Track + Cycling + Catching Fire

21 Nov

1. I have not been to the track since the week of Chicago. Maybe 6 weeks ago? There has definitely been a decline in my speed. Yes I have been recovering but I need to get back to it! Today was that day. I have 8 weeks until RNR Arizona Marathon. There is definite work to be done. I did 8×400. It was ok. It was cold, headwind, and ice on about 20% of the track. It probably could have gone worse! 🙂

2. I am back to riding my bike to work. The temperature has dropped considerably this week. Miserable. I have gone through 3 or 4 pairs of good cycling gloves in the past year. I had a MT Hard Wear pair forever that I loved and forgot them somewhere. Bought a new pair and started to love them and forgot them somewhere. It is a vicious cycle! The last pair I lost was right before summer so I did not bother to buy another pair.

Now that it is “winter” again and my hands were numb for 15 minutes last night when I got home after just wearing my running gloves…I have decided to buy a new pair! Like tomorrow!

Cold winter cycling tip: wear a pair of latex gloves under your gloves. I did that on my way home from the office this afternoon. Worked like a charm!

3. Who is excited for Catching Fire to start tomorrow??!! I rented Hunger Games this afternoon to prepare to see Catching Fire in the next couple of weeks!

Catching Fire trailer (if you do not know what I am talking about)

What was the last track work out you did?
Are you going to see Catching Fire this weekend??

11 Responses to “Track + Cycling + Catching Fire”

1. Judy November 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM #

Silly girl, I have the DVD you could have borrowed. 😛

2. Kimberly November 22, 2013 at 4:10 AM #

OMG. So excited for “Catching Fire!” We’re going Sunday morning because we’re old and I don’t have to do a long run.

I am still in recovery but hoping to get a bit faster this winter. I will not be hitting the track and certainly not one with ice. You are a badass.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 25, 2013 at 1:30 PM #

I am still wanting to get faster but I feel like it isn’t happening. I need to do more strength training I am sure!!

3. Anna {Herbivore Triathlete} November 23, 2013 at 5:44 PM #

I will be taking my oldest daughter to see Catching Fire. I haven’t done a track workout in a LONG time, I do my speed work on the treadmill. I don’t think I could bike to work in the winter, brr!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM #

I have a couple of friends that do all of their speed work on the deathmill. I just can’t stand to be on it that long! 😦

4. Luv What You Do November 23, 2013 at 6:19 PM #

How was the movie? I loved the books so much but don’t think the movies are as strong. But you know I will be seeing Catching Fire as soon as i can : )

Thanks for the gloves tip. Great idea!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 25, 2013 at 1:27 PM #

I haven’t seen it yet! I am dying! I think I am going to go on Friday!!!!
      That is my favorite cycling tip! 🙂

5. Kristen L November 24, 2013 at 9:27 AM #

I can’t believe you did speedwork outside on the track with ice on it! So badass. I haven’t gone to the track in a while either. I think I might work on getting speedier at shorter distances for my next goal, so I’ll be back at it soon too.

I may go see Catching Fire either today, or next weekend. Might be good for next weekend with an extra day off work. 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 25, 2013 at 1:26 PM #

I was so pumped to go to the track—the ice was not getting into my way!! 🙂
      I’ve heard Catching Fire is awesome! Can’t wait!

6. Change of Pace November 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM #

I love your glove tip for cold weather cycling; that’s genius! I wonder if it would work for everything like xc and downhill skiing, too? Probably!
    Good for you for getting out to the track. I’m impressed!
    Kelly and I rarely go to movies. We were in Jasper this weekend and they have a tiny theatre with only two movies playing. We had nothing to do at night so went to Catching Fire. I’m not a huge Hunger Games fan so didn’t love it, but it was good and I really like her character!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 25, 2013 at 1:25 PM #

I love the glove tip! I am sure it will work for skiing. Your hands do get sweaty so beware!! 🙂
      I can’t believe that was the only movie you could see! I am glad you thought it was good! I am dying to see it!