Survival Mode!

19 Sep

I had my last LONG LONG SUPER LONG run before I go into taper mode this morning. I was ready. I was extra excited. I think because I knew this was it. 23 miles. 4 hours or BUST! This run should really be setting me up for a good race…if I could survive.

I got a little extra fuel under my fire from my friend Eva (who I am going to visit as we speak!)
twit

It was going to be an early morning. Dan was going to do the first 10 miles with me…early in the dark. I needed to start at 5:15ish to ensure I get done with the run with enough time to take an ice bath before my massage. Life is rough right. Run 23 miles. Get a massage.

At 9:45 last night I realized I did not have a sports bra with me. F***! Epic fail #1

Again I was going to eat a breakfast cookie in bed at 4am. I have brought Dan to the dark side and he ate a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in bed.

I got up at the second alarm. I think I was more anxious than I was last week so I was happy to get up and get going.

We were off and running at 5:20. In the dark. NO headlamp. NO reflective vest. What is wrong with us?

Do you remember when I told you I should never run in the dark, when I am tired, in my Hokas?? Well it happened 1.8 miles I tripped and fell! If someone had been watching from the street it would have looked like I was sliding into first base. NO JOKE! Epic fail #2

Dan was like OMG! Lets just stop and walk for a minute. I collected myself and gave myself a pep talk. This run has to happen RIGHT NOW. There was no turning back. Dan asked if I was ok. I said don’t ask cause I will start crying. He said ok. I proceeded to start crying just for a minute! We started running and he told me some stories about him falling off his bike. I think they were suppose to cheer me up. THEY DID!

About mile 5 a cyclist goes by us and says: You should really get some lights on…its dark out here! I almost screamed NO SHIT! I was just glad I didn’t fall in front of her! πŸ™‚

We saw Ilana at mile 8.6 and she asked if I fell. Oh please do not remind me! She texted me later in the day and said why were you running 23 miles on a Thursday morning? Ha!!

We got back to his place at mile 10. I cleaned off my elbows. Refilled my water and Nuun. Grabbed some more gu’s. I had planned on not taking my music but decided I would use it on this special occasion. I was off to run a half marathon. The sun was out. It was nice and crisp outside.

The miles clicked off. I remembered to look at my watch at 11.5. 2:01:xx. My 2 goals at this point were to negative split this run and still feel like running when I got to mile 23! When I hit the 13.1 mark I was at 2:18:xx <—Same as last week.

I was right on target with my gu and hydration. It always gets hard at 16. I just kept telling myself I could do this. Keep pushing through. I stopped and got water at mile 17. That was my last stop.

6 miles I could do 6 more miles. I was running into a headwind. MISERABLE. I knew when I got to the turn around it would be better because 1) I would be headed back. 2) I would be out of the headwind. I got to 19 to turn around and remember that I felt a lot worse at this point last week. I got to 21. 3:40:xx. Same time as last week. I was right on track. Still feeling relatively good. I still had 2 miles. 20 minutes.

YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU CAN DO THIS! YOU CAN DO THIS!

I was almost back. They were shooting an episode of Portlandia in the area. I wanted to go snoop but I was too tired and did not have enough time!! Sad day!

I was done! I ran 23 miles in 4:01:01. NEGATIVE SPLIT. I barely negative split it but none the less I did it. I think we started off a tad slower today than I did last week. It makes a huge difference! πŸ™‚

I got a cute note on the bag of ice again. Took my ice bath and off to my massage I went!

I arrived in Reno and Eva had made Billionaire Bars! HELLO!! Thanks Eva!!! Delicious!!
If you are lucky enough to see me in Tahoe. You will probably definitely get one!!

Who is doing a long run this weekend?

Anyone baking anything good?

23 Responses to “Survival Mode!”

1. MoM September 20, 2013 at 8:23 AM #

I wish I was there to kiss your boo-boo (that’s what mom’s are for), then share one of those delicious treats that Eva made. I’m thinking Dan is a KEEPER! Have fun in Reno/Tahoe!! See you in three weeks in Chicago!

2. olivetorun September 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM #

Wow! Talk about an epic run…. falling during a run is one of my fears. Nice work getting out there and getting it done!

