Swimming Lately!

10 Jan

I can’t believe its January! I guess that means I need to start swimming MORE! When I quit my Masters Swim last June I fully intended to go back to it some time in the beginning of winter.

Long story long: In July, the gym closed. All the members went to a different location. There was talk about that gym closing so I did not want to join that one. They finally got new management and things are looking up. Dan needed a gym but was skeptical about joining that one because of the rumors. Long story longer: We ended up joining a different gym. Unfortunately there is only 1 masters practice a week. Wednesday night! Agh!

The pool is nice. 4 lanes. Saline. It is yards which I hate but there are not many meter pools in town. Also I can’t use any of my data from last year because it was a meter pool. 😦

Credit: March Wellness

Credit: March Wellness

Now that I have someone to swim with (Dan) I have been going more. We tried out the masters practice this week. It was really great. The coach was great. It was different but the same as I used to do. We did 2600 yards and the hour flew by. It is not very big which is probably why it is only 1 night a week.

Unfortunately I need someone to push me and Dan isn’t going to be that person. He really just wants to survive the swim. I am more in it to win in. Not really but just different goals. I was hoping to find some others to swim with other days. But there was only “swimmers” there this week. When I say swimmers I mean faster than me!

The last couple of weeks have been pretty good with swimming. I am excited to start at it again. I really wanted to start back in November. I just didn’t have anyone to go with. No motivation! I slept in instead.

I was rummaging through some articles that I had pulled out of the Triathlete Magazine last month. I found a get quicker for 1500 meters in 4 weeks work out schedule. That prompted me to do a 500 threshold test on Thursday. I would say it went way better than I thought it would! I am actually excited to try it out. Maybe I can get “faster” before the “real” swim work outs begin!!

I feel like I have a little more motivation now. A new year. A new pool. New goals. We are almost 6 months out from IMC. It is time to get down to business.

Here is to a sub 1:12 swim in Canada this year!

How do you keep it interesting in the pool?

14 Responses to “Swimming Lately!”

1. gogogo! January 10, 2014 at 9:01 PM #

saline pool?? where? that sounds great!

2. erin January 10, 2014 at 11:06 PM #

That pool looks fantastic! And, a saline pool?! How does it compare to chlorine to swim in? I’m SO jealous you’ll be swimming in Alta Lake… it’s crystal clear and just beautiful! I just emailed a masters group today… crossing my fingers they have openings now!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 12, 2014 at 3:47 PM #

I hope you get into the masters group! It is so much better than swimming on your own! It totally motivates and pushing you harder!!
      Saline is good. I don’t like the taste of salt so it is interesting in that sense. Its like you are swimming in the ocean. I don’t mind swimming in chlorine. BUT I wonder if the saline is helping keep me buoyant. I seem to be swimming faster!! “)

3. Kristen L January 11, 2014 at 6:36 AM #

That pool looks beautiful! I’m not a very good swimmer yet, but it’s something I’m trying to work on. Seems like having good workouts would be important for keeping things interesting in the pool. Do you use a watch while you are swimming? Or do you count you laps?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 12, 2014 at 3:44 PM #

I think following a work out is huge!! πŸ™‚ I just count laps in the pool! Sometimes I am day dreaming and forget but life will go on if I am off a 50 or 2!! πŸ™‚

4. Change of Pace January 12, 2014 at 9:32 AM #

A saline pool would be so awesome! Your swim in Alta will be incredible; can’t wait for it! Love that you’re feeling the motivation!
    I never kept my swimming interesting in the pool; I had a tough time forcing myself to go once a week! Reason # 27 I’m not doing any tris this year!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 12, 2014 at 3:37 PM #

I think swimming in a different pool is really motivating! For whatever reason!! πŸ™‚
      You aren’t going to do one tri this year!!!!??? 😦 When are you going to run for a BQ??

5. Herbivore Triathlete January 17, 2014 at 4:22 PM #

Ah, swimming, my least favorite portion of triathlons. I know I’ve gotta get back in the pool soon but honestly, I really don’t like swimming! I need to find a group to swim with, maybe that will help motivate me. Right now I go on my own, I follow a workout plan/schedule but it’s blah. Swimming is boring!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 17, 2014 at 8:01 PM #

Having a group to swim with makes a HUGE difference! Having a masters swim makes an even bigger difference!! πŸ™‚ Good luck!!

• Herbivore Triathlete January 18, 2014 at 4:31 AM #

Thanks, I will definitely have to look for a Masters Swim group this summer. Unfortunately I don’t think there are any locally. 😦

6. Luv What You Do January 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM #

I don’t keep it interesting in the pool so I need these tips!
    I always say that I will start swimming in January and don’t usually make it to the pool until March : )

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 20, 2014 at 7:24 PM #

If you found a masters group or just a group to swim with…you would be way more into it!! You can usually find better groups in the burbs too!! πŸ™‚

• Luv What You Do January 20, 2014 at 8:16 PM #

I know…the only problem is that they are at 6 or 7 and I usually work until 7:30. One day I will find a way to make it all work…with work and everything else : )