Numbers…Oh I Mean Goals!

26 Jun

I can not tell you how excited I am for this weekend! I am nervous too. I love racing. It is always the best part of the training cycle. This is it. PAC CREST or BUST!! My “A” race of the year. This is where I let everything happen. I leave everything on the course and NO LOOKING BACK! I really just want to have a good race. If that is a sub 6 or a 6:30, if I raced hard and felt good, I will be happy with the outcome.

I feel like in the last 18 months I have gotten somewhat competitive. I do not know if I have finally learned to “race” -OR- from training harder and racing faster -OR- If it is from living with Greg (who is super competitive). Whatever it is I WILL take it. I just want to do the BEST that I can do on that day.

Given that…We are 3 days out…here is what the weather is going to look like:
tempbend

So much for having a good race! The temperature is rising daily. It is going to be HOT!! It was HOT at WF and I kept it together pretty good. I just have to stay strong, mentally tough, and stay hydrated!! It is a good thing I recently got a huge order of Nuun in the mail! 🙂

Lets totally over-analysis my stats and goals for Pac Crest! I have only done the long course at PC once. But the same year was my first year at WF.

spread
2009 Wildflower:
wf09
2009 Pac Crest:
pc09
As you can see I had a 30 minute faster race at PC than WF. It was all pretty much the bike(26 minutes)!! Which is obviously my strength. Could I take 26 minutes off my bike again? That would put me at a 2:51? That seems highly unlikely! Steve (Moan) keeps telling me I will make up all the time on the 14 mile decent. Interesting.

I am definitely faster in the water and running than in 2009. Will the elevation hurt me? OR the heat?

Moving on:
Black Diamond 2012–my CURRENT PR:
bd13

This was an awesome race. I went into it with no goals. I only tapered somewhat. I had done a 80 mile ride with Moan the weekend before. (We were both training for IMAZ) I kept strong and mentally tough! I feel like I was swimming faster at that point than now though. The bike was rolling hills. The run was HOT! PC has the harder climb but it also has the 14 mile decent. Where you go SO FAST!!

2013 Wildflower:
wf13

If I compare this years WF time with PC ’09. Here is what I see. 36 minute swim, 2:30 T1, 3:09 bike, 2 minute T2, 2:27 run. Putting me at 6:16:30. I WOULD LOVE to go lower than that!

Here is what I know: I am a faster swimmer, biker, and runner than I was in 2009. I have learned to keep mentally strong and dig deep. I am about POSITIVE I can go sub 6:40 and POSSIBLY sub 6. I just have to race hard but be smart. I have my preliminary time goals written down in my race plan getting me in at 6:03. It is more on the lines of <36 minute swim; 2:30 T1; <3:05 bike; 2:00 T2; <2:18 run. I just have to take 4 minutes off of that for a PR! Can I do it?

Here are a couple of things I need to keep in mind on race day:

erica

joann

dan

My secret goal is out: to beat Moan again! I beat him in AZ. I had a great race and unfortunately he did not. The plan is to beat him again. The problem is he is not planning on running so he can go hard on the bike! The real plan is for him to catch up to me on the bike. so I can draft off him. So we can ride together!!

Anyone else racing this weekend?

15 Responses to “Numbers…Oh I Mean Goals!”

1. Dan Weinsoft (@OriginalDanimal) June 26, 2013 at 3:42 PM #

Great analysis. Now all you have to do is get out there and BEAT MOAN!! And probably drink some water too.

2. Kristen L June 26, 2013 at 3:43 PM #

I’m excited for you! I think you are going to crush this race! Hopefully the weather will be cool enough in the morning and not get hot too quickly. I’ll be cheering you on from afar!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM #

Yes!! That is what I am thinking! I just wish the lake wasn’t 25 miles away for an ice bath!! 🙂

3. Herbivore Triathlete June 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM #

You can do it! Just remember your training and stay confident in your ability to get that sub-6 time! Wow. I can’t even imagine doing a HIM, I’m debating whether I’m ready to take the leap and try an Oly this fall!

Good luck and ROCK IT OUT!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM #

THANKS!! I am so excited!! I feel somewhat confident just because I have done it before. This is just a harder course! 🙂
      Yes!!! Take the leap!! Just get a beginner training plan and do it!! 🙂

4. MoM June 26, 2013 at 4:06 PM #

I need your BIB number and the website so I can follow you. SO excited. YOU are ready. Another thought you can think about during the race is how proud your mom is of you and how much she loves you!!!!

5. tribalancegirl June 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM #

Winners make it happen and you are a true winner. You commitment to your training and your ability to analyze your progress is phenomenal. You already have that competitive edge and it isn’t even race day. Don’t worry about the weather. You can’t change it and it is what it is. Just know you’re body is ready and I’m so excited to hear how you do 🙂 Fear No Distance!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2013 at 9:35 PM #

THANKS!! I am getting more excited as the days go on. I dealt with the weather at WF so I just have to keep it together for 13 more miles!! 🙂

6. Change of Pace June 26, 2013 at 7:47 PM #

Your progress has been incredible this year! I’m positive you’ll do well, regardless of the weather!
    Good luck! I can’t wait to hear about it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM #

THANKS!! I am getting excited!!! My coach says to not worry about the weather either!! It is what it is! It is all about hydration!! I can’t wait to hear about your race and the new swim start!!!

7. erintris June 27, 2013 at 12:08 PM #

Go get um girl! All your training is done and you carry solid numbers. You have been watching your sugars and keeping hydrated. I have every confidance (even with the weather) that you will kick this races behind and have a great time doing it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 27, 2013 at 12:15 PM #

THANKS!! I am excited but nervous!! I feel really good. I am glad that I decided to give up dessert and treats for this month! I think that it has really helped!! 🙂

8. Kimra June 27, 2013 at 2:36 PM #

You sound so ready to race! Hydrate and have fun!