Ironman Canada Training Week #14

12 May

With 11 weeks until Ironman. It is only going to get tougher from here. We have 2 big training camps coming up. To say I am scared shitless is an understatement. I am ready to get stronger and more fit as we continue to build. I just hope we can continue with some good weather. πŸ™‚

grumpy

Here is how Week 14 looked!

Sunday: The ride from hell. 54 miles with 3500 feet elevation gain.
Here was the weather forecast:
weather54
Lets talk first about the 50% chance of precipitation. It turned into 100% as soon as our wheels were down! It was off/on and super annoying. What was even worse was the wind! As you can see it only got worse as the morning went on.
Kat had 2 flat tires and I had got a flat. It was just one thing after another!
Moral of the story: What does not kill us is only going to make us stronger!

We were a long way from home!!

We were a long way from home!!

Monday: Spin class—> hard class. Not sure if it was dead legs from yesterdays ride or if it was just hard in general! πŸ™‚

11 mile bike commute

Tuesday: 3000 yard swim. It was all about 50s this week. Holy smokes.
Warm up; drills/kicks; 30 x 50: decreasing the time of the interval by after 10 and 20; some 100s of varying speed within the 100.

Run: 1st run post Big Sur: 6.25 miles. I was sorta nervous. It went really well and I felt great! I ran the big hill that is on the RNR Portland course that is next week!! + Core work out.

7 mile bike commute

Wednesday: strength work out: different kind of squats, KB swings, push-ups.
The girls went out for a ride and I was stuck on the trainer because I didn’t have enough time. It was tough too. Single leg drills. Lots of sprinting. Max power. Standing sprints.

Swim: 2700 yards: warm up: drills, fast/slow, builds: 6×100 descending 1-3; ascending 4-6—> almost threshold; MORE 50s—>threshold big time.

Thursday: 7.4 mile run; hill repeats; 2 minutes hard up and walk 1 minute down. (2 mile hill)

Swim 3200 yards: warm up: 3x {300-200-100} (as an endurance set, tempo set, and threshold set) with more hard 50s in between set. This was the swim I nearly had a costume malfunction. I was wearing an old suit that is a little big(or worn out) and I thought it would be ok. It.Was.Not! If that was not bad enough. I was sharing a lane with a woman and we hit hands. For the whole rest of the 50 I literally thought I broke my hand. Not sure whose fault it was but it ended up being ok.

Pi-Yo class: A different teacher. We did more pilates and barely any yoga. At the end she said she is usually a yoga instructor. Interesting. It was a good class though!

We went out with some friends for dinner. We ended up at Salt & Straw with a lot of ice cream.

Friday: Coach’s core work out: Low planks/high planks; cable oblique work; swiss ball crunches/leg lifts/tucks

I was planning on a ride outside since I didn’t get to go out on Wednesday but it was raining. BOOOOOO!

Saturday: Rest day —-> The best day! I worked hard at the mock tri though!! πŸ™‚

Felt great this week! Looking forward to this week and the great weather we are supposed to have!!

Happy training! Anyone have any memorable moments from the weekend?

11 Responses to “Ironman Canada Training Week #14”

1. Change of Pace May 13, 2014 at 5:28 AM #

That was a big week! Glad your run went well! Are you doing RnR Portland?
    Kelly and I went on a long mountain bike ride in the sunshine!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 13, 2014 at 8:18 PM #

Yes! I am doing RNR. It will be more like a training run with aid stations!!
      Looks like you guys had an awesome ride!!

2. Kecia May 13, 2014 at 5:37 AM #

Bummer about the weather!! It looks about the same here. I’m not sure I know what the sun looks like anymore πŸ˜‰ Great week of training!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 13, 2014 at 3:17 PM #

It is a totally bummer. Super nice this week but the forecast is rain for our big stuff this weekend! 😦 Hope your week is going good!

3. Single-Tracked Mind May 13, 2014 at 12:33 PM #

Great week of workouts!

4. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides May 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM #

I guess it’s better to be scared shitless than to be full of crap πŸ™‚ Nice work there. And I’m incredibly jealous that you have access to a 2-mile hill. They don’t make those in Indiana.

5. Kristin (@SweatCourage) May 14, 2014 at 12:24 PM #

I really hate it when the weather says 50% chance rain and it ends up being 100% chance! That happened to me about a month ago and I got stuck in a torrential downpour. Looks like you had a great week… and I know what you mean, it only gets harder from here (I’m 15 weeks from my IM). I also practice single leg drills and I love KB swings!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM #

The poor weather guys get some much slack for it too! It was suppose to rain all day today and there were lots of downpours in between sun breaks. It is not bad running in the rain but biking in the rain is a total different story!! πŸ™‚

6. Kara May 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM #

You’re my hero. Every time I read your posts I’m in awe! I’m pretty sure I’ve said this already recently, but I wish we lived closer together so you could motivate me, haha! And so we could eat ice cream together! (That looks sooo good!) Amazing job on that bike ride…and the hill run!

7. Kristen L May 14, 2014 at 8:33 PM #

Nice week! I hope you have been enjoying the sun and warmth so far this week!!