RNR Portland Take 3

18 May

This was the third running of Rock N Roll Portland 1/2 marathon. This is one of my favorite races in Portland. It is different from all of the rest. It goes over the river to the east side. There are lots of hills. I forgot how hard it was! 🙂

I got up at 6. Even though I went to bed at 8:30 (fell asleep about 9:30) it did not feel like enough!! My legs felt good. I was not sure what would happen. I needed to stay positive. I ate breakfast. Taped up my toes. Foam rolled. I was out the door by 7:30. I was going to meet some friends.

I “yogged” down to the start. 1.5 miles. Easy! It was raining. It was going to be a long morning. I cut it a little close. I needed some water but couldn’t find any. I was trying to find my friends. I decided to just walk down to the water fountain. Which was farther than I thought. By the time I could get into the corrals, it was a total shitshow! I finally got into a corral. Not sure which one. Somewhere between my corral and the corral my friends were in!

It started off late because they were waiting for a train. Luckily enough it had stopped raining.

Started off not too fast. I thought I would just start off and see where my pace was. It was decent. The first couple of miles are flat.

Going over the Hawthorne Bridge

Going over the Hawthorne Bridge

A few rollers from 5-7. A big hill and more rollers from 7-11. I was staying steady. My legs were doing better than I thought. I was staying mentally positive. I just didn’t want to walk (except through the aid stations).

There was finally some downhill from 11-12. Which is always welcomed! 🙂 By the time I got to mile 12. I was right at the time I had finished last year. Dang it. I knew going into it, even with fresh legs, I would not have done as good as last year.

I saw Stephanie at the bottom of the Steel bridge. She got a good action shot!! That gave me a little boost to get to the finish!!

I finished in 2:17. Definitely my slowest of all the 3 Portland races. It was still fun. I got my medal and some Gatorade. I still had to “yog” back home. I was sad that I didn’t get the chocolate milk or snacks but I wasn’t going to run with a bunch of stuff. I finally got to meet up with Ilana and Sara.

Dan was finishing his work out and met me down by the finish. We ran home together which was nice!!

16 miles down. We went to brunch. Grocery shopped. A nap. A swim! Now we start all over again tomorrow!! 70 days until the BIG day!!

Have a great week!!!

22 Responses to “RNR Portland Take 3”

1. Healthy Strides May 19, 2014 at 3:51 AM #

Nice job, there! I love the medals.

2. Kecia May 19, 2014 at 7:54 AM #

Way to have a strong race despite the rain. Hard to believe race day is only 70 days away 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 19, 2014 at 1:35 PM #

Thanks!! You are telling me. 70 days is going to be tomorrow!! 🙂 What is your countdown (to WI)?

• Kecia May 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM #

We still have 17 weeks, so I’m not counting days yet 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:45 AM #

I think counting the weeks is better. It doesn’t seem as scary!! 🙂

• Kecia May 20, 2014 at 2:12 PM #

I completely agree!!

3. Single-Tracked Mind May 19, 2014 at 10:54 AM #

Great job! I’d love to do a race in Portland some day – celebrated by some brewery beers afterwards. 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM #

Thanks!! Absolutely!! You should come up! We have plenty of breweries and beer to choose from! (That might be a harder decision than the race itself!!) 🙂

4. Kristin (@SweatCourage) May 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM #

Nice job!! Looks like the weather wasn’t the best, but you still did great! I hate it when corrals are a ‘shitshow’.. it can add stress to the beginning of a race. Hard to believe you’re under 70 days from your IM! I would love to do a race in the Pacific Northwest:)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:48 AM #

You are telling me. Just yesterday we were signing up for it! Now we are getting down to it!! 🙂
      You should absolutely come and race here! The weather somehow (usually) ends up being pretty good!!

5. birdlegs May 19, 2014 at 1:58 PM #

L-O-V-E, love the medal!

6. Change of Pace May 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM #

Congratulations!! That’s pretty impressive with your high milage weeks!
    Exciting about the 70 days!!

7. bayrunnerjamie May 19, 2014 at 2:19 PM #

Congratulations! I’ve heard Portland is a fantastic running city, I definitely need to get there one day 🙂 I love how happy you look running!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:46 AM #

Thanks!! It is a great running city!! We have lots of races. You should definitely make your way up here some time! 🙂

8. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com May 20, 2014 at 7:08 AM #

That’s a great shot of you running! You completely amaze me with all the training AND racing you do. Love that your earrings match your Nuun visor 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:44 AM #

Funny you noticed that! I always seem to have the same color gum in my mouth as my earrings. I have a friend that always notices that!! 🙂

9. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 20, 2014 at 7:14 AM #

Great job, lady! Way to complete 16 miles amidst an intense training week! I can’t wait to the Portland Marathon – I’ve never done a race in Portland before.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 20, 2014 at 10:43 AM #

Thanks!!! Ohhh! The marathon is pretty good. There are some boring miles on HWY 30 but overall good!! 🙂

10. Kristen L May 20, 2014 at 9:01 PM #

Cool medal! Seems like this race was a great way to get in your Lon run for training. I would especially look forward to the post- run nap!!! 🙂

11. erin May 26, 2014 at 5:39 PM #

Love that pic of you running! Congrats! Looks like you had a blast despite a soggy day 🙂 The countdown is ON! So pumped for you!

12. Jesica @rUnladylike June 3, 2014 at 2:17 PM #

Congrats on your 3rd RnR Portland race! I’d love to do this one some day. The medal is fun too!