Coconut Cacao Date Balls

9 Jun

My race went really well this morning. I am super excited to tell you all of the dirty details. I am trying to collect some pictures to put with it so I do not bore you with just words. You will have to wait until tomorrow!! 🙂

I am on day 11 of the challenge. It is rough but I am getting through it! I am sad that I did not make an amendment to the challenge so that I could have a treat today.

I am sad but glad. I think that had I made the amendment I would have to start all over again! It was hard enough trying to get through the first couple days once but to have to do it again. No thanks!

I feel like I have really progressed in the last 11 days. I have slept really good. I had another PR this morning! I feel good! I do think that something has happened. Not sure what…but something! Now if I can continue with the momentum and do something awesome at Pac Crest than this madness will all be worth it!!

In light of not having a treat today Jessica and I have planned the “big treat”! The “I survived the challenge-post Pac Crest treat” is going to be sundaes from What’s The Scoop?!! I told her that I will drive from Sunriver Sunday June 30th to What’s the Scoop and we will eat sundaes!! Yes! I am already super excited!

I have never really liked “good for you” treats but I thought I would try out a couple of recipes. Here is a Coconut Cacao Date Ball recipe. There is chocolate in it but it is unsweetened. I am not sure what the point of having chocolate in it if it is unsweetened but what the hell I had some so I used it!

Coconut Cacao Date Balls

What to use:
IMG_2009[1]

8 dates, pitted and torn apart
3/4 cup old fashioned oats
3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water

What to do:
1. Put all the ingredients except for the water into the bowl of a food processor. Process on low until everything is well combined.
IMG_2004[1]
2. Gradually add the water while still processing until the dough begins to stick to itself.
3. Roll the dough into balls.
4. Refrigerate until you need to eat them!

IMG_2005[1]

ENJOY!! I think they are good. They are very almond-y though! I think I have some coconut extract so I might use that the next time instead to give it more of a coconut-y flavor. I am still not sure what the chocolate is for? But it has a nice crunch. Another idea is to get rid of the chocolate and put in almonds?

Would you rather have “real” dessert or “healthy” dessert?

Let me know if you make these…and if you change them up!

14 Responses to “Coconut Cacao Date Balls”

1. Mrs. JLB June 9, 2013 at 11:32 PM #

Those look yum! Unsweetened chocolate has a lot of good stuff in it, like antioxidants, so there is a purpose for it…just maybe not in your world 🙂 Great job on sticking to your challenge and can’t wait for the deets on the race! xoxo.

2. Luv What You Do June 10, 2013 at 5:27 AM #

Way to go on sticking with the challenge! I make a date ball like this with cacao powder, but I love the idea of big chunks of chocolate. Looks AWESOME!

3. This Fit Chick June 10, 2013 at 7:26 AM #

YUM! I’m super tempted to grab that pure chocolate and munch it down… my favorite 🙂

4. Change of Pace June 10, 2013 at 9:08 AM #

Yay for the PR! Looking forward to reading about it and seeing photos!
    And way to go on the challenge! I’m definitely a real dessert kind of girl! If I have a healthy dessert, I still crave a real one after!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM #

Thanks!!!
      Exactly!! I can eat all the healthy desserts I want but I just want a real one afterwards!! 😦 What is wrong with us? 🙂

5. Kara June 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM #

Yay, congrats on your PR! Can’t wait to hear all about it!! I don’t really like coconut or chocolate (I know, who am I) so I’m not sure I’d love those coconut cacao date balls, haha. But they do LOOK tasty! Maybe I could do some substitutions or something 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM #

I am going to make another date ball recipe…that I think will be similar to the peanut butter Lara Bar. Do you at least like peanut butter? 🙂
      You could just do almonds instead of the chocolate and coconut?!?

6. Sweaty & Sweet June 10, 2013 at 6:39 PM #

Congrats on making it 11 days! I can hardly go a week without sweets. I do have a “good for you ” treat that helps satisfy my own cravings…oatmeal “cookies” that are super easy to make….but I most definitely like “real” desserts best 😉

7. Kristy June 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM #

So 12 days! Wahoo!!
    Congrats on another PR! You are amazing!
    So I was driving home from the gym tonight and I was very, very hungry. I had a bowl of rice and an apple for lunch 8 hours earlier. I turned on my turn signal and my blinker started click-clicking along. But instead of it going “click-click,” it started mocking me and went, “cupcake, cupcake, cupcake!”

8. Kristen L June 11, 2013 at 8:52 AM #

I totally thought I posted yesterday… anyway — guess I forgot.

Can’t wait to hear about your PR! And keep it up on the no desserts — you are doing great and feeling good. 🙂 At least these date balls are a good little treat.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:54 PM #

I feel like the date balls just take the edge off a little bit! 🙂 I finally feel like I am in control. I don’t even want to have dessert again because then the cycle just starts all over! Even though I am excited for my ice cream sundae after Pac Crest!