Todays Ride + Tomorrows Goals

17 May

TODAY!!
I am sitting here trying to think of a good way to write a re-cap of the 81 mile sufferfest bike ride I went on today. I am so tired. I need a nap. We climbed 4500 ft. Looking back on the ride. It was fine. My legs felt pretty good. My back was not happy.

The ride looked like this: We started out flat. We did a 3 mile climb. Lots of rollers. A descent that is a 4.5 mile rollers/descent. More flat. Another 2 mile climb. Rollers to bring it home!

Here we are setting up to go up the first climb!

The first couple of hours felt pretty good.

Once we started the flat section at about mile 35, my back was sore. I was not happy. We started off. I was off. I was trying to calculate my calorie intake to this point. It was not good. I quickly took in a Picky Bar. I felt better but the wind was getting to me.

We had planned to stop at the store to get some snacks/drinks at about mile 47.

It was nice to stretch out my back. I tried to calculate my calories again. I had a plan. I really wanted a coke. I don’t even drink soda but it sounded good. I bought a Dr. Pepper and we all had a few swigs. I felt better for the majority of the 2nd loop. We started up the climb and it was tough. I haven’t been up Newberry since last year. My back was super sore. I got to the top. I was out of liquids. (stupid) I tried to eat my second rice cake. I had nothing to wash it down so it was hard. I felt a little better when I got through it. When I finally got back to the waterfront I was pumped to get to the water fountain!

That was the ride in a nutshell! I need to work on my nutrition. That is a FACT! There is nothing I can do about my back. I do core work, pilates, yoga. Nothing helps. I have had this problem since I started ride for long periods of time. I definitely blame it on my job. I try to have good posture at work. I try to keep the core tight while cycling.

I got home and immediately texted Dan:

I usually have a couple of these “bad” rides before I have some really good rides. I got home and my averages were not as bad I thought they would be. I was happy about that! πŸ™‚

TOMORROW!!
I am running Rock N Roll Portland 1/2 marathon. I hit up the expo yesterday.

I got my bib and shirt. I signed up for next years race and got a free tee. Just another RNR expo!

I am excited. I love this course. I don’t have any real goals. I am taking this as a training run with aid stations. We have a 16 mile run on the schedule for tomorrow. I plan on “yogging” down to the start and then if I feel like it “yogging” home. I will call it good after that!! πŸ™‚

The weather says rain. 70% chance. I was just happy it stayed dry today.

Any exciting news from your weekend?!

17 Responses to “Todays Ride + Tomorrows Goals”

1. Kristen L May 17, 2014 at 10:25 PM #

Way to stick with it on a tough ride today. Some days just finishing a workout is a big accomplishment. Keep working on the nutrition, and I’m sure that will help. Have fun at RNR Portland tomorrow! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM #

Thanks!! It is the first huge/long ride of the year. The ride definitely put me in check for next weekend!! πŸ™‚

2. Amie May 18, 2014 at 5:08 AM #

I have been having the same thoughts over the past two weeks. I’m not sure why I signed up for the Syracuse 70.3 again and I’m left wondering if IMLP is a realistic goal. Happily I had a good session yesterday and I have a more positive outlook again, the mental game really is 75%+ of making it to the finish line!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM #

This is a tough sport. You are tired and hungry all of the time. The training is hard work. You definitely have to WANT TO DO an Ironman. Or the training will be that much harder!! It is always nice to have a good session after some negative thoughts!! That always helps me. πŸ™‚

3. Kecia May 18, 2014 at 5:45 AM #

Nice job toughing out your ride. Have you had a bike fit recently to see if adjustments need to be made to alleviate stress on your back? Just a thought. Have a great run today and you’ll be glad you gutted through some of these workouts come race day πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:42 PM #

Thanks!! Yes I have had fits. I had a recent one because I got new shoes. Nothing seems to help. I know being a dental hygienist for 12 years has never helped me back! 😦
      Yes….the training is definitely the hard part! We just have to make it through the training!! πŸ™‚

4. erin May 18, 2014 at 6:43 AM #

Way to keep on pedaling! Nutrition and bike fit are key (definitely get one if you haven’t… heck, even if you’ve had one, it’s not a bad idea to get another… my coach just told me I need to be refit, too)! Looks like an awesome ride! I’m jealous of all that climbing πŸ™‚

Best of luck at the 13.1 today! Fingers crossed the rain holds off!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM #

Nutrition is totally key. I totally know that. I don’t know what is wrong with me. Believe me next week will be better!! πŸ™‚
      Yes I have had a recent fit. I got new shoes and got a new fit! I have had multiple fits. Nothing seems to work!! 😦

5. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 18, 2014 at 10:56 AM #

81 miles is definitely something to be proud of. At least you got to ride with a group of people and make a couple pit stops to reload. I am the same way about nutrition and often times do not take in enough calories. I finally invested in some Carbo-Pro just to get in some additional calories. I have a hard time eating while on the bike. I ran out of liquids once and almost had a panic attack – I have to have something to drink at all times. Can’t wait to hear how RNR Portland goes. Looks like a great course.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:06 PM #

I totally know better when it comes to nutrition I am not sure what I was doing. I thought I had enough water when we stopped because it was in a Camelback. Sometimes it is hard to gauge how much is left!! 😦

6. Kristina May 18, 2014 at 1:46 PM #

Wow – that is a tough ride! I almost ran out of food/hydration yesterday on a long run and I was cursing myself. I do think that coke/sprite is a life saver on long rides – or right after one.
    Hope that you had a great time today!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM #

I totally know better about the nutrition! It is funny how the sugar/caffeine taste so good after working out so long!! πŸ™‚

7. Change of Pace May 18, 2014 at 2:41 PM #

Great riding with all those hills- you’ll be so happy you did them for the Whistler course! That sucks about your back; I know what would help it…a road bike without aero bars πŸ™‚ My back felt amazing through all of the Whistler ride!
    Does Dan train solo or with another group?
    Hope your run went well today!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 18, 2014 at 8:02 PM #

Thanks! Interesting. I ride a road bike with clip on aero bars. I am not super into being in aero unless I am on flats.
      Dan is training a lot on his own. He is also a captain for a Team in Training team.

• Change of Pace May 19, 2014 at 2:20 PM #

You should try without the aero bars! For CdA (and some training leading up to it) I had aero bars on my road bike. I felt like throwing it out the window after the race because my back hurt so bad.
        For Canada I went without the aero bars and it’s the first 180km ride I haven’t had back pain!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM #

Interesting!! Did you get a new bike fit when you took them off??!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks