Baking Extravaganza Weekend!!

23 Mar

I am just going to get right down to it. Bars, cookies, and a cake were on tap for this weekend. We had a birthday party to go to Friday night that I would have liked to take a cake to. BUT it was at a restaurant with 15 people. I just thought it would be to hard to cart the cake down there. Get plates, knives, and extra forks (it was a sushi place). I decided to just go with some bars. Not just any bars. Toffee Shortbread Bars.

Hello DELICIOUS!

Check out the recipe here —–> Toffee Shortbread Bars

Super easy recipe.

Shortbread layer.
Sweetened condensed milk.
Chocolate chips.
Toffee.
EASY!!

Erica loved them. She had 3! 🙂

Saturday. We had a dinner party. Like an adult dinner party. So.much.fun!

We went to a cooking class for Valentine’s Day. This was our first test to see if we could re-produce what we made in the class. (only the bruschetta and risotto)

Apps: Bruschetta. (mozzarella, basil, & lemon zest; olive tapenade & goat cheese; roasted red bell pepper & basil; rosemary loaf)
Dinner: Butternut squash risotto. Turned out really great.
Kale salad. I am going to do a separate post on this. I have some really great recipes!!
Dessert: (Most importantly) Mocha almond fudge cookies. Turns out I made this last year at about the same time. Oops. They are super easy and I had all of the ingredients at home already! I also halved the recipe because we I did not want left overs!! 🙂

Tomorrow is Dan’s birthday and I found this gem —->Snickers Brownie Peanut Butter Ice Cream Cake for his family celebration tonight.

A bit of a problem right off the bat. You cook the brownie first. You are supposed to 1/2 the mix into 2 pans. I tried to spread 1/2 into the first pan and I thought it would be too thin. I thought what the heck. I will just do the entire brownie with the “ice cream” on top and not layer it.
Second problem was I decided it was thick enough to cut it in half. (She warns us this is hard to do). I thought I had done a good job. Well I took them apart and (you see from the above picture) I was totally wrong!

Turned out great. BUT the last problem was: you are supposed to layer it in a springform pan. The brownie was cooked in a smaller pan. I thought it will be fine to just layer it on the plate. Wrong again. It would have been fine if the brownie layers were even!

You can see that it is cracked here!

This is the cracked side. All of the “ice cream” was not staying in place! 😦

Everyone loved it.

Looks a little different from the recipe page but it was delicious!

I would recommend all of these recipes! Happy Baking!!! Hope everyone had a great weekend!!

11 Responses to “Baking Extravaganza Weekend!!”

1. bayrunnerjamie March 23, 2014 at 10:53 PM #

I just finished a race and I’m famished! Looks so good!

2. Laurie Weinsoft March 24, 2014 at 5:25 AM #

The brownie ice cream cake was so wonderful and looked fantastic. If you hadn’t posted about your production issues I would have never known. Great dessert. May I never have to bake again. You are far more inventive.

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com March 24, 2014 at 5:53 AM #

First off, everything looks phenomenal! Second… sweetened condensed milk makes everything better. And third, who cares what it looks like it it tastes good!? Although I think the Snickers cake still turned out looking pretty good!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 25, 2014 at 3:42 PM #

I agree! As long as it tastes good…who cares!! We are still eating cake. But tonight will be the last of it! 😦

4. Change of Pace March 24, 2014 at 9:29 AM #

I am seriously salivating! Everything looks SO delicious! I think the toffee shortbread bars steal the top prize for me! Were they fairly easy to make?
    Nevermind…I just checked out the cake recipe and think that one wins!
    I need to start pinning these so I remember to bake them!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 25, 2014 at 3:41 PM #

Right?! They are all delicious!! We still have leftover cake which is bad cause I have been trying to be good during the week so I can have a treat or 5 on the weekends!! 🙂

5. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides March 24, 2014 at 9:42 AM #

My ass just gained 5 pounds. Thanks.

And I’ll be making those toffee bars.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 25, 2014 at 3:40 PM #

Oh I am sure I have literally gained 5 pounds!!
      Can’t wait to hear about your baking adventure!

6. Kristen L March 26, 2014 at 7:54 AM #

Sounds like a great weekend of baking! I LOVE dinner parties. They are the best. Good food, and fun times with friends. Seemed like your cake for Dan’s birthday turned out tasty even if it didn’t work quite as you hoped. 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats March 27, 2014 at 8:53 PM #

When you guys move up here and visit Portland…we will definitely have to have a dinner party for you!! that would be so fun!!!!
      The cake was awesome. Really if it tastes good who cares what it looks like!! 🙂

7. Luv What You Do March 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM #

Looks like my kind of weekend!
    The snacks look awesome!!!