Finishing UP Vacation

14 Jul

I am not going to lie!! I am never taking a week off…EVER AGAIN!!! It was so nice not working out but getting back into it has been rough! I know people say it is hard taking a long term break and getting back into it is hard. It was only a week. I need to get a grip!

That being said you will understand more when I tell you what I did in the last 4 days.

Thursday morning after getting back to P-town I thought I would tackle a 10 mile run. Well that was hard. Not terrain hard but mentally hard! I need to do this distance 3 times next weekend all in 30 hours with none to almost no sleep. I guess I better get used to it!

Friday I went to spin class which was fun but left my hip flexors sore.

Saturday was another 12 (which ended up being 11.6) mile run. Dan decided he would accompany me on this one. He only needed to run 9. We ran 9 on the trail and then he drove to coffee and I ran down to meet him. I had an iced coconut mocha. It was delicious. Another mentally hard run. It was nice that Dan ran with me cause he talked a lot and I just listened! I am not sure what is wrong with me. I need to snap out of it and QUICK!

Sunday was a 51 mile ride. Since Dan happily accompanied me on my run yesterday I thought I would be nice and go with him today. We had a relatively flat ride. We set out on the dirty 30 and rode 2 loops around Sauvies Island. We rode at a pretty good clip. Most of the first 20 miles were into a stiff headwind. Miserable. Most of the loops were into a headwind. Not sure how that is possible but it was! We had a fast ride back into town. The Seattle to Portland bike ride was finishing today so there were lots of slow people riding back into town. It didn’t slow us down too much.

In other better news:

A certain Kick Ass Triathlete, Abby, requested I re-make the nutella paninis I had in San Antonio. I asked just about everyone I know in Portland if they had a panini press. No LUCK! I ended up buying one.

I have been making paninis like a boss for most of the weekend! I have to get my moneys worth right? (I will post about the nutella paninis later this week)
This one had: tofu, goats milk brie, tomato, avocado, and spicy mustard. (made this one 2 different times) The bread was lightly coated with olive oil.

This one had egg, arugula, tomato, feta, and chipotle mustard. The bread was coated with butter.

They were both delicious!!

I finally got to go to What’s the Scoop and have my post-challenge/Pac Crest treat this afternoon.

It was pretty amazing. Well worth the 30 days of suffering I waited to have this.

I wanted to have the Hosack Sundae but I had just eaten a Panini so I just went for the Baked Oregon. Brownie, a scoop of the brown butter almond brittle and a scoop of the Kahlua espresso with fudge, caramel, magic dust, magic shell, and marshmallow!

My vacation officially ends at 7:30 tomorrow morning. Loved it but back to the grind!!

Have you ever taken an extended amount of time off from working out?

Do you have a panini press? Any good ideas?

10 Responses to “Finishing UP Vacation”

1. Lupe July 14, 2013 at 10:03 PM #

I feel you gurll!!! Just getting back from my vacay too! Don’t have a panini press but those look awesome btw!!! I didn’t run on the beach as much as I had wanted to in la jolla! Only two days!!! My neice any nephews were so cute and wanted to play every morning so I stayed in and played with them!!! I am screwed when I have my own kids! It’s gonna be hard if I ever have some! You are amazing and keep up your workouts and paninis! I wish I could have seen u in AZ! Let me kno if u are gonna do the half in Cali por favor!

2. Southern Girl on a Mission July 15, 2013 at 4:44 AM #

Yes, just finished an intense 8-day almost 24/7 work project that left me way too mentally drained to even do a late night treadmill run at the gym! In addition to not training for over a week, I’ve been stress eating like crazy. Ovey! I’m so glad this is over, but, you’re right, I’m so nervous about starting again as I have my first Tri in less than two weeks. But, it’s time to buck up and suck it up because the work allows me to do these fun things. Good luck with getting back into traing! I know I’m looking forward to it….despite what my times might look like.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2013 at 7:44 AM #

Good luck in your “re-entry”!! That is tough when work gets in the way! Your first tri!!! That is so exciting…good luck and have fun!!

3. Kristen L July 15, 2013 at 1:43 PM #

It can be tough to get back into workouts after taking a break! Like you mentioned, the mental side I think is what is worst. I bet now that you’ve gotten through a few mentally challenging workouts, you will get back into the swing of things.

I love paninis! But, no panini press. Looks like you are having fun with it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2013 at 7:40 AM #

I think it was a HUGE mental block! I am feeling much better this week so hopefully Ragnar will go well!

4. Change of Pace July 15, 2013 at 5:06 PM #

Love the shoutout AND that you bought a panini press to make that goodness. Wow- the second panini looks and sounds amazing! Can’t wait for the Nutella recipe.
    I never could have waited 30 days to eat that! If I’m ever in Portland, can you please take me there for the Baked Oregon?
    Getting back into it can be hard, but it looks like you dove right in!
    I’ll have to write about the one time I took about a month off. It wasn’t pretty!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 17, 2013 at 7:40 AM #

I can’t wait to post about the nutella paninis…you are going to die!!!
      Yes!! Come to Portland!!!
      It has been easier to work out this week. Almost back to normal…I think!! ๐Ÿ™‚

5. tribalancegirl July 16, 2013 at 3:47 AM #

I love paninis. They are so tasty. I have a George Forman and I use it sometimes. I don’t have that much storage in this house so it’s difficult to pull in and out often. Oh my goodness… your paninis sound absolutely delicious!!!! Seriously awesome and your post treat is even better. If I could, I would fly there and order the SAME thing. YUM.
    Great ride and run. It’s always nice to take a break, but I always feel I pay the price afterwards. Uggh! Have a great week

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. I’ve Got My Running MoJo BACK! | Triathlete Treats - July 31, 2013

[…] you remember my after vacation posts, I was not running very well or very happy. It may have been a combination of recovery from Pac […]

2. The NEW Challenge + Giveaway Winner | Triathlete Treats - August 5, 2013