The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly–RNRAZ Race Report

21 Jan

I ran 26.2 miles at the Arizona Rock N Roll Marathon on Sunday. My only goals were to have fun. I had no time goal. I of course would have liked to PR but I did not. I am going to do this report a little differently then I usually do.

I am going to start with THE UGLY!
I have only briefly talked about this but I signed up for the half. Right around Chicago time, Dan decided he wanted to do a winter marathon. I told him that if he wanted to go to Arizona that I would do the full with him. After some wavering he finally caved in, bought his plane ticket, and race registration. I changed over to the marathon!

Fast forward to Black Friday. We did our first 20 miler together. It was awesome! Such a great day and run. I finally was running like I was pre-Chicago. Then it happened. Dan hurt his foot. I continued to run and he saw the doc. At this point I had to decide if I wanted to continue training for the marathon or drop down to the half. I kept training for the marathon like a stupid person!

I just was not in the mental mindset. I am not sure why. I did all my long runs. They were all 12-17 seconds/mile slower than any of my Chicago runs. NONE of them went as good as my Chicago runs. I never pulled the plug because I didn’t think I had enough time to train to PR the half.

Dan finally was healed up but not in shape to do the full so he was in for the half. Even though we were still doing runs together again “my mind” was not in good “mental” shape.

I really was trying to be positive the week leading up to the race. I can do this. I can run a marathon on Sunday. I had a great time in Phoenix leading up to the race. Now that it is all said and done I was absolutely not mentally prepared for this marathon!

THE BAD!
It all started at about mile 14. I could feel some chafing going on underneath my left arm. I am usually really good about putting enough body glide on. Well I guess not on Sunday! I finally ran over to the med tent right around mile 19 to get some Vaseline. I caked it on pretty good! Enough was enough!

I have had a re-occurring blister on my big toe on my left foot. That decided to flare up even though I taped it up! My right big and second toe were hurting bad. Who knows why!

Between the blisters, the chafing, and loosing it mentally the last 7 miles weren’t exactly great.

THE GOOD!
Dan and I got dropped off at the half start line(which is where both races finish). I took the lightrail to downtown Phoenix where the full starts. Met up with Greg and Erica for good luck hugs. I was feeling good. It was nice and cool. I was positive. I was going to have a great day!!

I was ready to have a 4:45 kind of day. I found the 4:45 pace group. Mark was the pace leader. I recognized him from 2012!
Me: Did you pace the 4:45 group in 2012?
Mark: Yes!
Me: I joined you that race too!
Mark: Did you see me at the finish line?
Me: YES!!

We got started and I was feeling good. I met Jackie(from Colorado) and Jamie(from California). It was their first marathon! We chatted about goals and races! The miles were clicking by. I was positive. This was really going to be great.

THE LAST 10 MILES
This is where it started going a rye. The blisters and chafing had started. The pace was great but we were losing the pace group. Not sure why?! Jackie needed a walk break. Jamie had dropped back a bit before this. I was on my own for the time being. I put my music on and kept the pace group in view. There is an out and back from mile 13-20ish. Plus a little out and back in the middle of that. I saw the pace group, Jackie, and Jamie.

I just kept chugging along. I stopped at the portie pottie at 18.5ish. (I have NEVER EVER stopped in a road race before—>I needed to go. I thought if I stopped maybe I would feel better) Well I lost the pace group and did not feel that much better! I saw that Jackie was 100 yards (maybe?) in front of me. I just didn’t think I could put the effort in to try to catch her. 😦

It was a long 7.2 miles!!

It was a long 7.2 miles!!

The last 6 miles were pretty boring. Really the course is boring. I am not sure why I keep going back. This is my 5th RNRAZ(2 full and 2 half). I guess I like seeing my friends and going to Phoenix in the middle of winter!

It was getting warm. The wind had kicked up and at mile 23 we turned right into it until the end! I finally finished after walking and running those last miles. I was so happy it was over. I don’t think that I will do the marathon again. I need something to keep my attention better. Which makes me even more excited to do Big Sur and NYC this year.

I met up with Dan and Kamie!
We headed to Sonic for a cherry limeade!

BIG THANKS to Kamie who drove us around all weekend!! It was a great weekend in the sun!!

What do you do if a race is not going your way??

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

24 Responses to “The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly–RNRAZ Race Report”

1. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides January 22, 2014 at 3:23 AM #

Sorry you didn’t have a better race! I still think you are awesome. It’s tough, though, when it doesn’t happen the way we want. Usually I drink (not cherry limeade) and eat. I cope so well (not) with life.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2014 at 9:12 AM #

It is what it is! I was happy to squeak under the 5 hour mark…which is a win in itself!! πŸ™‚

2. Change of Pace January 22, 2014 at 4:32 AM #

Congratulations on another marathon finish! That picture of you and dan after the race is awesome!
    Sorry it didn’t go as well, but it sounds like you hung in there and pushed through! You’re right, an escape to arizona in winter is never a bad thing!!
    Now you can start to focus on IMCA after a rest (if that word is in your vocabulary!!)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2014 at 9:11 AM #

Thanks Abby!!!!!
      I have been doing a pretty good job resting! I am going down to Eugene this weekend to do more “resting” but I’m a little anxious so I will get back into next week!! πŸ™‚

3. Lauren January 22, 2014 at 8:33 AM #

Well boo you didn’t enjoy the race as much as you should but way to keep going and finish! If I a race isn’t going the way I planned it I just figure out a new plan that I can be happy with during the race. For my marathon the weather was WAY warmer than anticipated so all my time goals went out the window until mile 20 when I realized I could make it in under 5 hours so I focused on that to shuffle through those last 6 miles!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2014 at 9:09 AM #

Some days are better than you expect and some days are worse! I am glad I made it as far as I did before I started to slow down! I finished and that is what counts!
      Sometimes you need a kick in the butt that last 10K so you figured it and made it happen!! πŸ™‚

4. Kristen January 22, 2014 at 10:35 AM #

Bummer that the race didn’t go as planned. Seems like a big part of it was that you weren’t mentally ready for it, so the mind started playing games right from the beginning! BUT, you finished another marathon! And I love that pic of you and Dan after the race. You both look so happy! I’m glad you had a FUN weekend otherwise. Sometimes you just need a race excuse to travel and see friends too. ahaha.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM #

You win some and lose some! I am glad that I stuck it out! Feeling good about the rest of the year!! πŸ™‚

5. Jaclyn January 22, 2014 at 11:29 AM #

Thanks for sharing your report! I’ve wondered what people thought of the course as I’ve been wanting to run out in Arizona. I’ve gotten chafing on my arms as well, try TriSlide. Since its an aersol spray, you’re less likely to miss spots and its super on any part of the body. Congrats on the race!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 24, 2014 at 9:05 AM #

I have always loved this race. I think its more the weekend then the course itself. But it is pretty flat which most people like! πŸ™‚
      Thanks for the tip…I will have to try some TriSlide!!

6. Kamie Davis January 22, 2014 at 1:10 PM #

Your welcome. I always enjoy your company, and was excited to meet Dan. We had a great weekend and was thrilled to have you guys at Kru’s 3rd birthday. I still admire your courage to compete in all of these events. Great job!!

• Dan Weinsoft January 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM #

Leslie failed to mention that you tried out the Good Guy Discount in the beer garden!

• Kamie davis January 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM #

I failed at getting the good guy discount. Still had to try though. :).

7. Sherrie January 22, 2014 at 1:36 PM #

It’s so hard when you’re not mentally not checked in on the race. Sounds like we both slogged it out on Sunday. More good news — chafing and blisters heal pretty quickly!

8. erin January 24, 2014 at 1:32 PM #

Congrats on another 26.2! Despite not being mentally all there – that’s the hardest part, right?! – you did it and finished! So awesome both Big Sur and NYC are on your calendar πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 26, 2014 at 7:26 PM #

Thanks!!! Running is a huge mental block for me I don’t know what it is!!! Some days are better than other! 😦 But I am very excited for Big Sur and NYC!

9. Luv What You Do January 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM #

Way to go on your 26.2!
    When a race doesn’t go my way, then I try to put everything into perspective and move on to the next race.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 26, 2014 at 7:28 PM #

Thanks Jen! It is so true you can’t dwell on bad races you just have to move and look forward to the next!! πŸ™‚

10. Nicole January 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM #

What I have learned is that a marathon finish is a marathon finish – ALWAYS something to be proud of! Congrats! πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. End of the Pre-Season #s + Swim Work-Out | Triathlete Treats - January 31, 2014

[…] a flat tire–or there would have been more miles too) Run: 33.1 miles (including RNRAZ) 1 core session 0 strength […]

2. You Really Want To Do An Ironman? | Triathlete Treats - September 12, 2014

[…] For me: Running is my weakness but I usually can excel on hillier courses then flat ones! (Case and point: I ran a faster Big Sur marathon then I did RNRAZ ’14) […]

3. Mid January updates!!! | Triathlete Treats - January 17, 2015

[…] N Roll Arizona tomorrow. If you have been reading for a while you know I do this race every year. After last year I decided that I would only ever do the half in the future. Β The weather is gorgeous. I get to see […]