Ragnar Packing List

18 Jul

RAGNAR

As I was preparing for Ragnar NWP this weekend I quickly found out I did not have a packing list. Like triathlon packing I have a file in my head of what I need and how to pack. This will be my 5th running relay. I guess I have another file for what to pack in my head as well. It is a little more fuzzy than my triathlon one so I thought I would get it on paper.

Before I even start this list I have to tell you that I am a minimalist. I do not bring a lot of extra “stuff”. I bring the necessities and that is it!

CLOTHES
SET OUT: 3 sets of clothes. PUT THEM IN: 3 separate plastic baggies. This alleviates having to dig through your bag for all the different parts of each clothing change.

**In my opinion, this is the MOST IMPORTANT part of packing for a relay. ANY RELAY!**

In each baggie:
visor (or hat)
shirt
sports bra
capris
socks
compression socks

2 pairs of running shoes–I have always taken only 1 pair but I am getting crazy this year and taking 2.

2 pairs of shorts
a couple tank tops/shirts
1 sweatshirt
sweat pants
Pjs (for hotel rooms)
socks/underwear/bras
toiletries

**Another tip: This is just what I do but it works pretty well. After each leg I take a “relay shower” which consists of going into the porty potty or van and wiping down with a wet wipe. Then proceeding to put on the next legs outfit. You are “half-way” clean, less sweaty, stinky and you are all set for your next leg. This eliminates bringing “hang out” clothes.**

IMPORTANT ITEMS:
Reflexive vest
Headlamp
Hand-held water bottle or fuel belt (more for ultras…but if it is going to be hot it could be a good idea also)
Racebelt (or just pin your bib on your shirt)
Body glide
Sunscreen
Sunglasses
Road ID
Gu, gels, bars, nutrition

LESS IMPORTANT ITEMS:
iPod
Garmin
Chargers for everything!
Cowbell

OTHER ITEMS:
Towel–You will want to take a real shower at some point
Sleeping bag–If you are able to sleep a bit
Pillow

FOOD:
Chocolate milk
uncrustables
fruit

TEAM ITEMS:
Water
Coconut water
Gatorade
Nuun hydration kit
Peanut butter pretzels
Big box of wet wipes/baby wipes

Van decorations/blue tape/window markers
Now supposedly these are the BEST window markers. We had a team swear by them last year. I will do a full review if they are that good or bad. πŸ™‚

Costumes
Here is our shirt. Ellen designed it for us. Our team name is “Ultra Dicey” She got us our shirts through Custom Ink. They did a great job. They are women’s specific and cute.

I am packed and already to go. I hope I have everything!!

UPDATE ON yesterdays TIPS post: My friend, Sherrie, who was a part of my Comin’ In Ultra Hot team from last year brought to my attention that I failed to mention: RUNNING!!
Tip #10: This is an ultra. You will most likely be going your half marathon pace instead of 10K pace. Slow it down a bit. Especially for your first leg. Just getting through the first leg at a little slower pace will guarantee you have a good 2nd/3rd leg! If you go all out and kill yourself the first leg you will not have anything in the tank for your 2nd/3rd.

In my experience. My first leg is just a tad slower than I want it to be. My second leg is right on pace and every time my best leg. My third leg is much harder but still on pace. πŸ™‚

Moral of the story: PACE YOURSELF!!! IT IS A LONG 30 HOURS!!

Do you have any other tips and/or items to add??

17 Responses to “Ragnar Packing List”

1. birdlegs July 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM #

So many comments. First off, coconut water? Vom! You might as well throw some bananas in there. Second, can you bring those markers to CLR? πŸ™‚ Third, should we get a hydration kit for CLR? Fourth, kick ass. Sad I am not with you guys. Fifth, can we please name our team “the sharknados” for Vegas? Sixth, that is all.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM #

I will have you know that coconut water has a lot of electrotypes. Something we will need a lot of at CLR!! Yes!! I am all over the markers for CLR!!! We can get a hydration kit! It is $100 but worth it! I love our new name for LV!

2. Change of Pace July 19, 2013 at 4:55 AM #

That sure is a lot of stuff! I love your ideas of a) plastic bags and b) putting on your next set of clothes as soon as you’re done wiping up.
    Good luck this weekend! Looks like you’ll have a ton of fun!

3. Sherrie July 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM #

You can tell Dana is not on the team this year. She’d never put up with the wet wipes shower! Hey, I’d also add that MUSIC is great too. I liked the “hot” songs we put together last year when we were “Comin’ in Ultra Hot!” Have a great time!!!

4. Kristen L @ DYL July 19, 2013 at 9:05 AM #

Great packing list! I’m already trying to prep in my head for HTC, so this is super helpful. πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM #

Those are definitely the basics! It is hard because you do not want to bring too much but you need to bring enough!! Weather is tricky too!!

5. Eva July 19, 2013 at 9:13 AM #

Have fun!! Can’t wait to read the recap

6. Luv What You Do July 19, 2013 at 10:27 AM #

I just learned about RAGNAR (I was in Madison the day they were leaving for Chicago). Sounds like such a fun race to do! I can’t wait to hear all about it on your blog! What is your fave NUUN flavor?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 26, 2013 at 1:29 PM #

Ragnar is awesome!! Very organized! Great company!! Great races!!!
      My favorite flavor of Nuun right this second is: lemonade. but fruit punch and cherry limade are in a close 2nd. I am doing a Nuun giveaway starting Monday…check it out!

• Luv What You Do July 28, 2013 at 2:38 PM #

I will and need to try the lemonade becuase that sounds really good!

7. Kara July 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM #

I second the plastic bag idea. PLASTIC BAGS ARE THE BEST THING EVER for Ragnar, haha. Putting each outfit in a different bag is so helpful. I also bring a bag to put all the dirty clothes in πŸ™‚

8. Jesica @rUnladylike July 31, 2013 at 1:57 PM #

This packing list is AWESOME! I’m totally pinning it and looking at it before packing for HTC in just 21 days!!! Thanks for the advice!

9. Suzanne Beltz April 30, 2014 at 10:49 AM #

Were those window markers the best ones? We grabbed some Crayola window markers for our last relay, thinking they’d be good but they sucked. Hoping to have something better this time. Thanks!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 30, 2014 at 1:18 PM #

Yes!! Those markers are the best and they come off with baby wipes pretty easily!!! I got those online (and had to buy a ton) and then my boyfriend told me he got them locally!

10. Samantha September 5, 2014 at 10:22 AM #

Lanyard for van keys. Second important hand-off in Ragnar! Ensures not set down and forgotten, locked in or dropped in port-potty!