Lessons Learned!

5 Sep

stronger

I slept in this morning. I am not even going to tell you what time! RIDICULOUS!

I was planning on doing a 10 mile run. Somewhere between tempo and marathon pace. (9:45-10:20) Now that I look at those numbers that is a big gap. I was going to try for right about 10s. 1:40 would get me home. No biggie!

Well the problem was I really did not want to do it. I have no idea why? I have been running good these days. Feeling good these days. Keeping mentally strong these days! I guess it was just one of those days!

The weather was almost perfect. Cloudy but definitely humid! Cooler than its been. It looked like it could rain at any point! I decided on a short sleeve shirt because I was still battling some chafing on my left arm from last weeks runs. I do not normally use music but I thought if I ever needed music today would be that day!!

WHERE.IS.MY.IPOD??

I looked and looked and had to leave. It was noon. It was go time!
dan

I started off ok and settled into an ok pace and my mind took over but I took it back. I was going to do 10 miles. Come on you can do this!!! I finally had a good mile maybe it was going to be ok. I saw a friend at 2.3 that I haven’t seen forever. Stopped to chat was probably a bad idea. 😦 10 minutes later I was off again and it was not pretty. All I wanted to do was go back. It finally was mile 3.

I told myself I could turn around at 4. 8 miles would be plenty. Well that didn’t last. I looked at my watch at 3.46 and stopped at 3.5. 7 was going to be all I had today. I took in half a gu. I wouldn’t normally take one for such a short run but I thought: I NEED SOMETHING!!

I felt better not great. Took the other half at about 5.5 and got through the run. BUT BARELY! I ended up with 10:18 average. NOT BAD for what it was!

Lesson Learned: I think it had more to do with my fueling. I ate dinner at 8pm. I slept good. Had a quick breakfast at 10. I was off at 12. My mind was already not into it. What I should have done was had lunch and gone for a later afternoon run or even evening run. Life will go on and I am sure my next run will be better!

Do you ever have one of those days?

Would you have taken a rest day or what would you have done?

10 Responses to “Lessons Learned!”

1. Mallory September 5, 2013 at 6:54 PM #

If it makes you feel any better I slept until 1:30.
    1:30PM.
    You are a warrior. And just think, running would be so rewarding if there weren’t these kinds of days.
    PS. I MISS YOU.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2013 at 4:34 PM #

What?? But did you go to bed late? I had plenty of sleep that night! πŸ™‚
      I totally agree that if you don’t have these days how are you going to get stronger?!?!? πŸ™‚
      Miss you too!!!

2. Change of Pace September 6, 2013 at 7:45 AM #

I hate days like that! I generally think I would have been better off not going at all. But, good for you for pushing through!
    And the sleep in must have been needed, so you listened to your body!
    A few weeks ago I slept until 9am and was floored because it was so late πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM #

I know right!!!! I can only get stronger from runs like that even if I don’t go the whole distance. I was kind of disappointed but I got over pretty quickly!

3. Kristen L September 6, 2013 at 8:20 AM #

We all have days like that sometimes. I often start to feel better once I get going, so reminding myself that is what gets me out the door. I guess on a day like that you have to proud of yourself for getting out for a few miles (7 is still great!) and know that the next run will be better.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM #

I usually do to that is why I just went!! Had I not seen my friend or had I had music maybe it would have been different! Who knows?!?!? I was happy and disappointed but was ready to race this weekend!

4. Kara September 8, 2013 at 4:22 PM #

I’ve had a ton of runs like that! Sometimes it’s good to push through, other times you just need rest. It’s a very fine line! You can usually tell once you’re a couple miles in…it was probably smartest to stop! You should still be proud!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2013 at 4:44 PM #

It is totally a fine line!!! I was disappointed when I got home but then I thought at least I got 7 done!! πŸ™‚

5. Luv What You Do September 8, 2013 at 4:38 PM #

I just had one of those runs and it was terrible and I just wasn’t into it! I usually just try to cross train, walk or bike when I”m not into it but I do get myself outside. Deep down I know that one bad run won’t break me but I do feel like this is a critical time in our training. I was out of town and ended up doing NO running this weekend after my 20, so it is back to the running tomorrow.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 8, 2013 at 4:56 PM #

These runs can only make us stronger and they definitely won’t make or break our race!! πŸ™‚