 PM #

I’m not very good with Twitter either — still learning. It overwhelmes me sometimes!

Awesome job on getting in an open water swim. The only open water swim I have done was last year for my first tri. Aaaand, I don’t think I’ll have time to fit one in before my first tri this year either. Oops!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 26, 2013 at 5:49 PM #

I was going to RT something today and then I thought I only have 10 followers so what is the point. I should have just done it! 🙂
      I am sure you will do fine without the OWS!! Are you comfortable in the water?

• Kristen L April 28, 2013 at 4:06 PM #

Yeah, pretty comfortable in the water. I’m not a great swimmer, but not terrible either. 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 28, 2013 at 7:48 PM #

You are totally fine!! 🙂 Swim..Swim…Swim…

2. Twisted Running April 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM #

I was glad to see you joined Twitter! It’s great; I find it a lot more fun than FB. *creepy cult voice.* Welllllllcommmmme.

3. Molto Vivace April 26, 2013 at 8:20 PM #

I’ve been getting into Twitter. I have an account I use for work purposes but created the one for my training and blogging and I’m much more active with it – it’s more fun than work stuff! 🙂 I haven’t done an OWS yet, but plan to this summer when I get into my training for the first Tri.

4. Change of Pace April 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM #

Gorgeous lake to practice in! Sounds cold, but I’m sure it’ll pay off!
    I have a twitter account, but just so I can follow people. Lately I haven’t been finding time for my blog, so I don’t think I’m going to start twitter! But, I like to read people’s quick updates on there!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 27, 2013 at 8:11 AM #

Do you have a lake close by to swim in?
      I love the concept of Twitter..Although how do you know what to post and when to post?! 🙂

5. Kara May 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM #

Well I for one am really glad you are on Twitter now 🙂 There have been a couple times I wanted to ask you triathlon questions (are you surprised) and looked for you on Twitter, haha! I held out for a long time too and it took me awhile to figure everything out, but now I really like it! I’ve met a lot of new runner friends there!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. News Worthy? | Triathlete Treats - April 29, 2013

[…] This was the favor that Erica was paying me back for by giving me the Twitter lesson. […]