Sunriver Training Camp

28 May

If I were to write a memoir, the title would be: “Into A Headwind.” I feel like that is the motto of my life right now! Always into a headwind. On the bike, running, at work, everywhere! That being said I will tell you how miserable fun camp was.

Friday night we arrive. A 5 mile “shake out” run was the plan. It was about 6:30. The air was thin and crisp. Andrea and I ran together. We also drove together and I am surprised that we had much to say on our run. It was faster than I thought it would be but felt great. I was excited it went well. I was positive the next 3 days would go well too!

Saturday: 8am: 4K time trial. Really how do you do a 4000 yard time trial?! The 12 of us got into 3 lanes. 200 warm up. It was on. Jeremy gave us the option of doing the entire 4000 with no rest or 4 x 1000 with :20 rest. Erica and the “other” Leslie went totally through. Steph and I stopped for breaks. For me it was a re-start. I was off by 75 the first time. I was day-dreaming and counting but I am not sure one of the 1000s was actually counted correctly. I was lucky that Steph was paying attention. (I later found out, she was just watching her watch!!) πŸ™‚ That went way better than I thought it would.

It was so awesome to swim in an outdoor pool!!

Noon:
46 mile bike/9.35 run BRICK

Getting ready to head out!

Getting ready to head out!

The ride was pretty flat. Only about 800ft elevation gain. It felt good to start. We made a turn and it was right into the wind + chip seal. If you have ever ridden on chip seal you know how shitty it is. I had my first dark moment on this road! The wind had me down. The chip seal had me down. I was pissed. I was not having fun. I kind of snapped out of it miles later. We made our 3rd turn and it was much smoother!

I was trying to calculate calories. I needed to take in enough if I had any hope of having a good run!! I thought I had enough. I was wrong!

Anne and I took some selfies as we were going back into Sunriver!!

Great views!
We are heading that way tomorrow!!

The run started out slow and it only progressed slower. It was 2:30 or so and it was hot. The sun was out in full force at 4,500 ft. We were doing 2 X 5 mile out and backs. I had some warmish Nuun. A gu! Nothing was cutting it! I got down with the first loop and put some cold water on my face and visor. I put ice in my water bottle. It was better for a short while. I was re-living the awful run from Pac Crest last year! Miserable! I wanted to cry! I wanted to pour the water on my head but I had to conserve it. I ran out at about 8. I was going back and I didn’t care if I had done 10 miles or not. I got back and everyone had a tough time! At least I was not the only one!! Again I just wanted to cry! Today was supposed to go better than this!!!

I thought well there is always tomorrow! We had dinner, sat in the hot tub, and hit the hay for another long day tomorrow!

Sunday: 8am: 1300 yard swim. We warmed up; did lots of open water drills. Breathing to our “bad” side, drafting, mass starts etc.

11am: 105 mile bike ride
We were ready to hit the open road!

Here is the elevation chart!! 6,800 ft climbed!
bachelor

It is essentially 60 miles of climbing (starts gradual and gets harder the closer we got to the summit); descend for 14 miles into Bend; turn around and climb 10 miles back up to the Sunriver turn off; Descend down 10 miles; with the last of the miles being rollers!

Hard right?! I really wanted to start out conservatively. Scott has told me I have to be very “patient” during the bike leg of IMC. I was going to practice. πŸ™‚ We rode out to the start of the Pac Crest ride. It started out ok. We saw Jeremy at about mile 30. Right after more chip seal! We stopped got some water and more sunscreen!

We headed out on the Cascade Lakes Hwy. The road is a little better. We were on our way to Bachelor! I was already feeling like my nutrition was off. My back was starting to hurt. (shocking) We were just focused on getting up to Bachelor where we would see Jeremy again for “lunch.”

Elk Lake:

Approaching Bachelor: It was getting cold. Like too cold. I stopped and put some snow on my back and wish I would have put some in my water bottle!

Mile 60! Lunch!! A welcomed break!

Jeremy had sandwiches, quinoa salad, chips, Gatorade. Nothing sounded good. He gave me some quinoa and chips. It was good. Something better than sugar.

We were finally going to descend. It is usually pretty fun. We had a pretty hardy tailwind so it was a little scary! I didn’t really realize it was a tailwind until we turned around.

and what goes down must go back up….

At 75ish miles we turned back into a pretty stiff headwind. It was still mentally ok. I broke away from Anne and Leslie. I had a couple Gus. Those seem to go down pretty good. I wish I would have had one more to get me to the top! I started eating a Picky Bar but I was dangerously low on fluids. It barely went down. I wanted to cry.

I felt pretty good besides my back. I felt like I had been patient through the entire ride to get me through the hell of this climb. But every time there would be a huge gust of wind I wanted to cry.

It was finally time to go home! Another descent and rollers with a tailwind. At mile 95, I kept thinking if I can continue over a 20mph clip I can be home in a half hour. Just keep going. I was cruising!

