RNR Portland 1/2 Race Report

20 May

6:30 Wake up call. Ate a breakfast cookie, orange, and coconut water. Got dressed and put what I thought was enough body glide on. The weather was still forecasted for cloudy with sun breaks in the 50s. 20% precipitation. PERFECT!
IMG_1910[1]

7:30 Met up with Holly who is on Nuun HTC Team Lemonade with me. So fun to finally connect. She lives down in Medford. She was running for fun and going to see what happens.
IMG_1911[1]

8:00 Met up with Sherrie. I usually take a gu before the race but I got into the corral and did not have any water so I thought I would just wait until the first aid station.

8:05 Go time! I just started to run. Not particularly hard or fast or slow. Just thought I would see how the first couple of miles go. My 5k was sub 30 mins. Which is never a good sign for my half marathon pace. Pretty flat for the first 3.5. Had a couple fast miles to start. I thought I am just going to go for it for as long as I can. I do not use music very often but on races I like to use it in the later miles. I got my phone out to a take a picture of a girls shirt but I was not fast enough. I guess I am better at taking pictures on my bike than when I run! πŸ™‚ I ended up just putting my headphones on here.
rnrelv

I still felt relatively good. Had some short inclines and declines downtown and then we are going over the Hawthorne bridge. All of a sudden we were at mile 6 and at the 10K mark I was at sub 1 hr. I thought maybe I could PR today. I am feeling good. The temperature is just right. Things seem to be going well. Did not want to think about a PR for long. I just wanted to keep steady! We ran up Hawthorne which is definitely the hardest part of the course.

I had just heard Tell It To My Heart by Taylor Dayne when I was bowling Friday night. That prompted me to get out some old cds and put some old favorites on my RNR-PDX playlist.

It worked out perfectly that Taylor Dayne came on right at the bottom and then I listened to it again!! Got up and over Hawthorne. I was still running at sub 10min/miles. Mile 7 was the last split I looked at. I was still feeling good. I knew the hardest part was over. I was going to run on feel! Saw Holly and said Hi.

It flattens out a bit here. Got through the Team In Training aid station at about 7.5 and saw Stephanie! A few more inclines and declines that takes us over by Laurelhurst Park. I was sad that I decided not to look at my watch when I hit mile 8. I got over it pretty quickly. More ups and downs. I felt robbed that we did not have a long downhill. Just kept running. Mile 9 came. I still felt ok but I felt like my pace was slipping. Even when we went downhill. I was all of a sudden glad I was not looking at my watch. πŸ™‚

Miles 10 and 11 were good. Finally a downhill BUT at the bottom the runners were stopped for traffic. I wanted to get down there by the time they let the runners through again but did not want to get down there too early to sit and wait! Then it happened….I looked at my watch on accident. SHIT! I was at 1:54:xx. I did not know where the 12 mile marker was but if it was close I could be close to a PR. WHAT?!!

I only sat there for 8 seconds. As soon as we started to run I could see the mile 12 sign. I could really be close to a PR. Could I do it? Did I have it mentally? I was trying to do calculations in my brain. I would not look at my watch until I finished!! HERE.WE.GO!!

After an up and down over the Steel bridge, it flattens out for the remainder of the mile. I could feel the bile in my throat. I was working hard. I knew it would be close!! I was leaving it all on the course!!

HOLY SMOKES BATMAN….2:06:23!! PR BABY!! I was so excited!! What a day!! Another accidental PR!

My nutrition was a little different. That may have helped out. I took my first gu at mile 2 and 4. 2nd gu at mile 6 and 8. 3rd at 10 and 11.5. I take a half and keep the other half for the next station. I have learned for me the gu works better when I take it in stages.

My feet are a wreck. I have a blister on my right foot and I think I am going to lose a toenail(I think it has been hanging on for a while) on my left foot. I got in the shower and definitely had not put enough body glide on. BUT who really cares because I have a new PR!! Overall feeling pretty good.

I had a scoop of Salt and Straw to CELEBRATE!

Who else raced this weekend? How did it go?

19 Responses to “RNR Portland 1/2 Race Report”

1. Sherrie May 20, 2013 at 4:11 PM #

Great race report and congrats on the PR!!!!

2. MoM May 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM #

You GO girl!!!

3. Change of Pace May 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM #

Congratulations on another PR! I think accidental ones are the best! I hope you’re taking a little, well-earned break this week!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2013 at 8:57 PM #

They are definitely the BEST!! I feel like when I have too much pressure on myself it never happens!! OR The goals go out the window! πŸ™‚

4. Kristen L May 20, 2013 at 7:32 PM #

Congratulations on your new PR!! Maybe all that tough training for Wildflower got you going! πŸ™‚ Good that you were held up for only 8 seconds for traffic. Did they not have all the roads blocked off for runners?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2013 at 8:56 PM #

Thanks!!! Well I think that it was just the one main street that they were stopping runners at. Last year I got stopped at a different spot but it didn’t look like they were stopping anyone there yesterday!! Can’t wait to hear how Cleveland went!!

5. hylaridenour May 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM #

That is awesome! What a great accomplishment! Congrats!!

6. Healthy Strides May 21, 2013 at 8:38 AM #

Congrats on the PR! What a sweet surprise.

7. OneMotherofaDay May 21, 2013 at 4:13 PM #

Congrats on the PR!!! Great time!

8. Mrs. JLB May 21, 2013 at 10:12 PM #

Dude, you ROCK!!! xoxo.

9. Mrs. JLB May 21, 2013 at 10:17 PM #

p.s. Your old school tunes are cracking me up πŸ™‚ What else was on that play list??? Please tell me you had some Tiffany on there!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM #

I was going to post my list. Tears for Fears, Marky Mark, Pump Up The Jam, Pretty In Pink, some Limp Bisket….it was a good list! No Tiffany though! 😦

10. Jesica @rUnladylike May 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM #

Congrats on your PR! That is so exciting. Really interesting you take your gu in stages. I think that is something that might work better for me too. Does it get all sticky wherever you carry it while open? Super excited for you! Hope you’ve been able to enjoy your race high all week! Woo hoo!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 25, 2013 at 2:18 PM #

THANKS!! It is a game changer!! I sometimes have a problem with stickiness but if that happens when I am done with it…I use the last of the water to quick rinse it off! πŸ™‚

11. Kara May 24, 2013 at 11:17 AM #

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! Way to push though and stay strong. Such an awesome PR!! (My half PR was an accidental one too, haha!) PS can you tell I’m catching up on all your posts right now?! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 25, 2013 at 2:21 PM #

THANKS!!! Really excited!! I am all of a sudden dreaming of a sub 2 half!! Not sure if it is in the cards for this year but definitely next year! πŸ™‚