Tales of My Commute #3 AND #4

15 May

I saw this post going in a total different direction but here it is anyway!!

I got out of work late per usual last night! I decided to take the “easy” way home. I took Barbur instead of Terwilliger. Let me tell you a few things about both streets.

Barbur is a huge thoroughfare through Southwest Portland. 4-6 lanes across at any point. There is a bike lane for most of it BUT there are many “difficult connections.” I do not like to ride on Barbur in high traffic times, in the dark and/or the rain!!

Terwilliger is my choice for my commute about 96% of the time. It has a bike lane. It only has one “difficult connection” but really is not that difficult! I know every single curve, pothole, and bump on the street.

I have talked about this before. My commute through downtown is not exactly easy. It is stop and go for maybe 1-2 miles. Going up Broadway is a pain because it is uphill but there is a bike lane. Going home is nice because it is downhill. The downfall being: What would take 3 minutes to get through if there were no lights, cars, or stopping takes at least 15 to get through! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ
fulllane

Back to yesterday. I decided that it was late enough, light enough, and dry that I would take a different way home! I took Barbur. It was awesome. Hardly any cars and I hit most of the lights! Instead of going through downtown I decided to take the waterfront. (I do not like to take the waterfront on nice days because it is murder suicide…too many dogs, strollers, kids, runners, other bikes….a total shitshow!) Last minute I decided to just take Natio (with a bike lane…many difficult connections) but it was late and not many cars!

It took about 34 minutes. I think that must be an all-time quick commute home. I might just have to do that every Tuesday! ๐Ÿ™‚

Northeast Bike Boulevard craziness!

Northeast Bike Boulevard craziness!

This evenings commute was a little different story. I left work right at 5 which was the problem. I either leave before 5 or 5:20-5:30.

I got down Terwilliger in record time. I got to the light before heading into downtown. It is a big intersection. People are so stupid. They are in such a hurry they stop in the middle of the intersection and the light turns red! Totally unfair to everyone that is going my direction because all the stupid people are blocking the intersection. Since I am on a bike I have the advantage of moving through the cars. I stare the people down and they act like they have done nothing wrong! UNBELIEVEABLE!

I get into the thick of downtown. It is a total shitshow! I should not complain because I follow the rules. I stay in the line with the cars while all the other cyclists choose to ride between the parked and driving cars. I guess they are the smart ones. I could be in my car listening to music but I choose to sit on my bike instead! Dang it! At least it was not RAINING!

4th Ave 5pm Traffic!

4th Ave 5pm Traffic!

Soooo Sloooowwwww! I finally get to the bridge with the masses!

People kill me. This girl passes me on the uphill to the bridge. Cool. Go for it! Then when it comes time to make the short downhill through the light(that is not very long) to go back uphill she slows down. What are you doing??!!!! I did make the light but barely! What is wrong with people!

One more thing: These are painted on the road:
signal

To signal the light to turn for the cycles. Am I the only one that uses these? People will literally be sitting right next to it. Do they not know that sitting on top of them will make the light turn faster?!!! I.JUST.DO.NOT.UNDERSTAND!!!!

54 minutes later…I finally parked my bike in the garage. I was home! I guess it could be worse. I could be driving north on I-5! HA!

How long was your commute??

10 Responses to “Tales of My Commute #3 AND #4”

1. MoM May 15, 2013 at 11:08 PM #

4 minutes Ina car.

2. Change of Pace May 16, 2013 at 6:20 AM #

I definitely say do your Tuesday route every week!
    I love that photo of all the cyclists! That is crazy how many people commute by bike!
    We have barely any bike lanes in our city, and none anywhere near my house. Although my husband commutes to work, I just don’t feel safe enough. So, until we become more cyclist friendly, in my car it is!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 16, 2013 at 12:24 PM #

That was a pretty good pic of the cyclists but sometimes there are huge clusters of them and wish I had a camera handy!!
      It is so nice to have lots of bike lanes and boulevards! Makes it so much better and safer!! ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Kristen L May 16, 2013 at 2:58 PM #

If I commute my whole way by bike it takes me about an hour and 20 minutes (for 22 miles)…so I don’t do it very often. Riding through the city with lots of lights is the worst part about it. I hate getting stuck in the traffic!! Sounds like Tuesdays will be great for you though — definitely keep riding then.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 16, 2013 at 9:50 PM #

That would be a LONG commute!! I was thinking yesterday how funny it would be to live in a city where it was only bikes!! It would probably have to be pretty small! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

4. Jesse - Questionably Texan May 18, 2013 at 4:45 AM #

I’m not sure how well I’d do if my commute was through downtown stop-and-go traffic. I already get annoyed sitting at the half-dozen stoplights that I get stuck at everyday. Like you, I hold my position in line and don’t (usually!) weave in and out to get to the front. Maybe that’s my problem.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2013 at 12:30 PM #

It is hell! Luckily enough that is just the middle portion of the ride. It is always after work that is the worst too! ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

5. Kara May 24, 2013 at 11:13 AM #

This sounds really stressful! Unfortunately (fortunately?) I don’t have the option to bike to work (I don’t think they let bikes in the tunnels from NJ to NYC, haha). But it would be nice to get all that fresh air in the morning!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 25, 2013 at 2:20 PM #

It really isn’t stressful…more annoying than anything!! ๐Ÿ™‚ I am super lucky that I can be in a city that is full of cyclists!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Tales of my Commute #5 | Triathlete Treats - May 22, 2013

[…] better story of this post. I have decided that Barbur is such a better way home since last weeks tales of the commute. I left work late again tonight. Kind of on purpose. I did not want to sit in downtown traffic like […]