3. Change of Pace September 20, 2013 at 4:03 PM #

That’s AMAZING you ran THAT far, on a THURSDAY, and AFTER falling! Way to go!!!
    If it makes you feel any better, I fall a lot when I run and I can’t always blame winter conditions.
    I didn’t know you were going to watch IM Tahoe?! HAVE FUN!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 20, 2013 at 4:15 PM #

Thanks!! I was super happy it went well. I figured if it didn’t go well I would at least have an excuse. πŸ™‚
      Yes!! I am so excited to just volunteer/spectate!!

4. Luv What You Do September 20, 2013 at 5:53 PM #

Hooray for your run! Way to go!
    I’m sorry about your tumble! That is totally something I would do! So I dn’t have a great plan for when I eat my fuel. Do you go by time or mileage?

Enjjoy your weekend!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:36 PM #

I already told you about my gel intake but I think that the key is to “eat” enough to not bonk but not too much that it is going to upset your tummy!! πŸ™‚
      What are you doing for your nutrition?

• Luv What You Do September 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM #

I’ve been using LaraBars and honey chews. I’ve sturggled with BAD IBS issues in the past and this along with Nuun and coconut water seem to be the trick.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM #

Sounds like you have it under control. You just need to figure out timing. πŸ™‚

• Luv What You Do September 25, 2013 at 4:53 AM #

Yes, I have a tentative plan for timing (every 45 minutes) but nothing set in stone.

5. Ani September 21, 2013 at 8:08 PM #

Fantastic!! I am also running Chicago, but I am nervous because I think my longest run is going to be 18 miles because of a recent injury that set me back… I wish I was going in more prepared, but I just hope I make it there healthy and injury-free!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:38 PM #

Awesome about Chicago but I am so sorry about your injury! What happened? If you can make it to the start line feeling good I think you will be fine with only 18 under your belt!! That is what a lot of plans have you do anyway!! πŸ™‚

• Ani September 23, 2013 at 12:39 PM #

Just a strained tendon – honestly as soon as it starts feeling better, the pain moves to somewhere else! But it’s manageable to I just want to get to the start line feeling good.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:46 PM #

Definitely rest!! The work has been done! You just have to get the tendon feeling better! I bet you will feel great!! Good Luck!! πŸ™‚

6. Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} September 22, 2013 at 5:22 PM #

Ouch! That looks like it hurts. I fell off my bike going downhill last summer, road rash sucks! Can’t believe Chicago is so close, I’ve got a few friends running. I am totally jealous that you were at #IMLT today, the pics from Ironman Tri on Instagram are incredible!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM #

My elbows still hurt!! Huge bruise on my left one has surfaced! But I will live!!! πŸ™‚
      IMLT was insane!! Such a brutal course! Huge kudos to all that finished! I was tracking about 20 people and everyone finished except 2 so I feel like those were good odds with the DNF rate! Gorgeous though!

7. Jenny Emmerich September 23, 2013 at 8:03 AM #

Hi Leslie!
    I love reading your blog and usually check it early in the morning. It always inspires me to get moving…but since I can’t run 23 miles right now (and probably not for at least several more months post baby), I focus on the dessert part and eat cake for breakfast. So thanks I guess. πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:50 PM #

So great to hear from you!! Cake for breakfast is the BEST!! There is talk of IMW in 2015 will you be ready for that? πŸ™‚

8. Kristen L September 23, 2013 at 10:35 AM #

Way to crush that long run. You’re such a rock star! Way to keep your pace strong even though you were getting tired. And finishing with that negative split! Horray for TAPER TIME!

Also, starting slow is SOOO key in any long run, otherwise you will burn out fast. Nice work!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM #

Thanks! Super excited!! I just need to remember to negative split on the marathon and I think that I will have it in the bag! πŸ™‚

9. falcor007 September 26, 2013 at 8:40 AM #

HOLY CROW and I thought I was clumsy! Way to suck it up and keep going. My longest run since IM has been 8. I need to get after it.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM #

No need to get crazy!! Do you have another race on the docket?

• falcor007 September 26, 2013 at 5:41 PM #

I have a century ride this weekend. But no races booked. I’m going to spend time this weekend to find some to keep me occupied until ski season.