Chicago Marathon Re-Cap

16 Oct

I arrived Friday with Sherrie, MJ, and Ellen. but Met up and stayed with my mom, bro(Jordan), and sister in law(Stevie). We had a nice Mexican dinner with my dads cousin.

Saturday morning: My mom, Stevie, and I headed to the expo.

Everyone said that this is the BEST EXPO ever. I thought it was a regular type expo but you know what made it the BEST. The space. It was in a huge room so everything was spread out. There was plenty of room to walk around. I got my bib and my shirt. Got a new Nuun bottle. Checked out the other booths.

My mom bought me a new jacket. I do not buy merch very often but I really wanted to get something. Thanks Ma!!

The other couple of fun things that the expo had to offer was they had a huge board of magnets. They gave you a sharpie to take a magnet and then sign your name! Super fun.

Then at the Nike booth, you could scan your bib and your name would pop up with a saying. I owned Chicago. YEAHYAAA!

After we left the expo we went up with my brother at Lou Malnati’s had an early carb loading lunch. Pizza and salad. Delicious!!

We checked out the race venue. We headed to “the bean” through the parks. I did not want to walk too much and I already felt like I had!! 😦

We went back to the room to relax then headed out to an architectural boat river/lake tour. It was so much fun. It was a perfect way to see and learn about the city!!
We had a nice Italian dinner. Finally back to the room to relax and watch the winners WIN Kona!!

Sunday morning: 6am: I had a good night sleep. I had everything set out so I would be ready to roll in the am! I was actually glad the race was not starting until 8. It was nice “sleeping in.”

I felt pretty good. I ate breakfast. I got dressed and I was out the door to go meet Sherrie, MJ, and Ellen.

It was going to be an awesome day!!

It was going to be an awesome day!!

It was well organized. They said there was tighter security but it seemed to flow good. Got into our corrals and it was go time. We got into the corral late and tried to get up to the 4:30 pace group. Could not quite make it but thought that was fine I was going to have a great day.
start

Started out: nice pace. Not to fast. Not to slow. Perfect. Like I trained. There was spectators everywhere!! I.MEAN.EVERYWHERE. It was so awesome. I saw my fam at mile 1.5/3. It was so fun. They had a huge neon green sign so I could see them.

It was crowded but I never felt like I did not have enough room. A couple of the aid stations were a little shotty but overall I thought I had plenty of room. There were so many funny signs:

The classics:
This is the worst parade ever.
If marathons were easy it would be your mom/momma/mommy.
Toenails are for sissies.
Keep going, keep going, that is what she said.

New ones:
Do Epic Shit (I saw this one more than once)!!
Should I be afraid of what all you runners are running from?
The suns out the guns are out.

I saw a couple Punch/push this for power/warp speed/lightening speed.
Lots of government signs. funny!!

The first 10 miles were great. Downtown, Lincoln Park, Boystown, Old Town. The spectators were amazing. I felt good. The temperature was PERFECT.

I saw the fam again about mile 12.

I guess I was excited to see them!

I guess I was excited to see them!

I got to the half way mark at 2:17. Perfect. West loop was pretty good. I was right on track for a 4:30-4:35. I saw MJ right after the half. We exchanged a few words. I don’t think either of us wanted to talk much.

So many spectators. Literally lining the course. I am not quite sure when it happened. I think it started at about mile 16.

Something was off.

I stopped looking at my watch. I didn’t even want to know. I was right on with my nutrition. I had been taking in liquids/electrolytes. I had my gels. It was not hot. I still had my arm warmers on because we would get these gusts of wind and they were cold! I was still thinking positive. It was time for the music. That would make me feel better for sure!!

Not a chance!!

Between 16 and 17 "on the run" Sears Tower (now known as Willis Tower)

Between 16 and 17 “on the run” Sears Tower (now known as Willis Tower)

Mile 18. It was getting worse. My legs were getting really sore really fast. I was still thinking positive. I couldn’t hit “the wall” until mile 23(my longest run) I still had 5 miles to go until then.

Pilsen came up. Lots of spectators there. Mile 21 was hard. I was not going to let myself walk. I could walk a little longer at aid stations but I slowed the pace. My legs hurt so bad. WHY?! They never hurt in training until at least 21.

I saw my fam again right between 21/22. That uplifted me a bit. I wanted to die. Chinatown was great. I had 5 miles. Mile 23 came and I checked my watch. 4:06. (6 minutes slower than my 23 miler). I was sad. I was trying to smile. I was trying to get uplifted by the spectators. I knew at this point there was no way I could hit 4:35 let alone a 4:30. I was trying to stay positive.

At 24 I was trying to speed up a bit and then it happened! The 4:40 pace group passed me. F*** mY lIFE!!

