Ironman Canada Training Week #6 and #7

Week 6 Training:
Swim: 8000 yards
Bike: 59 miles
Run: 24.3 miles
Core: 2 + (2 short sets)
Strength: 1

This week started with the Seattle Hot Chocolate 15K. This was a “recovery” week. About the same mileage just not the intensity of a “regular” week. A couple of great swims. The runs and trainer rides were easy for the exception of the power bike test on Saturday. I finished up being under the weather and felt relatively good! πŸ™‚

Week 7 Training:
Swim: 8300 yards
Bike: 58 miles
Run: 9.1 miles
Core: 1 + (2 short sets)
Strength: 1

Swims were good. We did a “special” set at Masters this week. After warming up and doing some secondary warm up sets. We were doing 50s on the 1:01. But the kicker was we had to be back by the time the second hand was on the 60. They got shorter and harder as the intervals went on. I got through 16. I thought I would be able to do a few more than that but now I will have a baseline the next time we do the set.

We did lots of climbing on the bike this week! Plus we didn’t do our usual brick on Saturday because coach wanted us to be fresh for the Shamrock run!

Runs: my first track work out since before RNRAZ. 6 x 800’s. I was not sure what to aim for but I did better than I thought after not doing speed for the last 2 months! πŸ™‚

Boring couple of weeks. But feeling good. The mileage is about to get real very very soon! We are outside riding in T minus 2 weeks and my bike mileage is going to double!

13 Responses to “Ironman Canada Training Week #6 and #7”

1. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust March 21, 2014 at 6:16 PM #

WOW, you are owning the pool! Any tips on getting faster? I am a newbie swimmer and can’t seem to speed it up no matter how much I swim. I did my first speed workout this week too.. it was amazing. Such a switch up from my normal long endurance runs. Keep up the great work – can’t wait to see how your doubling the mileage goes in the upcoming weeks.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 23, 2014 at 8:26 PM #

Ha!! Thanks!! Doing intervals. Faster than you think you can go! Start with 50s, 100s, 200s. Speed work has to be hard for you to improve. πŸ™‚ If there is any way to do a Masters swim…do it!! That is how I became faster. Or swim with faster people. I am sure your coach will start putting more speed work on the schedule right?!

2. Change of Pace March 22, 2014 at 2:17 PM #

Pretty solid weeks, especially considering you weren’t feeling well for part of it! Your swims sound insane. I can’t wait for you to rock Alta Lake πŸ™‚
    I feel like I’ve been living on the trainer. My butt can’t wait to get outside (it’s always so much worse indoors for me)!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 23, 2014 at 8:21 PM #

I am actually nervous to go outside to ride. It is just so cold! Good for you for still riding even if it is indoors!! πŸ™‚ At least you aren’t doing 4 hour rides like last year!! L)

3. erin March 23, 2014 at 9:02 AM #

Solid week, Leslie! I agree with Abby… you’re gonna rock Alta Lake! πŸ™‚ It’s currently 11 degrees, and I’m dreaming of biking outside, too!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 23, 2014 at 8:19 PM #

11 degrees. I.would.die!! I am sure it will be “warmer” soon and you will finally get outside!! πŸ™‚

4. Kara March 27, 2014 at 7:29 AM #

I need to get caught up on your posts! But it looks like you’re CRUSHING your training! Woo hoo! Makes me want to sign up for another tri πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 27, 2014 at 8:50 PM #

Thanks!! Great to hear from you!! You should sign up for something. Just a short one would be fun?!!

5. Kristen L March 27, 2014 at 11:49 AM #

Wow that 50s swim workout sounds tough! So you basically get a second less time every interval, right? I don’t think I’m a super strong swimmer, but I’m improving slowly. Just did a 10 x 100 workout yesterday morning! Great job these two weeks!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 27, 2014 at 8:49 PM #

Yes! One second less each interval!! You should the work out!! I bet you would do better than you think! Don’t go crazy in the first couple! 10×100 is great. Did you do them on a set interval or just rest time?

• Kristen L March 27, 2014 at 9:37 PM #

I did 100 hard (1:40) then 100 easy times 10. After a couple I game myself a couple seconds rest because I was *dying* after the hard intervals!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 28, 2014 at 8:55 AM #

Nice job!!!!! That sounds tough!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Weeks #16 & 17 | Triathlete Treats - June 5, 2014

[…] feeling good in the water! In masters we did 50′s on the 1:01 again and I did 2 more than I did last time!!! I was pretty excited about that!! πŸ™‚ Biking was good. NOT […]