Tales of my Commute #5

22 May

I did not think I would have a tales of my commute so soon after last weeks shenanigans!! I had quite a commute to and from work today!

It was raining, lightly, when I left this morning. I have been wearing running gloves instead of rain gloves because it hasn’t been that wet lately. Today I put them on not really thinking about it. I quickly thought a 1/2 mile into my commute that I was in trouble. These gloves were not going to be ok and hopefully my fingers will thaw out before I have to see my first patient.

I was cruising right along and what do I see in front of me but a guy holding an umbrella while riding his bike. (If you saw this already on Facebook…Sorry) As I passed him and I said “You must not be going that far.” He ended up catching up to me at a light. He said he was riding “7 miles.” WHAT? He proceeded to tell me he did not want to buy “rain” clothes. Oh GOTCHA…You are going to carry an umbrella while riding a bicycle. Sounds totally logically because he was almost as wet as I was! But I was only about 2.5 miles in (of 7). What did I know!? 🙂 I am so sad I didn’t get a picture of this!!

Onto the bigger and better story of this post. I have decided that Barbur is such a better way home since last weeks tales of the commute. I left work late again tonight. Kind of on purpose. I did not want to sit in downtown traffic like last week especially in the pouring rain.

I headed down Barbur. Pretty much from the beginning I thought this was a bad idea. There was so much standing water I was soaked within minutes. It was raining a lot harder than it was this morning that is a fact!! I put the pedal to the metal and went for it!

Not a lot of cars but maybe more than last night. Cause all of the cyclists were in their cars. Suckas!

There is always at least one other cyclist at this intersection with me....NOT TONIGHT!

My LEAST FAVORITE things about tonight’s commute:

1: Riding down Natio at 30mph and rain pelting down on my face.
2: Riding in a north bound lane and getting splashed by the south bound cars.
3: My favorite trick in riding in the rain: wear latex gloves under your rain gloves and in my case: running gloves.
4: I did not get to see the umbrella guy again!
5: I was literally laughing the entire ride because it was so funny. I.WAS.SOAKED!

My hog got me home safe and sound!

My hog got me home safe and sound!

IMG_1924[1]
Can you tell that I am totally water-logged?!

This was one of my TOP 5 wettest commutes in the last 5 years. Maybe even TOP 3! Do I dare say it? It was almost FUN! It would not have been as fun in the dark!

Happy Hump Day!! Who is ready for summer?
winter

13 Responses to “Tales of my Commute #5”

1. MoM May 22, 2013 at 10:31 PM #

You are a NUT!

2. Kristen L May 22, 2013 at 10:41 PM #

Awesome! I bike commute no matter the weather since we only have one car. I totally gear up in my rain pants, and rain coat — its the shoes that get me sometimes though and take a while to dry out once I get in. I also have a cover for my packpack so my stuff doesn’t get soaked.

It is pretty fun to ride in the rain though! Glad you had a fun (but wet) commute.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM #

To dry out your shoes put lots of balled up newspaper in them. It totally works and your shoes will be dry quicker! 🙂

3. Change of Pace May 23, 2013 at 5:35 AM #

Sounds Iike you enjoyed that! I can’t believe somebody would ride with an umbrella?! I can’t see it offering much protection! Great idea about latex gloves. I bet they’d help my hands stay warmer, too?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM #

No protection. So funny!
      You should try the latex glove trick it totally works. You know what we do for our feet: put plastic bags over our socks and than tuck the bag into our pants and put a rubber band around the bottom. It is a goodie too! 🙂

4. Alana May 23, 2013 at 9:27 AM #

I love your positive attitude. Spoken like a TRUE Portland Native! I would have never guessed that you are from Vegas;)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2013 at 2:33 PM #

Right!! It was so funny. I did see a few brave soles out there! It was like a ghost town on the waterfront!

5. Jesse - Questionably Texan May 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM #

Riding with an umbrella? You really need to get a picture of that if you see him again!
    I don’t mind riding in the rain too much, but I hate the initial getting wet period where I feel the water slowly trickling into my shoes. Once I’m wet, I’m fine, but getting that way is a problem.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM #

I literally thought about the picture 1 second before the light turned. I was so mad that I didn’t get one!!

6. Luv What You Do May 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM #

I wish i could ride my bike to work! The tales of my commute have a lot more construction, highway, and swearing : )

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM #

I am lucky I live in this great city full of cyclists, lots of bike lanes and bike boulevards. 🙂

7. Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} May 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM #

Oh my! That would’ve been epic to get a photo of the bike guy with the umbrella. I remember growing up my dad rode his bike to work as often as possible. I probably could ride my bike to work during the summer when I don’t have to drop the kids off at school. Just not sure what I would do with my bike all day. Do you bring yours inside or is there a bike rack?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 25, 2013 at 2:23 PM #

I am still kicking myself for not getting a picture!! I am so not a picture taker. I have been getting better but still not great!! 🙂
      In the winter or when it is raining…I bring it into the office. In the summer there is a bike rack outside my office.