Music or NO Music?

30 May

music
When I started running years ago, I always had a partner. I did not really use music. Sometimes of course but not usually. As I transitioned into more of a “serious” runner. (I use the word serious…loosely) I used music more often if I was not running with someone else.

When I was just a runner and not a triathlete it did not matter if I used music or not. Most races do not care if you are jamming out to the latest tunes.

Once I started training more on my own I used it more. I have gone through many running/training partners as the years have gone on. Mainly because I have kept the madness up and they have decided to unfortunately get injured, stop training, get pregnant, or move out of town. The music always depended on if I was training with someone.

During triathlon season I try to not use music as much because I can not use it on the race so why use it while training?! It is just that much better during a road race when I turn it on.

I had this crazy idea to do 3 marathons in 3 months. Marine Corps October ’11, RNR LV “11, and RNR AZ “12. I was pretty much training on my own and but using my fair share of music.

After RNRAZ I put a FULL hiatus on the music listening. I needed to focus on my mental strength and toughness. No more music and I was pretty much training all on my own. I PR’d the half marathon distance in May ’12. Finally after having that PR forever! I took my music but only started listening to it at about mile 7(ish). It was such a treat to listen to it for the 2nd half of the race.

I used almost NO MUSIC for my Ragnar/HTC/Black Diamond/IMAZ training (2012). The only race that allowed music was Ragnar but I really wanted to “look” hardcore. Please. I was already hardcore doing it ultra style. I could at least give myself a break and allow myself to listen to music. That backfired because my IPod stopped working! Hence why I was going to buy a new one if I did a sub 13 at IMAZ! I can honestly say that I had a huge break through with my mental toughness. Whether that was because I was not listening to music or not. It still happened! I have continued to work on it this year.

I tell you this because I just found out a weird/awesome tidbit on my A-race (Pac Crest long course tri) this year.
run

They are allowing iPods on the run. WHAT?! I could not believe my eyes. As you can see I have a dilemma here. Do I start using music while I run? or Keep it the same way I have been training.

I will probably continue to training without music. It will just be that MUCH BETTER come race time!!!

Do you use music while you train? or while you race?

12 Responses to “Music or NO Music?”

1. Molto Vivace May 30, 2013 at 9:41 PM #

I’ve been running without music for a while now because I’m mostly running on suburban streets and need to cross a lot, or I’m on a path with a lot of cyclists and being able to hear them ding the bell is important. However, I like having the music with me and will put in one earphone, or both if I’m in a park that I often run in. Gives me an energy boost!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 31, 2013 at 8:58 PM #

Good idea!! I definitely feel the energy boost when I listen to music. That is why I like to use them later in the race!! 🙂

2. Kristen L May 30, 2013 at 10:08 PM #

Whoa! I’ve never seen a triathlon that allowed headphones/ipods during the run! I would keep training without it. Seems like your mental strength has improved a lot, and might be good to keep working on it that way.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 31, 2013 at 8:57 PM #

Right?! I still can’t believe it! I am not even planning on using it but I might “just because.” It is so weird they allow it.

• Kristen L June 3, 2013 at 12:36 PM #

Actually, the tri I did this weekend actually said it was OK to wear headphones on the run when I checked in! Maybe race directors are starting to allow it since so many road runs do??

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM #

Interesting! I think it probably depends on the course. Was your tri a closed course? Pac Crest run is all on a path so maybe that is why. I have seen people on Ironman courses with music and it makes me so mad. It is one thing to use it when you are allowed but totally different when you aren’t!

3. OneMotherofaDay May 31, 2013 at 7:27 AM #

I do actually run w/ my ipod shuffle, usually with just one ear bud in though. I know I should at least run half of my runs disconnected so that I can really enjoy what is around me. 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 31, 2013 at 8:56 PM #

One ear bud in is a good idea. Just for safety! 🙂 I feel like it just gives you more energy!

4. Kimra June 3, 2013 at 2:45 PM #

I’ve always run to music (or podcasts, actually) but I’m trying to train myself out of it for triathlon season. Granted, I did cave on my last two long runs, but I’m kind of looking forward to trying a whole 13.1 miles without music in a couple of weeks.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 3, 2013 at 8:59 PM #

It is so hard! Especially on long runs! I do like do it half and half with no music and then with music. You can try that while trying to get off the music. 🙂

5. Kara June 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM #

I’ve always been a “run with music” type of girl! It motivates me sooo much. But I have run a few races without it (and triathlons obviously) and I don’t feel much different without it…meaning, I’m fine if I train with it but race without it…if that makes sense. I guess because the race atmosphere usually pumps me up anyway!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 4, 2013 at 10:58 PM #

That is great if you can train with it and than not use it in the race!! That is probably a good trait to have! 🙂