Ragnar Las Vegas Re-Cap

10 Nov

None of us were real sure who’s idea this was or when we decided to take on Ragnar Las Vegas as an ultra team! BUT IT HAPPENED! Now that it is all said and done “what happens in Vegas is still sore in Oregon!”

Lets start from the beginning! We got the van decorated! Very important step in the is journey!

Ultra Dragging Aces taking on Ragnar Las Vegas.

Runner 6: Laura, Runner 2: Anne, Runner 3: Kara, Runner 1: Erica, Runner 5: Stephanie, Runner 4: Me

Who knew that it had already snowed! It is only November!!

We started at 8,000 ft at Lee Canyon Ski Resort at 8am! Erica took off for legs 1&2. Just like that we were off and running!

I wasn’t on the docket until about 1. I started at 1:18pm and it was hot already. My first leg was 12.1 miles–legs 7&8. A lot of uphill in the sun. The majority of the leg was running through neigborhoods and going through stop signs/stop lights. The running was pretty good. It was definitely the weirdest leg–a very “city” run. I felt like it was good for the exception of the 5 lights that I had to stop at!! Total buzzkill!

We got some food and did some more running! All of a sudden we had started our 2nd set of legs. Everyone was doing great and running hard!!

At 9:36pm I started my second leg. 9 miles–legs 19&20. This was definitely my favorite leg. It was dark. I mean dark dark. We were on the eastern side of the city away from all of the lights! I got into a nice groove. I felt really good. It was perfect running weather. Cold! It was so different than my first leg. After I handed off to Steph, I was crossing the highway, and tripped on the median divider. I totally twisted my ankle. I almost fell on my face and I was not even in my Hokas! I was so pissed. (It didn’t effect my running/walking thank goodness but it is still sore!!)

Laura was our ace driver and I did a lot of the navigating. The girls took over and let us rest a few times! πŸ™‚

Here is a good one of us sleep deprived at about 7am Saturday morning.

It was happening again. I was going to have to run again. The third and finally time at 7:27am for 12.7 miles. Let me show you the elevation for this one:
leg31

leg32

I was NERVOUS. Had this been flat I think I would have been fine but it was almost all uphill. The entire leg was on a trail. At first I thought a “trail” like dirt/rocks/gravel trail. It was a paved bike/ped path. It was amazing! The first part was decent. Pace was decent. I thought all I have to do is get through this. I took off my arm warmers when I saw the girls about 4 miles in. It was already getting warm. The sun was out in full force.

The start of the 2nd part was hard. It was much steeper then I thought. At that point I knew it would be a sufferfest to the finish! I got some more water at 6 miles in and told the girls it was going to be a long 6.7 mile deathmarch to the exchange. I was walking and running. I was feeling good and bad. I had multiple dark times. I was trying to dig deep but I had given up and fought and given up and fought! Not a lick of shade. I had run out of water. The leg was a no van support leg! Bull shit!! Ragnar usually has a water stop on longer no van support legs. I just was not that lucky! WTF? It was so hot. The sun was beating down on us! Even when I got a bit of relief and had a downhill my quads hurt so bad (there was not much of that anyway!) 😦

Spoiler alert: I survived. It was not pretty but I made it!

I took my last baby wipe shower and was feeling good!
Steph was running through the Lake Med rec area. I was so happy to be done!!!

Laura not only was a rock star driver but she had a 15 mile FINAL leg through the desert in the heat of the day with no shade!! We saw this coyote while we were supporting her!!

We finished in 30:13! ROCK STARS!!! We came in 2nd in the womens ultra division! HOLLA!

Here is our sweet medals. I got a Deuces Wild medal because I did LV and another Ragnar(NWP).

We had such a fun time! Our only major complaint was there was multiple legs that were overlapping. Ragnar does a good job with the directional signs though.

4th and final relay of the year!!

16 Responses to “Ragnar Las Vegas Re-Cap”

1. Luv What You Do November 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM #

Woo hoo!
    Awesome medals!

2. Kamie Davis November 10, 2013 at 7:50 PM #

You crazy girl!!

3. MoM November 10, 2013 at 8:29 PM #

Proud mom, again!!! Was fun meeting the girls and (trying) to follow you. You GO girl!

4. Jesica @rUnladylike November 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM #

This looks like it was so fun but hard! Don’t know how you ran 12+ miles 3 times. Rock star for sure! Congrats on an awesome weekend and killer finish! xo

5. erin November 11, 2013 at 2:22 PM #

Bad a$$! The ultra is serious running… and, on little sleep no less! Congrats, lady!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 12, 2013 at 10:43 AM #

Thanks!! It was hard while we were in the moment! But it is an awesome feeling being done! πŸ™‚

6. Change of Pace November 11, 2013 at 2:34 PM #

Congrats on another awesome relay!! Thank goodness you could still run and walk on your ankle. You’re giving me serious relay envy…one year!
    Now are you finished racing for the year?!?!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 12, 2013 at 10:42 AM #

Thanks Abby! You should come do a relay with me next year!!! πŸ™‚
      I have a holiday half marathon in about a month! I really wanted to try and PR but I don’t think I will have it in me! Which is fine. I have had a great year with lots of PRs. I might dress up and just have fun!! πŸ™‚

7. falcor007 November 14, 2013 at 1:28 PM #

Stud!!! I missed all relays this year. But next year, it is ON. And this makes me want to do it ultra style (I shake my head as I type this, why do we love crazy things?!)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 14, 2013 at 7:04 PM #

Ultra style is the BEST way to go!! Logistics are so much easier but the running is harder!! πŸ™‚

8. Lauren November 18, 2013 at 9:54 AM #

Man you are a ultra running relay machine…or just crazy…I haven’t made up mind about you yet ;). And congrats on second…now you get one of those super fun batons!! Oh and hey, I’m going to be in P-town the Friday/Saturday after t-giving…I’ll email you separately but would be great to maybe meet up Saturday AM for brunch or something!?

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Relay Fever: Ultra Style | Triathlete Treats - April 4, 2014

[…] I got Ultra Dragging Aces together(Las Vegas ’13) we had a big discussion on the 3 vs 6 legs. It was quickly decided that we would go with 3 legs. […]

2. Ragnar Del Sol 2015 | Triathlete Treats - February 25, 2015

[…] 210 miles in 34 hours and change in the wide open desert! This was almost the same team as Vegas Ragnar but Kara had to work so Kat took her […]