Running Naked…

12 Dec

runmore
RUNNING NAKED definition: No watch. No time. No distance. Run free.

My plan was to run after work from work (out and back). (Yesterday)
Reason 1: I did not want to get home and decide that I didn’t actually want to go!!
Reason 2: I wanted to do a hilly run.

I FORGOT my watch!

I was very very sad! I totally understand that running naked is liberating. No need to worry about numbers. Just running for fun! I just do not like to NOT know.

It is rare that I run Terwilliger in that direction. I did a mostly downhill 2.5-3 miles and turned around. What goes down must go up. I thought it would be a suffer feast but it really was not. I particularly wanted to know my pace because my last run up Terwilliger was slow and hard. It was windy and miserable that day.

Last night was cold and my stomach was less than thrilled I was running. I do feel like it went better than last week but who really knows! I may have been running (god forbid) slower but that’s why it felt better?!

Reasons I like it:
1-I don’t have to worry about stopping my watch at the stoplight! (There is only one on that route and I only had to stop at it once) Score!

Reasons I do not like it:
1-The main reason- I can’t compare to other runs!
2-I really just like it for pace!

Does this make me obsessed?! (Don’t answer that!) πŸ™‚

Overall it was a pretty good run. I had this in my head most of the run:

The other part of the run was thinking about this post…wondering who else likes or dislikes running naked?!

In your opinion WHY do you like it or not? Or both!!

14 Responses to “Running Naked…”

1. Jonathan94002 December 12, 2013 at 11:56 AM #

Yeh, I can’t run without knowing, at some point, the metrics of my run. Further, I like looking at my Runkeeper webpage and seeing all of my runs since I started using the app. However, that having been said, I have most recently gone without the real-time updates. I’ll run how I feel and then after the run look at the numbers. Since most of my runs are easy runs anyway, it’s just informational, rather than actionable. πŸ˜‰ How’s that for a simple response?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 14, 2013 at 7:30 PM #

That is a good way to do it–just looking at the numbers afterwards! Maybe I will try that!! πŸ™‚

2. Kristen L December 12, 2013 at 12:38 PM #

It is weird to run without all the data after you get so used to it. But sometimes it is SO nice to just be able to enjoy the miles and not look at your pace all the time.

3. Change of Pace December 12, 2013 at 3:48 PM #

Smart to run from work after work. Sometimes it’s so hard to motivate yourself once you get home (like me reading blogs right now instead of working out!)
    I love to run naked. I actually have only worn my garmin twice since August, and that’s just because I was in New Orleans and wanted to see my runs on a map when I got home! Other than that, my wrist has been totally naked. I don’t even look at a clock before I leave. It’s SO liberating!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 14, 2013 at 7:29 PM #

I can usually motivate myself to go after I get home but I knew Dan would be home and he can’t run right now. 😦
      I wish I found it liberating. Maybe if I wasn’t training for something and I didn’t care maybe I would like it more!! πŸ™‚

4. Cynthia @ You Signed Up For What?! December 13, 2013 at 9:39 AM #

It drives me crazy if I don’t have my watch – I HAVE to know!

5. erin December 13, 2013 at 1:10 PM #

Same here… when I’m not injured (gah!), I always wear my watch. But, during the off season, I only look at it when the mile beeps. It feels good to settle into my natural pace! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM #

I really try and run by feel. I don’t really look at my watch except for the mile splits..mostly! πŸ™‚

6. Herbivore Triathlete December 13, 2013 at 4:24 PM #

Nope, I can NOT run naked. I am a stats junkie and need to know my pace, distance, etc. I like to compare to other runs too.

That being said, when I first got “serious” about running, 2 years or so ago, I ran naked all the time, even during races! (the horror)

7. Luv What You Do December 16, 2013 at 7:26 PM #

I’ve never heard that term and actually had a very different visual in mind : ) I just read a great article in Runner’s World about being alone with your own thought during a run and keeping yourself company. That’s perfect for Naked Running!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 16, 2013 at 8:50 PM #

Really you have never heard that before? I think I need to read that article before I tackle my last couple of long runs before AZ. πŸ™‚