The BEST Caramels You Will Ever EAT!

20 Dec

My mom had this friend who was an awesome baker!! She made the most amazing caramels EVER!! My mom makes them mostly around the holidays. I made my first batch probably 10 years ago. I haven’t made them in years. When I was in Vegas for Ragnar my mom needed me to make some for her, for a party she was going to!

After the fact, I thought I should have done a post about them! Fast forward to last weekend I wanted to make some for my office and for Dan to take to his office!!

You guys are definitely scoring on getting this recipe! It is delicious!!

Caramels
Yields: A lot!

Foil line a 9×9, spray with PAM

2 sticks of butter (1cup)
1 box (16 oz.) brown sugar
1 14oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup karo light syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
1 c. chopped pecans of almonds (my mom likes to use pecans and I like to use almonds)

Melt butter, then add next three ingredients.
Stir and heat on med heat to 248 degrees. (15 to 20 minutes)
Remove from heat, add in vanilla and nuts.
Pour into prepared pan.

image

Dan does not have a 9×9 pan. What is it with all the men I live with? (If you don’t remember Greg does not have one either!)

Cool, cut with buttered knife. Wrap in wax paper.

You can make them smaller or larger depending on how many you want!

Note: I have tried to use the caramel on ice cream and it freezes hard… So if you want to use it that way you can experiment with the temperature. Maybe 245 degrees. I think it just needs to be softer. Or cool it a bit. Definitely something I need to experiment with.

One more note: watch the time and temperature carefully. I was sure that they would be perfect but they were on the harder side. I did get a new candy thermometer so that May have been why?!?

Enjoy!!! Do yourself a favor, make them, and share them (or hide them)!! πŸ™‚

What is your favorite thing to bake (or eat) during the holidays?

7 Responses to “The BEST Caramels You Will Ever EAT!”

1. Sherrie December 20, 2013 at 6:50 PM #

She’s not exaggerating. These are the best carmels ever! I got a little stash & I’m not sharing. πŸ™‚

Second, Dan’s shopping just got easy. Just a 9×9 pan & this girl is happy! Leslie, tell him to get on that!

2. erin December 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM #

These look amazing!! Love a good homemade caramel! May make them this week when I’m home… we’ve never made caramels before, so would be a fun afternoon with my mom and sis πŸ™‚

Have a wonderful holiday, Leslie!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 21, 2013 at 5:23 PM #

You definitely have to make them! Let me know if you do and what you think?!

Thanks Erin! You have a great holiday season too! I can’t believe it is going to be 2014! πŸ™‚

3. Change of Pace December 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM #

Sounds soooo tasty- wow! And you look so cute in your apron πŸ™‚
    I’ve never made caramel. I just got a crown this week, so it made not be the best time to make my first batch! I’d love to say I wouldn’t eat any, but who are we kidding!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 21, 2013 at 5:21 PM #

Ohh thanks! I love wearing aprons!
      Probably a good idea to wait on the caramels and let the crown heal up!! πŸ™‚ You definitely can’t eat just one either!

4. Luv What You Do December 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM #

My mouth is watering right now! These look unbelievable! I am saving hte recipe for sure!!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks