Baking Disasters!

26 Jan

I love baking! You know I love baking! I am not a super huge perfectionist in this department. I don’t care what it looks like just as long as it tastes good!! Right?! Would you agree?!!

Here is an example:

This was the cake that I made for my Brother’s wedding rehearsal dinner! I think part of the reason this cake looks so funny is because the frosting was melting/melted! It was May in Vegas and it was already hot that year! It tasted delicious! Everyone loved it.

I have never really decorated a cake with one of these:
decorate

I go old school and just use a spatula. But my friend Kamie always uses one. (She is going to kill me for putting this up here!!) πŸ™‚

When we were in Phoenix last weekend she was having a 3rd birthday party for her son. She was made cupcakes Friday afternoon. We went to dinner. Then she was going to frost them after dinner. We get back and Matt(her husband), Kru(her son), Dan, and I watched a movie and relaxed. She was having quite the time making frosting. The Kitchen Aid was on and off and on and off. I finally checked on her and this was the frosting station:
This picture really doesn’t do it justice. There was powdered sugar EVERYWHERE.

Kamie had it all over her:
Me: Where is your apron?
Kamie: I forgot to put it on.
Me: Big mistake huh?

When Matt and Dan saw the powdered sugar everywhere, they assumed this is how she started the frosting: image

While they were laughing, I was trying to help to relieve the situation.Β  The frosting was made of cream cheese and powdered sugar.Β  But it was super runny and would not go in the “frosting decorator.”Β  When went to Google to try and find ideas.Β  Nothing helped.

She had frosted them but wanted to do a fancy flower on top.

She sent Matt to the store at midnight after multiple bags of powdered sugar and blocks of cream cheese were ruined used to get more supplies.

I used some of the runny frosting to put a better layer on top of the cupcakes and put them in the refrigerator.

Kamie: I am going to totally start over.
Me: Absolutely not! Who knew you would be like this?
Kamie: We are dental hygienists. We are perfectionists!
Me: Ohhh True.Β  But you have 15 more years to make his cupcakes perfect!Β  Think about it! I am going to bed!

NEXT MORNING:
Kamie: I am NEVER using room temp cream cheese EVER again.
Me: They look super cute and you did not even have to start over!! (I didn’t get a pic of the final product)

Although this seemed like a disaster it all turned out in the end!! I always use room temp cream cheese and I have never had a problem. You live and you learn. The moral of the story is when you are using a cake decorating tool use COLD supplies! I guess I am going to have to get one and try it out! The more I thought about it the more I knew my frosting probably would NOT work in one of those. πŸ™‚

After this happened….a couple days later I was baking…and…

I was asked to make these Nutella Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies with Sea Salt for a dinner I was going to on Thursday night.

The recipe says that you need to refrigerate for 2 hours before you bake. I take that as I can make the dough Tuesday night and bake them Wednesday night. Well that was not the case.
The dough looked great:

But when I took it out of the fridge on Wednesday night. It was hard as a rock. I thought Shit! What would my mom do?! I ended up putting the bowl into a hot water bath. It thawed it but then it was room temp again! Damnit!!!!!!!!

I baked them anyway. I used peanut butter instead of Nutella in half of the cookies.

Mistake #2: I used large and mini chocolate chips. It was hard forming the dough with the large ones. It worked ok. I tried baking a few to see what would happen.

They just spread out (like all-butter cookies would.) I think that if they had been cold (like they were supposed to be) it would not have been a problem. They were delicious. I got plenty of compliments.

Another disaster intercepted!

Happy baking friends!!
Do you have any good baking disaster stories??

14 Responses to “Baking Disasters!”

1. Cami January 26, 2014 at 10:16 PM #

I once put grated zucchini in a cookie recipe, and they came out all muffiny. Go figure! I love hearing your kitchen stories, by the way :).

2. Abby January 27, 2014 at 5:25 AM #

I say as long as they taste great, who cares what they look like!!
    And man do those cookies ever look good!

3. MoM January 27, 2014 at 8:40 AM #

From your mother: just add more powdered sugar to the runny frosting and that should thicken it up (and sweeten it up more….).
    The “hard” cookie mixture will soften when you take it out and roll it in your hands before putting it on the cookie sheet (I would leave it in a ball on the cookie sheet) and yes, the cold dough would have kept it in a rounder, thicker cookie.
    But, as usual, I’m sure they were delicious (like always) and to me, they looked good too – the cupcakes AND the cookies!!

4. Sherrie January 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM #

Those Nutells cookies were soooo good! I’ll eat your “disasters” any day!

5. bayrunnerjamie January 27, 2014 at 12:02 PM #

I bookmarked that recipe, it looks soo amazing! I used to bake a lot but I haven’t in awhile, my boyfriend competes in MMA and has to weigh-in so we never have goodies around the house. But I love decorating cakes and cupcakes, I even have one of those special tools for decorating πŸ™‚

6. Kristen January 29, 2014 at 9:27 AM #

ahaha, too funny — I think we have all had some sort of baking/cooking mistake. Once I forgot an egg in my crab cakes, and ended up with crab “hash browns”. Still tasty.

7. Kamie davis January 29, 2014 at 9:32 PM #

I knew these pictures were going to come back to haunt me. I was so determined that night to make that frosting thicker. In the end they turned out fine, with super sweet frosting from all the powdered sugar. I was happy you were there to talk me out of starting over at 1:00am.
    This made for a good laugh at the end if the day, just what I needed today. Thank you for the recap. Love the picture of Lebron.

• Kamie Davis January 29, 2014 at 9:52 PM #

“They were probably delicious”

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats January 31, 2014 at 3:44 PM #

The next time I come for a visit we will have to bake again!! With aprons on!!
      Isn’t that picture of Lebron great?!! πŸ™‚

8. Luv What You Do February 1, 2014 at 6:41 PM #

Those look amazing! I’d eat them no matter what they look like : )
    I usually end up putting my dough in the fridge because I like puffy cookies but sometimes I hate to wait.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 2, 2014 at 10:28 AM #

I definitely like the idea of putting the dough in the fridge but I can NEVER wait!! πŸ™‚