Today was MOST enjoyable!

1 Jun

It is no secret that I have been having a hard time training lately! I am getting it done but it is so much harder this time around! I think that I have had the biggest problem with my nutrition on the bike! I am not a rookie. I have done 3 other Ironman races. You would think I would have it down!

I guess the biggest problem is I have had a different strategy on every one of those races! I have always taken in about 300 calories an hour. For whatever reason I have been barely taking in 200/hr. Which is NOT enough. I have been suffering and having too many bad rides.

Last weekend I thought I was taking in enough. I think part of the problem there is I have been drinking EFS/Perform. I have barely had any water. I had planned on taking my Camelback but in the end did not. Huge mistake!!

After every weekend of “bad” training I must have a reality/attitude check. I decided that I was tired of that shit! I needed to have a good weekend of training that I was happy about!

Last night I made a loose plan of what I would eat/drink during my ride today!
I would absolutely take my Camelback. I had 2 bottles of EFS(400 calories in each). 2 Picky Bars. 1 Clif Bar. 6 Gus. 1 rice cake. 20 pretzels. I thought we would be out there between 5 to 6 hours. I needed at least 1800 calories. I took a handful extra Gus…just in case! I took the pretzels but didn’t know if I would eat them or not. I knew we would stop at the store at about mile 50 or so. I had planned on getting some Fritos. I was set. I just needed to keep on “eating!!”

We rolled out at 7:30. I am not sure any of us were super excited after our 18 mile run and open water swim yesterday!

The name of the game was to 1) keep on the nutrition like white and rice. 2) pace it out. We were going for 80-90 miles!!

I was right on almost the entire ride. Yay! Go me!!!

We were headed out to Hagg Lake in Forest Grove. It is so funny to bike out there because in a car seems like it takes FOREVER!! (1 hour)

We had a big climb to start. Big Descent. Lots of rollers. Some flat. That got us to the lake. Once we got to the lake it is 10-11 miles of relentless rollers!!

After all of that we stopped at the store. The Frito bag was too big. I opted for a can of Mountain Dew and ate a handful of pretzels! I felt relatively good!

Before I left the house this morning I did some back opening exercises. I really focused on keeping my core tight and my shoulders down. My back still got sore (much later) but I really tried to channel my mental thoughts to good thoughts. I was getting through this ride. My nutrition was on. I was having fun. The weather was cool and dry! Hallelujah!!

We headed home. Some flats. Lots of rollers. A different climb up to Skyline with some more rollers. Another nice descent down into Portland. The ride was over. 89 miles!!! Garmin says we climbed 6200 ft. BUT I am sure if that is right. Seems a little crazy. If it is true I am super happy! I was thinking more like 5000ft!!??

The second BEST thing I did today was having my Camelback with me. What a difference!!! Just to be able to flush everything down! I focused on eating all of my food first and EFS bottles last!! Jeremy reminded me of that strategy so the food could digest. I did have some pretzels as I was cruising home. I didn’t want another Gu. I wouldn’t do that on race day but for 2 miles it would be fine!!

I got home and did a transition run! It actually felt great. It was warm by then too!

After todays ride I need to start thinking more realistically about my bike split in Canada! I really had a great ride today. Much more enjoyable than my last couple of BIG rides! A course with 6,000+ ft climbing is not going to be fast for me. All I can hope for is a good one!! πŸ™‚

How was your weekend?!!

16 Responses to “Today was MOST enjoyable!”

1. Mrs. JLB June 2, 2014 at 12:53 AM #

Great weekend!! Today was LBP 5th bday!!! We had cake and ice cream πŸ™‚ She loved it. xoxo.

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 2, 2014 at 4:56 AM #

Yay for a great ride! Glad you fixed your nutrition prob. Seems like the camelback came to the rescue. Hopefully you’ll have some time before the race to do those back exercises. I’m sure they helped A LOT. I hope you know I vicariously live through your training posts, although I’m not sure I could ever do an Ironman. Keep up the hard work!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:50 PM #

Yay!! Thanks!! You could do an IM!! Anyone can…you just have to WANT to do it because it is hard/long training!!

3. Change of Pace June 2, 2014 at 5:12 AM #

So glad you turned the corner in your bike training! It can be a beast if you’re not enjoying it! That’s awesome you figured out your nutrition, too.
    And to bike that much after 18 miles the day before? Amazing!!
    Sounds like you’ll be more than ready for whistler with all the hills you’re getting in!
    My weekend was so fabulous! Camping, hiking, and the mountains πŸ™‚

4. erin June 2, 2014 at 8:32 AM #

So glad to hear your bike is looking up! Sounds like an awesome ride! Fueling right makes all the difference, right?! With all that climbing, you’ll definitely be ready for Whistler… climbs there are long and steady and so much fun πŸ™‚ My weekend consisted of lots of swimbikerun!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:48 PM #

It is almost absolutely a fueling deal. I don’t know what my problem is!!! I can’t wait to go to Whistler and check out the course!!! I will either be excited or terrified I am sure!! πŸ™‚

5. Joann Symonette June 2, 2014 at 9:02 AM #

Glad to hear your bike workouts are turning around!! I think you are killing it!!! IM training makes you cranky and I swear it messes with your head! LOL So glad you are crawling out of the darkness and having fun/good times with your rides!! Keep it up!!! You are definitely doing the work so its just a matter of nailing that nutrition plan again! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:34 PM #

You know what else IM is for: being hungry and tired all of the time!!! πŸ™‚ Can’t wait to catch up this weekend!

6. bayrunnerjamie June 2, 2014 at 12:18 PM #

I’m impressed with how much work goes in to training for an Ironman! Sounds like your training is really on track right now, it must be a great feeling πŸ™‚ Glad you had such a great ride!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 2:33 PM #

Thanks!! Training for an Ironman is crazy! It is a wonder why I have done it 4 times. But I am calling this one my retire-man!! πŸ™‚

7. Kecia June 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM #

Congrats on turning the page to your bike riding and dialing in your nutrition!! πŸ™‚

I had a nutrition failure this weekend (popcorn and lactose free ice cream do not make a good dinner the night before a tough workout) and should definitely know better. Funny how we know what we SHOULD do, but sometimes fail to implement it πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 2, 2014 at 9:58 PM #

Thanks!!!! πŸ™‚

That is the worst. Thinking popcorn and ice cream is a good dinner before a big workout!! Believe me I have done! I totally feel your pain!! πŸ™‚

8. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM #

I’ve always struggled with nutrition and have often been on the low side of my caloric needs. I think it’s because I would rather drink something than eat something. I finally made the decision to buy carbo pro for some extra calories in my drinks and it’s amazing what a difference it has made – especially if I am switch to a run after. My energy levels are much higher when I meet my body’s needs. Glad you had a positive ride and a good run after – that’s gotta mentally recharge you!

9. Kristina June 4, 2014 at 8:28 PM #

Great attitude! It is interesting that you are having a harder time fueling on the bike this time around. I must admit that I worry about that part of IM – not on the bike, but the run, because I find it really hard to fuel as much as I “should”. I have found that I need a variety of food/fuel – that seems to work.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Week #18 | Triathlete Treats - June 10, 2014

[…] 89 mile bike ride + 2 mile transition run! Finally making some head way in my nutrition! All I focused on was eating!! It […]