Running 4x A Week

12 Aug

When I was just a “runner,” I ran 5 or 6 days a week. No problem. Now that I have transitioned into being a “triathlete” I only ever run 3x a week. I have used the 3x a week marathon plan for the last 5ish years. You do a speed, tempo, and long run every week. You cross train 2-3x a week. PERFECT! That has worked well for me.

I was faster and then I got slower and now I am getting faster again. I use “fast” loosely!! I really wanted to get faster and stronger in the later half of 2013 to really prep me for my Ironman in 2014. Well I think it is hard to do when you do relay after relay. By the time you are recovered it is time to do another relay! 🙂 Although I am having a great time with my relays once Hood to Coast is done it will be time to get serious and get to work before Chicago.

That being said. I did 4 runs last week. Really by accident. I was supposed to ride on Saturday but long story short I didn’t have my helmet.

Here is what it looked like:
Tuesday: track work out: 4.5 miles
1 mile warm up
1200-progressive 400: faster by each lap (note fastest lap): 6:38
1200-all 3 laps at (fastest lap: 2:09): 6:27 (this was going to be the hardest interval today) I am not sure how I pulled it off but I did good.
800-both laps at (faster lap: 2:09): 4:17
800-can be up to 10 seconds slower: 4:17 BAM! Felt good!
400-Adrenaline lap–fastest mile all day: 2:04
400-Can be up to 10 seconds slower: 2:04 BAM! Not bad and it actually felt better than the first 400! Did that mean I should do another one? I should have but I did not!
1/2 mile cool down

Thursday: long run 16 miles. I wanted to do it on Thursday because Wednesday is typically my day off. I kept positive. It was sunny out but not too warm. I wore my new Cascade Lakes shirt.
Before:

note the color off the shirt!

note the color of the shirt!

I of course wished I had a tank top on by the end. Chicago is my main focus right now with HTC being a very close second. On the schedule was 16 but instead of doing 16 flat miles(which is what Chicago is) I did a hilly 16 because I have some hills during HTC. I felt pretty good. It was probably too many miles to do 5 days after CLR but I just wanted to get them done!
After:
I was dripping in sweat!!!

I have no idea what my pace should be for my long runs. I just thought I would take it easy. See what comes of it. At about mile 12 I was getting tired. I was just on a flat on my way home with an uphill from mile 14.2ish-14.9ish. I got through it and had a steady pace throughout. I averaged 10:46’s. I was happy with that. I am going to try to do that pace for my flat long run this week and see what happens! I think my nutrition was right about where I want it. I hydrated with Nuun.

I do think that I am still recovering from CLR and it can only get better from here. 🙂

Saturday: Tempo(ish) run: 5.85 miles. I averaged 10:03’s. I ran on the waterfront. Flat with the exception of the downhill and uphill (that I mentioned at the end of my long run). Not a bad average just slower than I hoped for.

Sunday: Hilly 7.75 miles with Dan. We did a hilly loop from his place. After we were done with the (Supposed to be 8) miles…I went up to shower and he went out for another 5! He was awfully sad that he had to keep going and I was done.

Dan: Do you remember when I was done and you had to run longer?
Me: I sure do! Sucka!

Well I did it. Not bad. I wish I knew if it would help me to run more. The schedule I am going off of has me running 5x a week. I just like doing other activities. I get too bored when I run all of the time. It may be because I do not have an “all the time” training partner. We will see how the weeks progress! 🙂

How many days a week do you run??

13 Responses to “Running 4x A Week”

1. Change of Pace August 13, 2013 at 5:27 AM #

Wow- great job running! Especially a long run during the week in the hot sun! It would be hard to consistently run with all the relays you’re in this summer!
    What IM are you doing next year?
    I’m only running two days a week right now. If I had it my way, I’d run five or six! I don’t think my body will allow that anymore though.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM #

Right? We have to think of our body in the long run. I want to do this for a long time!! 🙂
      We are planning on Whistler. We were set on Lake Placid but logistically it will be easier to do Whistler! So I can’t wait to for you to give me all the dirty details! Which IM are you doing next year?

• Change of Pace August 15, 2013 at 6:20 PM #

Yes, Whistler would be much easier for you to get to. And, I think it’ll be an amazing course! It’ll be nice in July, too, so you can have August to do other things!
        I think I’m done with IMs for a while after this one! I’m pretty tired out and miss running!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM #

I am excited they are changing the date!! We will have plenty of summer when we are done!!

So after I am done with Whistler we will be even again! 🙂

2. MoM August 13, 2013 at 7:47 AM #

NONE!

3. Lauren August 13, 2013 at 8:18 AM #

I firmly believe that cross training/strength training is SUPER important and I have never once ran 5 days a week! While I’m no super speedy professional I have improved my times in every race with that strategy. If you don’t want to run that much…don’t 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM #

Awesome!! That is how I usually feel. but sometimes I feel like if I ran more it would be better!! 🙂 I need to start strength training because I KNOW that would help!

4. Kristen L August 13, 2013 at 9:37 AM #

I am not a 5x/week runner either. Lately I have been trying to get in 3x/wk. I’m still impressed that you fit in a long run mid-week. I don’t usually get in more than six on a week day.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 14, 2013 at 8:27 PM #

It is tough! Eating and preparing but sometimes I like to just get it done and over with! 🙂

5. falcor007 August 13, 2013 at 9:59 AM #

3x. I also started out as a runner turned Triathlete. I get bored with all the runs of being “just a runner” but with that being said I always want to become a faster runner. That is my goal in my “off season”: get faster on the run and swim and hit the weights again. Which IM are you doing in 2014?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats August 14, 2013 at 8:26 PM #

Getting faster on the run is always my goal in the “off season”! 🙂 We are doing Whistler! You up for another year??

• falcor007 August 14, 2013 at 8:36 PM #

Not sure yet! I will decide after I do it. 🙂

6. Kara August 23, 2013 at 4:26 PM #

My body can’t handle running more than 3 days a week! (And sometimes not even that!) It’s sad. In high school track and XC I could run 6 days a week without a problem, speedwork and all. And now I’m a mess, haha. Anyway, I’m with you…3 days running + some cross training is perfect!