It was finally over….BUT a transition run loomed!

20 minute transition run. Felt ok. It was much cooler than yesterday!

Again dinner, hot tub, and bed!!

Monday: 8:00am 7 mile trail run

My only goal for this run was to survive!! I thought I would take it slow and steady. It was rough to begin with but I enjoyed the beauty of it. I was super sad I didn’t have my camera/phone!! It was a great day. It was nice and cool.

We ran out to Benham Falls. It is more like a class V rapid then a waterfall! But cool to see! Great trail!

All and all hard weekend! Tough mentally and physically! I did it though. πŸ™‚ I definitely need to revamp my nutrition strategy and work on my mental toughness!!

A tough weekend called for a cherry limeade!!

Tell me what you did on your long weekend?!!!

20 Responses to “Sunriver Training Camp”

1. Kecia May 28, 2014 at 5:03 PM #

Awesome pics and what an amazing ride!! We did a 102 mile bike ride on Sunday, but our scenery wasn’t nearly as spectacular and we didn’t come close to climbing that many feet πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 29, 2014 at 8:07 AM #

Your ride sounded better because you got to stop and have breaks!!! πŸ™‚ I couldn’t believe we climbed that much. I thought we were only doing 5k or 5.5k!! I was actually really excited to see we had climbed way more!! πŸ™‚

• Kecia May 29, 2014 at 8:14 AM #

That will definitely boost the confidence for race day πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats May 29, 2014 at 8:15 AM #

I am hoping so!! πŸ˜‰

2. MoM May 28, 2014 at 7:46 PM #

You are one tough chick!

3. Change of Pace May 28, 2014 at 9:25 PM #

Congratulations on an awesome training weekend! That sucks your back has been hurting a lot. But holy smokes- you’ll be ready for Whistler!
    We only had a two-day weekend but we got away to the mountains and hiked a lot!!

4. Healthy Strides May 29, 2014 at 9:57 AM #

Wow. Just wow. Way to do it, girl. Even when it was tough! The bonus: You look so joyful doing it.

5. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust May 29, 2014 at 11:39 AM #

You guys did a serious killer climb on Sunday! Tackling the backside of the Cascades, up the Sparks Lake climb (b-r-u-t-a-l) and then Bachelor? Way to go! I rode up to Bachelor on Saturday and got my first “real” experience flying downhill in the aero position – pretty nerve-wrecking at times with that whipping wind! Glad you had such a wonderful time in Sunriver. I agree – a change of scenery is always nice for training.

6. Kristin (@SweatCourage) May 29, 2014 at 1:35 PM #

Wow talk about an amazing experience! I love all of your photos and I can’t believe you guys still have snow out there. You honestly look like you had a great time, despite the lovely headwinds (I feel like this always happens to me too!). I also tend to get really sick of eating sugar on the bike and sometimes just want something else, like salty chips or pretzels. I would love to do a training camp one day.. I considered going up to Lake Placid for one, but it sadly does not fit into my summer plans.

7. Anne Duncan May 29, 2014 at 5:19 PM #

You did great & I was so happy to be along side you!! πŸ™‚

8. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com May 30, 2014 at 6:23 AM #

What a great training camp. I’m sure you went through many of the emotions you will on race day and that will only make it that much easier to get through. All of your pics are beautiful! I’m sure a change of scenery helped. I hope you figure out your nutrition. Glad you treated yourself to a cherry limeade! Those are so good πŸ™‚

9. Luv What You Do May 30, 2014 at 8:43 PM #

I want to go to adult camp soo bad! Sometimes I feel like I am swimming upstream too but always love when life settles down!

10. Kristina June 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM #

That sounds so hard but like an awesome experience – and great mental and physical training for you. Hope you got some rest and recovery post-camp!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:35 PM #

Yes! The week after was pretty restful. I got in a lot of extra sleep this weekend too which I am always grateful for!!

11. Kat June 2, 2014 at 11:55 AM #

I’m so glad I wasn’t the only one who wanted to cry on the 2nd climb into the headwinds!
    You are such a strong rider and I love to read that you are human! Looking forward to chasing you on the bike again and again, one of these days I’ll keep up.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:51 PM #

I am glad I wasn’t the only one wanting to cry!!!
      You will catch up one day!! You are doing awesome!! I hope your ride yesterday was good!!!

12. erin June 2, 2014 at 1:18 PM #

GREAT job, lady! You rocked that climb, which means will you have no issues at Canada πŸ™‚ What a fun way to spend a few days! And, that outdoor pool looks lovely!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:32 PM #

I am sure every mile uphill will be banked for all the uphill in Canada!!! πŸ™‚ I would die to swim in an outdoor pool all of the time!!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Weeks #16 & 17 | Triathlete Treats - June 5, 2014

[…] Started off with RNR P-Town 1/2 marathon. I did some hill repeats that felt amazing! The 1st run in Sunriver felt great. I wish I could have said that for the rest of that […]