The Last 20 MILER!

16 Apr

The countdown started at 10 on Sunday:
bigsur

At o’dark early Sunday morning, Bird Legs and I set out for our last 20 miler before Big Sur! She just happened to be in town for the weekend but was leaving early afternoon on Sunday so we had to start EARLY! It worked out good because then we were done early!! πŸ™‚

Here is the elevation chart for the race:

big1
Looks easy enough huh?!!

This is what I figured out for our run!

elv
Not exactly the same!

We started out flat on the waterfront. Then we started up the hills. Up and over Corbett(which has been my Tuesday morning run). Hit up Terwilliger. Kara was afraid I was going to take her up there!! πŸ™‚ Came back down. Up and over Corbett again. Back to the waterfront with little baby rollers.

We chatted the entire time. I had forgotten how nice it was to have a training partner.

I had originally thought I would try to make this a rehearsal for IMC but I think that it would be too hard. I do not need to take in as many calories at BS then I will need to at IMC. I will probably walk more at IMC then BS.

We came up with our goals for Big Sur:
1-To take in the scenery
2-To have fun and to have an enjoyable race

The sun was out and it was getting warm out. I was happy that we had started that early! We were right at mile 19 here. Can you see that we are super sweaty and tired? We were still smiling though!!

This was kind of a whirlwind of a training cycle. I was regularly doing a 10-12 miler for 2 months. I amped up for a 14 and 16 miler. Shortened week(10 miler). 18 and 20 milers the last 2 weeks. Taper is in full swing now. Well not really. I am still doing everything on my schedule. Next week will be much less!

It will be interesting to see how it goes. No time goal. Which is always better because I typically do better when there isn’t a huge goal looming over my head!!! I am very excited for this race. It is going to be gorgeous!! I am looking forward to the views!!

This was my poor attempt to make a panini after the run! I better let the panini master Dan make them from now on!
It ended up being delicious and I could have eaten like 3 more!! πŸ™‚

Happy Wednesday!! Who saw the lunar eclipse?! I was exhausted and really wanted to stay up could there was no way! I heard you could not really see it until midnight!

7 Responses to “The Last 20 MILER!”

1. Raluca T April 16, 2014 at 9:39 PM #

woohoo! Great time given THOSE hills. I will tackle my first 20 miler next week, but I will have to run it alone – and that’s the hardest part.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 18, 2014 at 10:07 AM #

Awesome! What marathon are you doing?
      The only good thing about running it alone is you get to work on your mental toughness!! You got this!! Good luck!!

2. Change of Pace April 17, 2014 at 7:04 AM #

Wow- way to run! That looks like awesome hilly practice for any race!
    (In IMC you don’t really notice the run hills since they’re rolling throughout! Not like CdA where there’s that monster on each lap.)
    Harold actually needed to go outside in the middle of the night on the lunar eclipse night! I was actually excited he got me out of bed, but then grumpy when I realized our sky was totally cloud covered!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats April 18, 2014 at 10:06 AM #

Good to hear about IMC!! We are going up in June to check out the course!!
      Oh no! You got up and then couldn’t see it anyway!! 😦
      Have an awesome weekend Abby!

3. Sherrie April 17, 2014 at 3:42 PM #

I saw the whole thing from Seb’s window. Just woke up to see it.

4. Kecia April 18, 2014 at 6:37 PM #

Happy Tapering!! I slept right though the eclipse.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Week 10 | Triathlete Treats - April 20, 2014

[…] Last 20 miler. Lots more hills! I think that is why my flat run(brick) went so good because I have been working on […]