Why every TRIATHLETE should swim with Masters!

21 Jun

I really wanted to get faster in the water. I met Amy at the track last April. We got to talking and she was the one that told me that Chris was the coach of the Masters “team” at Duniway! I told her I was interested in checking it out!
IMG_2065[1]

I did! It was hard but I loved it! I have been swimming there every Tuesday and Thursday from 5:30am to 7am for the last 14 months. (for the most part)! When I signed up last April I knew I was only going to do this until Pac Crest this year. I am focusing on running for the 2nd half of the year. Why is it we have to have our schedules planned out a year in advance?! Crazy talk!

For the most part it is all triathletes. There are a few “swimmers” in the A lane. It was a sad day in April when Chris sent us an email saying he was going to quit coaching us. He gave us a months worth of work-outs until they found a new coach. There is a serious problem with Duniway’s management and we JUST got a new coach yesterday! We recycled Chris’ work-outs more than once. I guess it was better than nothing!

Our new coach, Jill’s, first work-out for us: (I was just glad it was not a threshold test) 🙂
IMG_2067[1]

I have been counting down the last 8 swim practices. Mostly because I am tired of getting up at 4:50 on Tuesday and Thursday. Yesterday was my last practice and I am actually more sad than I thought I would be.

I plan on swimming once a week through the summer at an outdoor pool. I might do a for fun tri at the end of the summer plus I want to work on my tan. (or getting rid of my farmers tan) Grant Pool just opened for the season. I thought I would go today and check it out but it is not sunny!! 😦

YES! 3 TIMES!!

YES! 3 TIMES!!

Here are my reasons you will LOVE Masters swimming:
1-You will BECOME STRONGER and FASTER! Just by going 2x a week!
2-IT IS MUCH MORE FUN SWIMMING WITH A GROUP. Who wants to do 3000-4000 meters by them self multiple times a week.
3-YOUR LANE PUSHES YOU HARDER. When I swim by myself it is hard to push myself.
4-YOU FIND TRAINING PARTNERS FOR OTHER DAYS. I swam with Greg, on a 3rd day, for about 3 months leading up to IMAZ.
5-YOU WILL ENJOY SWIMMING MORE. Just because you will be better at it.
6-YOU HAVE A COACH TO GIVE YOU TIPS. If you are doing something wrong they can work with you on it. You will be more efficient=faster=better swim times.

The reasons you will HATE masters swimming:
1-YOU ARE MORE HUNGRY. Especially after threshold work outs!!
2-THESOLD WORK OUTS SUCK!!! But you have to do them anyway!!

The good out weigh the bad! If you are thinking about joining a team…DO IT! If you do not like to swim…DO IT!! If you are bad at swimming…DO IT!! Do not think about it…Just DO IT!!

Lane C: Christy, Erica, Cami, and Me with Lane A's Richard "the flirt"

Lane C: Christy, Erica, Cami, and Me with Lane A’s Richard “the flirt”

Yesterday may have been my final Masters swim for the season but I will be back for more when I start Ironman training in December! You better believe it.

Can anyone think of other good reasons?

Do you participate in a Masters Swim?

14 Responses to “Why every TRIATHLETE should swim with Masters!”

1. Laura June 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM #

If you plan on swimming on a Friday morning, let me know. I will join you.

2. Erica Heagy June 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM #

I will miss your laugh and language at 5:30am! 🙂 Looking forward to the next race!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 21, 2013 at 4:37 PM #

Ahhh thanks! December will come fast and I will be sad to be getting up so early in the morning again but it will be worth it!! 🙂

3. Southern Girl on a Mission June 21, 2013 at 1:28 PM #

Started the Masters program almost a month ago (2x a week), and I absolutely love it. I only got in one swim this week due to traveling and a busier than normal work schedule, and I felt like I missed a month! I’ve noticed a great deal of improvement in just a few weeks. I tried to start swimming again on my own to train for an upcoming sprint tri, but I just wasn’t getting it. I needed a coach. It’s the best decision I’ve made (and well worth the money).

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM #

Awesome!! Wait until you see your swim times drop!! It was the best decision I have made also!!!

4. Luv What You Do June 21, 2013 at 4:58 PM #

I am always so impressed with the people swimming at 5am! I love the idea of Masters but the schedules and timing never works for me. Total bummer because I could totally use the work in the pool. Maybe one day!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 21, 2013 at 5:03 PM #

Maybe your schedule will allow it sometime! I can’t even express to you how much I love it!! I hate swimming on my own now. (which kind of sucks)!!

5. Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} June 21, 2013 at 5:04 PM #

Last summer I took swim lessons as an adult and it was a great decision. It helped with my confidence and my technique. I wish there was a Master’s swim team around here but I don’t think there is. Swimming is my most dreaded aspect of triathlon and I hate swim training days. I am only doing sprint tris this summer, so my longest swim is only 0.6 miles. I can’t fathom doing a HIM or IM, you are amazing!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 21, 2013 at 5:20 PM #

I am glad you got some lessons! I am sorry you do not like swimming!! I hope you can wear a wetsuit that seems to help also!! 🙂

6. Kristen L June 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM #

Once I finish my PhD, I think I would like to do a Master’s swim group. I’m not too great at swimming, and like you said — it would definitely help me with form and how to do a hard swim workout.

7. Kara July 9, 2013 at 1:33 PM #

I love this – so true. I’ve gone to a couple masters swim classes…they definitely push you harder and it’s more fun! It really helps you get our of your comfort zone and learn more. Waking up at 4:50AM is pretty intense though, haha!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Weekly Recap PC Training Week #22 | Triathlete Treats - June 24, 2013

[…] TAPER HAS OFFICALLY STARTED! Last Masters Swim 3200 meters mostly aerobic + Light fartlek run 3:75 miles + 14 mile […]

2. Swimming Lately! | Triathlete Treats - January 10, 2014

[…] can’t believe its January! I guess that means I need to start swimming MORE! When I quit my Masters Swim last June I fully intended to go back to it some time in the beginning of […]