I saw the fam for the last time at 25. I couldn’t even go over and say hi. I just blew kisses from the middle of the road. I just wanted this day to be over!!! Finally finished. 4:43:00! It was done. I wanted to cry. But it was a PR and that has to say something. RIGHT?!

It was such a fun race. It was a perfect day temperature wise. I guess my legs just did not want to cooperate. 😦

I met up with the fam. They headed to lunch and I headed for the ice bath to cry it out!!

THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CHEERED FOR ME. All of the great comments/tweets from all of my friends, supporters, and readers!

Have you seen any funny signs while racing?

16 Responses to “Chicago Marathon Re-Cap”

1. Sherrie October 16, 2013 at 6:52 PM #

Dudette…..waah waah waah. First of all, your “I just want to die” finish was an hour longer than yours. Pleeeeease! BTW, I trained a lot less! Same medal! Think of all that time I saved!! And, my PR when I was “your age” is still 4:16….chase it, baby! NYC here we come! Do EPIC SHI*!

2. Abby @ Change of Pace October 16, 2013 at 6:53 PM #

I’m sorry the day didn’t go as planned, but you did PR and you did cross the finish line of marathon 7. That counts for A LOT!
    That’s so awesome your family came to cheer AND that you saw them so many times! I’m sure it was a great boost! (The pic of you at mile 12 is adorable!!)
    It sounds like an awesome marathon with all the support! I have so many races on my bucket list!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 17, 2013 at 8:43 PM #

Thanks!! It was so much fun having them there with me!! I have a lot of races on my bucket list too but you should definitely put this one on the top of your list!!!:)

3. Kamie davis October 16, 2013 at 10:39 PM #

Be proud of yourself, I know I am. That is epic $hit. I know you are type a planned out everything just right, but sometimes you just gotta roll with it. Still so amazing you do this stuff all the time. A PR is still a PR. 🙂

4. MoM October 16, 2013 at 10:42 PM #

I’m soooo proud of my girl! You did great and it was so fun watching you! Some goals you make and some take a little longer, you finished my darling and there were lots of people behind you… YOU GO GIRL!!!

5. Mrs. JLB October 16, 2013 at 11:14 PM #

You KILLED it and got a PR…a success in my book!!! I’m sorry this wasn’t your fave race, but it was our fave for spectating 🙂 Too much fun! And… the most important thing (as far as I’m concerned) … is that your outfit was totally adorable and you looked super cute out there! Besides, you could have run a 16:27 and we would still think you are AMAZING!!! Love you. xoxo.

6. Luv What You Do October 17, 2013 at 7:48 AM #

Looks like you guys had a great weekend and made the most of Chicago. I’m still sad that I missed the magnet part of the expo! Not sure how that happened! You are so lucky that you got to see her family so much! You must have had a great plan! The chi town marathon is amazing but tough because of those last long and not as crowded miles. I am so proud of your PR and excited to see hwo you do with your upcoming half! Wear your jacket iwth pride!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 17, 2013 at 8:40 PM #

It was so awesome seeing my family!! I was happy they could be there!! We had such a fun time!! I’ve worn my jacket every day this week! 🙂

7. Ashley October 17, 2013 at 8:39 AM #

So proud of you Leslie!! What a great accomplishment!! Wish I was there to watch you cross the finish line. Would love to see the medal! Miss you girl! Xoxo

8. Sherrie October 17, 2013 at 8:47 AM #

You are so well trained….are you sure you don’t want to just go out and knock out CIM (net downhill) or some other really flat cool weather course before AZ? It is a smaller race and takes less energy logistically and in the race itself. Not sure if it’s sold out. The next race is going to be like when you killed it at Black Diamond that year.

9. Joann October 18, 2013 at 1:47 PM #

Congrats on another marathon Leslie!!! Sounds like you had a great time overall in Chicago! I was cheering on you that day! 🙂 Now what?? time chill for a while and drink beer!!! Planning on coming to PDX on the 16th of next month for the Kona viewing party at the store.. you better be there! 🙂 Hugs!!

10. Herbivore Triathlete October 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM #

Running a marathon is a huge accomplishment, regardless of time! That said, I know what you mean about feeling disappointed. I do the same thing before races, set a goal for myself and then get upset if I don’t meet that goal. Congrats on running Chicago!

11. erin October 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM #

Be proud! You ran 26.2 – and PRed! – and that is amazing 🙂 Congrats, Leslie!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Updates on: Recovery + Treats | Triathlete Treats - October 30, 2013

[…] am 17 days out from Chicago. They say it takes 26 days to fully recover from a marathon. I have 9 more days! I have definitely […]

2. Track + Cycling + Catching Fire | Triathlete Treats - November 21, 2013

[…] I have not been to the track since the week of Chicago. Maybe 6 weeks ago? There has definitely been a decline in my speed. Yes I have been recovering but […]