Blue Lake Olympic Tri Race Report

12 Jun

Before thoughts: I wanted to take this race a bit more aggressive than I have in the past. This is typically the only Olympic I do each season. It is sort of the kick off to tri-season even though most years I have done Wildflower before this!

You are supposed to “HURT” while racing an Olympic. There is nothing comfortable about this race. You go out there and do it and it is over!

My PR was from REV3 Portland 2012 (2:47:xx) which is the same course as Blue Lake. I had taken 2 minutes off of my time from BL 2011 but mostly just transition times. The swim was a little longer, bike was the same, and the run was a tad shorter. I have been chipping away at this PR for many years but just by a few minutes each year.

Darcie, my friend, the club presidents wife, is a killer photographer! She took over 200 photos of everyone in the club! Total rock star!

That being said: Blue Lake 2013 Race Report

Up at 5:30:
Breakfast: oatmeal, peanut butter, and blueberries. coconut water; sipped Nuun the rest of the morning
Dressed: Lots of sunscreen (because I thought the sun was going to make an appearance) and lots of body glide.

6:30: Greg and I were out the door and on our way!

7:00: arrived; body marked; set up transitions; talked to some peeps; Big pic of the Portland Tri Club. We totally represented this year. It was awesome seeing so many kits out there! quick swim warm up; cloud cover and it was cool.

Rob, Jenny(who thinks it is 35 degrees out), Me, Sarah, and Joann

Rob, Jenny(who thinks it is 35 degrees out), Me, Sarah, and Joann

8:06: (Goal: 29:30; Actual: 26:40) Go time! Wave 3. There was still cloud cover and the water felt great. Started off decent. Did a little drafting to the first buoy and then I somehow lost everyone at the turn. I was sighting good. Buoy to Buoy! The big pack was more toward the shoreline. I could not figure out why they were so far away. I just kept pulling and doing some flutter kicking here and there. I caught up to some blue caps(wave 2). I was drafting a little as I would pass them. I was feeling good. Made it to the turn around buoy and it was on. I was passing lots of blue caps and drafting off of them. I thought multiple times…you need to be out of breath this is an Olympic race! I felt like I was pushing harder than I have before. I got to the end and the last 200 meters seem like it took forever! It always seems to take a long time to get out of the water. It is weird. Does anyone else think that? πŸ™‚

Out of the swim!

Out of the swim!

Got out of the water and saw Nik, Sheryl & Julie, James & Sebastian, Z-Dog, Darc, and Wyatt, & Kellie. Made the run into transition. The swim start/finish and transition always seems to be in different spots every year. I did like this set up best. It was quick from the swim to transition.

T1: (Goal: 2:30; Actual: 2:38) I had a hard time getting my wetsuit off for whatever reason; Otherwise pretty uneventful! It was still cloudy. I put on my shades thinking that the sun would come out.

Bike: (Goal 1:12; Actual: 1:11(avg 20.4mph)) Again just wanted to go out and not hammer too hard but get it done faster than I have before! Still cloud covering. The weather was perfect! I felt like there was a head wind on the way out. There are signs that give you, your speed, for cars. I never noticed that they give the cycles their speed as well! SO FUN! I was cruising at 19mph. I did not want to look at my watch(because as you guessed it my bike computer is still on the fritz…it may never get fixed) 😦 I kept in aero. The entire time. I thought as soon as the turn around hits we will have a tailwind! I was sadly mistaken. I still did not know what my speed was. I was trying to kick it up a little more. I felt like I was not going into a headwind anymore but I did not feel like I was going much faster. Cruising right along. I finished the one bottle of nutrition I had and kind of wished I had a little more. Finished up the bike strong!

T2: (Goal: 1:00; Actual: 1:37) fast transition; It was still cloudy so I took the shades off; I did stop for water because I did not have any on the bike. I left transition with 1:44 elapsed on my watch. I had sub 63 minutes to a new PR.

Go me!!

Go me!!

Run: (Goal: 59:00; Actual: 56:43(avg 9:08)) Here goes nothing. I hoped I still had some left in the tank. I held Erica off until about 1/2 mile into the run. She blew passed me and looked great. The first mile was good but hard. 9:15. Ouch! Probably too fast. 2nd mile: 9:03 OH MAN! That was definitely too fast. At this point I do not even want to look at my watch again. I felt like those numbers were too fast. I always try to pace myself but not sure if that was actually happening today. Passed through the aid station and turn around. Still feeling relatively good. Probably best that I had not seen the 8:59 and 8:54 for miles 3 and 4. I had half a gu at mile 2ish and the other half at mile 4ish. Just over 2 miles left. I only had to keep it together for 2 more miles. Stephanie passed me at about this point. She looked great! Just kept running! I saw everyone on the run. A local race is so fun because there are so many people you know out there on the course! Mile 5 and 6 were slower splits but still decent. 9:13 and 9:14. The last 1/3-1/2 mile are in the park. These little rolling hills were tough. I just kept pushing through and knew I had a PR but did not know by how much!! Finished strong saw lots of peeps in that final stretch to and through the chute! 2:39:13! New PR!! YES!! Not only was this a fast run but it trumps my stand alone 10k PR by about 2 minutes. What has happened to me?!

So happy to be finishing!

So happy to be finishing!

