Shamrock PDX 2014

18 Mar

Sunday was my 6th running of the Portland Shamrock 15K. For the majority of the years it has been crappy weather. This year it was supposed to be nice. The temperature was not bad. It sprinkled a couple of times. No biggie!

Goals: No real goals. I did not think I could PR. I just have not done enough hills and hill repeats like I have in the past. I wanted to beat my time from Hot Chocolate 2 weeks ago. 2 reasons: 1- I was “sick” under the weather…whatever you want to call it. 2-I beat my time last year by 20 seconds. I really thought I had it in the bag. I felt really good overall.

I also worked with Zoe at the Nuun booth all day Friday and Saturday. Dan gave me a foot rub both nights so I think that compensated for any soreness that would have made or broke my race! πŸ™‚

We were running a contest: asking people why they ran? Here was my response:
dessertpic

Day 2: Holly came by to say hi!

2nd piece of business: Big Sur is T minus 6 weeks away and if I want to do even relatively good I am going to have to start to up my long runs to more than 12 miles. The Shamrock start line is almost 2 miles from our apartment so we were going to run there and back to add in mileage. (Dan was not exactly excited for that–but he did it) πŸ™‚

THE BEFORE: Miles 0-1.86: Average: 11:43 The pace was going to very slow. Dan said we should Jog or “Yog”? I thought he made it up. I should have know it was a movie quote!!

THE RACE: Shamrock 15K: Garmin clocked: (9.43 miles) Average: 9:52

It was actually nice having done the warm up. I got into a comfortable hard pace right away. The first 2 miles were probably too fast but we go over train tracks at around mile 2 and a train was blowing his horn so I picked up. I never saw the train. Not sure where it was or where it was going but I was happy that I did not get stuck behind it!!

It is flat until about mile 2.5 where there is an aid station. Just in time for the hurt to begin! UP Broadway. Steady incline with a few steep pitches. Mile 4 we hit another aid station and begin our 2 mile climb up Terwilliger. I still felt good. I think I was just a little slower then last year. My times (in training) up Terwilliger were not awesome. I think I only did one session of hill repeats. (which I usually do them once a week for the first 10 weeks of the year. Leading up to the race) I just kept moving along.

I was happy to get to the top of Terwilliger (mile 6). I always am. Everyone always is!! 3rd aid station. The bag pipers piping. I was not sure how I had done compared to last year. I think I was still a minute behind.

Now the cruise down. I just let go BUT I did not want it as bad as I did last year. I was really gunning for the PR and this year I wanted to do well but maybe because I had not put the pressure on myself to PR…so I did not happen. I did not look at my watch the last couple of miles. I did not really want to know.

I was pleasantly surprised that I was only over my PR by about 2 minutes. It was also faster than Hot Chocolate and that is all that mattered! I had a great and fun race.

I love this race. I don’t know why. Maybe because it is local or because I have done it for so many years. It is certainly not for the weather or the shitshow of people that come out to run it. But better believe the 3rd Sunday of every March I will be running the 15K with all the other crazies in P-Town!

I FINALLY got of out of this mess of green:
and found Dan.

It had started to rain and of course we were running right into the wind. It was freezing.

THE AFTER-MATH: Miles: 11.29-14.54 Average: 10:42 We were a little faster than a “yog.” I dropped him at home and picked up the pace a bit. I felt really good especially when I turned around and the wind was on my back! Booyah!

I met up with some old friends: Holly and Lauren and a new friend: Adrienne for brunch.

I was starving. I bet you could not tell!!

Happy Day After St. Patrick’s Day Friends!! Did you do anything fun?

20 Responses to “Shamrock PDX 2014”

1. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com March 19, 2014 at 7:20 AM #

I run for dessert, too! Awesome job in the race! It’s always nice to do better than you think you will πŸ™‚ I think this Dan guy is a keeper… 2 foot rubs back to back… what a guy! I love that the medal has a clip so you can take to bottle opener off and actually use it. How clever! Glad you had a great weekend πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM #

Thanks! He is a total keeper! He couldn’t believe that I told the world wide web that he gave me a foot rub! I said why not?!! πŸ™‚

2. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust March 19, 2014 at 8:54 AM #

I have always wanted to run the Shamrock PDX, but never make it over! Next year for sure. I’ve never run a 15K but it seems like a great distance. Love your pictures and the sea of green – I’m sure the entertainment value (especially in Portland) was priceless.

3. Lauren March 19, 2014 at 9:38 AM #

LOL! That is why you had to take a picture of your empty plate when you told the waiter you weren’t’ done…for the blog! DUH! Sooo great to catch up with you, hope to see you soon!

4. erin March 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM #

What a fun race! Love a good shamrocked theme run πŸ™‚ I run for dessert, too… specifically coconut macs!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM #

OMG Erin…if you ever come to Portland you have to go to Blue Bird Bakers. They make the BEST coconut macaroons you have ever had. Not even joking!! They are amazing!!!

• Kristen L March 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM #

Blue Bird bakers will have to be added to my list too. LOVE coconut macaroons!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 21, 2014 at 5:51 PM #

OMG!!! When you come up here…we will totally go!!! All of their cookies are delicious!!!

5. Change of Pace March 19, 2014 at 12:23 PM #

Sounds like a really fun race- congrats! I think it’s so nice that you have so many friends who run, in addition to Dan πŸ™‚
    I didn’t know you’re doing Big Sur!!! I’m so excited to hear about it!! I’ve always wanted to run it and really want to see it. (We skipped it on our trip because I get car sick really easily…)
    I run and bike for dessert πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM #

Yes!! I am very excited for Big Sur. I wish I could train harder for it but being in the middle of Ironman training it is hard! I have heard it is gorgeous…so sad you had to miss it!!!

6. Jesica @rUnladylike March 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM #

Congrats on what looked like a fun race. I’m jealous that you, Zoe and Holly were all in the same place. Made me want to be there πŸ™‚ xoxo

7. Kristen L March 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM #

SO fun!! Ryan and I will have to run this next year with you. πŸ™‚ Sounds like Kristen is in too!
    I can’t believe you didn’t know yogging was from Achorman. Hilarious movie!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 21, 2014 at 5:51 PM #

Yes!!! That would be so fun!!!! I have only seen Anchorman once and it was a long time ago!! πŸ™‚

8. Lisa @ Lisa Runs for Cupcakes March 27, 2014 at 6:22 AM #

How fun! Looks like you had a ton of fun with lots of great Nuunies πŸ™‚ PS. I get jealous of all these awesome west coast races… must convince the Army to send Jake your way!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Training Week #8 | Triathlete Treats - March 27, 2014

[…] Shamrock 15K Total of 14.5 miles “yog”, “race pace”, long run pace Swam 3000 yards: warm […]

2. If it’s NOT Raining it’s NOT Shamrock!! | Triathlete Treats - March 15, 2015

[…] like last year: I had passed the first train crossing and I could hear the horns coming so I sprinted ran hard for […]