It Is Getting REAL NOW!

2 Feb

triathlon

I met with my coach to do baseline measurements, to get my races on the schedule, and talk about goals for Ironman Canada.

I have never worked with a coach like I am going to work with Jeremy. I have always followed a schedule. My first Ironman was a schedule from the Matt’s Fitzgerald’s book. My second was a schedule made for a big group of us from the Portland Tri Club. The third was a schedule from a PT for a couple of friends. Last year Chris built a schedule (He gave me actual work-outs—not just 1hr trainer or 1 hour run) for me but no one-on-one coaching. I have mainly trained on my own for the past years.

It is going to be a whole NEW ballgame this year.

When I told Jeremy that I was doing Big Sur Marathon he was less than enthused but he quickly got over it. It is going to be a dress rehearsal for the marathon in the Ironman.

I have taken a WHOLE 2 weeks off of running. I am running Ragnar Florida Keys next weekend with Team NUUNaritavile so I thought I better do a couple of miles and see if I still know how to run. I feel rested and ready for the weeks ahead of me.

We did our usual BRICK yesterday. I have been riding but not running with my peeps(since I was doing long runs for RNRAZ on Sunday). Yesterday marked my first brick of the season. We did an hour of sweat pouring threshold intervals. Followed by a 7.4 mile uphill trail run. It felt really good to get out there. The weather was great. NO rain. Chilly but we were warm from the ride.

{I am so sad I did not have my camera to take pics on the trail}

I brought my bike home today so I could Dan could install my Power Tap. Jeremy also informed me that I have to do another 20 minute threshold test because the other one was not ON MY BIKE. F.M.L!!!

Things are different when you have a coach. You have to report back to them. There is no slacking off. It will be different to have training partners that will push me (and hopefully I will push them). I guess that means I will perform well in the race?

Excited to be starting the season!

Do you have a coach? What do you like or dislike about it?

21 Responses to “It Is Getting REAL NOW!”

1. erin February 2, 2014 at 3:33 PM #

That’s great you have a coach this season… you’ll love it! It’s really helped me focus, and I really like having someone tell me what to do, analyze my training and give me feedback. And, yay for your power tap!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2014 at 8:53 PM #

I think the analyzing and the feedback are going to be key for me. I am super motivated. I just need to know how and what to do! πŸ™‚

2. Jaclyn February 2, 2014 at 6:11 PM #

This season will be my first with a true one-on-one coach. I’ve done TNT before and I’m excited for the challenge of the tailored plans. Here we go!

3. Erica Heagy February 2, 2014 at 6:29 PM #

It is going to be a great year! I am so pumped to have you kick my a$$ all season!!!

4. Luv What You Do February 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM #

You are so amazing and inspiring!
    That has to be great to have a coach to work with for your race!

5. Kristen L February 3, 2014 at 7:27 AM #

So awesome that you will be working with a coach this season!! I feel like they seem to help answer questions and keep you motivated….not that I have used one. Ha!

6. Kristina February 3, 2014 at 12:43 PM #

I’m training for my first IM (Coeur d’Alene) and also opted for my first experience working with a coach. I still find myself wondering about the coach/client relationship, but I really like that I can ask someone questions and, the biggie, when I start to freak out about missing a workout or having to make a change, she can support me. Also, I think that I would be trying to do more right now, rather than focusing on building a strong base. Finally, I started training with HR because it’s a part of her program and that has been SO interesting!
    Since you have already raced the IM distance, it will be interesting to see how this is or is not a different experience.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2014 at 8:48 PM #

You are going to love CDA! I think having a coach for your first is great. I signed up for my first about 3 months before doing it which actually was good. I didn’t have time to freak out!! πŸ™‚ I just jumped in blindly. I had an epic day and will always remember IMC ’09. But if I were to do my first over I probably would get a coach.

7. Lauren February 4, 2014 at 9:27 AM #

WHAT!? You are running Florida Keys with Kristin? SOO JEALOUS!! Have the best time ever and post a million pictures please…but first join instagram so you can actually post them πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2014 at 8:34 PM #

YES!! The Keys with Kristen! So excited. Wish you were joining us! I will make sure we take lots of pics!! πŸ™‚

8. Amanda @runtothefinish February 4, 2014 at 3:47 PM #

I totally go back and forth on having a coach. I think if I’m going to commit to a half ironman I will definitely get one to make sure I do all the swimming I need.

The FL Keys ragnar is a blast!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 4, 2014 at 8:32 PM #

I think coaches are a good investment for sure!!

I am excited for the Keys but nervous about how warm it is going to be!

9. Kristen February 5, 2014 at 9:03 AM #

I have a few friends who are doing IM Canada – should be a beautiful race. I just hired a coach to help me train my for my first triathlon and I am SO glad I did. I am definitely in a different mindset as I train for IM 70.3 Boise and a few others later this summer. Have a great time in the Keys.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 6, 2014 at 4:27 PM #

Awesome!! Boise is interesting! Both because the weather is unpredictable and for the Noon start!! Getting a coach can never be bad!! πŸ™‚ good luck with training!!!

10. laurenruns February 7, 2014 at 11:51 AM #

This is also the first year that I’ve been in more of a “coach” territory (even though it’s just a training group I paid for). I only see 3 weeks ahead on workouts, and am supposed to notify them of needs to deviate from what they put in. It’s interesting, the whole “giving in” part. There’s definitely a few ways my racing schedule this spring has changed than what I would have put together.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats February 9, 2014 at 7:13 PM #

That is one step closer to a one on one coach! It still keeps you accountable and you don’t have to worry about making up the work outs! πŸ™‚

11. falcor007 February 24, 2014 at 9:58 AM #

Getting a coach was the best thing I ever did. I pr’d my Half Ironman by OVER an hour! Plus my running has never been so fast. They bring out the best in you that you only hoped was inside but didn’t really know if it was there. πŸ™‚