It was a great day. Perfect weather. Everyone had a great race. No flat tires! Lots of PR’s! I had a unbelieveable race. I am excited to see what happens at Pac Crest!
IMG_1998[1]

This is the first year AA sports has given out medals since ’08. People complain there are no medals. Then they complain they have to pay for them. The oly racers got lucky and got one for free because none of the sprint racers wanted to buy them. Suckas!! It is a pretty legit medal too. Not like the ones they used to give out!

Shout outs to my ladies: Erica was 3rd in our age group! I held her off until the run but she killed it all the way through with a strong finish! Laura barely missed the podium and came in 4th in her age group! Stephanie came in 7th in our age group! I finished a few minutes after Steph in 8th in our age group. It is going to be fun training for Ironman with you guys next year!!

You have seen these ladies before: Erica, Laura, Me, and Stephanie

You have seen these ladies before: Erica, Laura, Me, and Stephanie

Another PR in the books. Another Blue Lake Oly in the books. Pac Crest is in 17 days. Which means I am on day 14 of the challenge! It is June in Portland and it has started to rain when I have 2 big rides this weekend. Dang it?!

Who else raced this weekend? Tell me about it??!

24 Responses to “Blue Lake Olympic Tri Race Report”

1. gogogo! June 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM #

woohoo! great job with the pr! i did the sprint tri and the same thing happened – no tailwind on the way back. (same as last year). that is always a slight disappointment but oh well. i improved my time by 4 minutes.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:49 PM #

YAY!! Congrats to you!! I hate when you think you are going to have a tailwind and then you don’t! 😦

2. tribalancegirl June 13, 2013 at 3:39 AM #

Soooo stinking excited for you. I felt like I was biting my nails the entire time screaming at you to keep going! Your poor bike computer… doesn’t that stink. Maybe it’s a good thing. You could concentrate on feel and warm up those legs to kill your 10k. Another PR there…woo hooo! You’re rocking it and I know you’re going to have a great ironman training season. I signed up for a sprint on Sunday. I know.. A sprint is SUPER short, but I haven’t been on the bike or in the pool much. I’m excited. Great race report and congrats to you and your team. Everyone did so well.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:45 PM #

Thanks!!!
      I am so excited for you–to do a sprint this weekend!! Good Luck!! I am sure you will do great!!

3. Sherrie June 13, 2013 at 6:47 AM #

Great job, Leslie! You are rock in’ it! Look out, PAC Crest!!!

4. Luv What You Do June 13, 2013 at 6:50 AM #

Congrats!!! That is an amazing race and a time to be proud of! I did one Olympic distance race and I loved it. I’m hoping to find another one to do later in the season this year, but it definitely takes a lot of time to train. You are and your girls are inspiring!!!

5. Joann June 13, 2013 at 9:21 AM #

Great job on your PR Leslie!! You are having a great season so far this year which is totally awesome!! Always feels soo good to see the results of all the hard work we put into the sport!!! πŸ™‚
    Another way to spot Jenny on a race is by searching for her ski/winter hats! She will, no matter what time a year, dress witnerish before a race! At our morning sessions at the gym she will show up like she is in the coldest place on earth and I’m usually wearing shorts and flip flops! LOL Classic Winter Jenny style is her signature style! πŸ™‚
    Looking forward to our July pizza/cake date!! You should look into the wknd of July 13-14 or 27-28 πŸ™‚

6. Erica Heagy June 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM #

Nice work lady! I was trying to catch you on the bike…you are too fast, Slow Down! :)You Rock! Thanks for the shout out. I Can’t wait for many more races together. Erica

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM #

Thanks!! I knew you were trying to catch me….I knew you would kill me on the run so I had to go as fast as I could on the bike!! πŸ™‚

7. falcor007 June 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM #

Love it! I haven’t done an Oly in FOREVER. I’ve turned into an endurance snob I guess. This has reignited me to sign up for some shorter races and crush it. Can’t wait to do Pac Crest with you! Whoop whoop!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:40 PM #

Pac Crest is going to be so great!! I am a little nervous that it is going to be super hot!

• falcor007 June 13, 2013 at 9:41 PM #

We will crush it. And your challenge will be done, so TREATS!!!! πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:56 PM #

DEFINITELY!!! Can’t wait!!

8. Change of Pace June 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM #

Congratulations on an amazing race! I LOVE the first running photo of you- that’s what it’s about- loving what you’re doing!!
    Wow- amazing swim time! You absolutely crushed your goal!
    Do you think the challenge helped in any way? (Say yes to encourage me to do better at that!)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 13, 2013 at 9:38 PM #

THANKS!! I am sure the challenge helped at least a little bit. I feel really good! I was thinking today that as much as I want to have a treat…I don’t want to! Does that make sense? πŸ™‚

9. Kimra June 13, 2013 at 2:24 PM #

Sounds like a killer race β€”Β and you look so happy doing it, too! And woohoo for PRs (plural, if you count the 10K, haha!)

10. Mrs. JLB June 15, 2013 at 12:20 AM #

Congrats on the new PRs!!! xoxo.

11. Kara July 9, 2013 at 1:27 PM #

YOU ARE SO AWESOME!! This is amazing! Congratulations on your PR – sounds like maybe you’re starting to like running a little more? Just a little? πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM #

Thanks!!! I do love running. I just feel like I am just not that good at it! πŸ™‚ I am getting faster little by little!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Farmers Market + Blue Lake Tri | Triathlete Treats - June 7, 2014

[…] kind of want to look back at my times from last year but I kind of don’t. I had a good solid race last year but I was only training for halfs. We aren’t doing much speed work because we are training for […]