Farmers Market + Blue Lake Tri

7 Jun

I LOVE SUMMER!! The days are longer and warmer! Generally the people of Portland are in a better mood. There are festivals every.single.weekend. at the waterfront park. It is the BEST time to be in Portland!

When I lived downtown I went to the farmers market just about every weekend. I love fresh produce and buying it from a local farmer! I moved away from downtown about a year and 1/2 ago. I think in all of that time I have been to the farmers market a handful of times!

BUT…

Now that I live on the south waterfront there is a farmers market on Thursdays! It is not that big but it will do! πŸ™‚ It just opened on Thursday and I went and got some things:

Aquariva was giving out free handmade ice cream scoops. It was strawberry and it was delicious. I am never ever a fruit dessert person but it was good.

I was not super impressed. It was a lot of food and food vendors. (note: the granola and pasta that I bought). Not a ton of farmers. I had a great conversation with the gal that I bought the kale and garlic scapes from. It was a super nice day out and a lot of people were browsing the booths. I am sure once we get deeper into summer and more fruits and veggies are in season the market will be bigger and better!!

Another reason I love summer is triathlon season is almost HERE! The big kick off race in Portland is Blue Lake. I have participated every year I have been a triathlete except in 2012 when I did Boise 70.3. The weather is “usually” good. The lake is nice. It is relatively flat. It is almost the only Olympic race I ever do. It is fun and I always know a ton of people racing and speculating!!

Well Blue Lake is tomorrow! I am doing the first of 2 triathlons of the season tomorrow! Seems weird.

Lucky #30?!! πŸ™‚

No real expectations or goals. Coach told us we are allowed to go fast but there was no taper as if we were really “racing.” We are supposed to practice open water swimming, transitions, and nutrition. Check.Check.Check!!

I kind of want to look back at my times from last year but I kind of don’t. I had a good solid race last year but I was only training for halfs. We aren’t doing much speed work because we are training for an Ironman. It is different! I guess we will see how it goes. Weather is supposed to be nice!

Do you shop at a farmers market?

7 Responses to “Farmers Market + Blue Lake Tri”

1. Kecia June 7, 2014 at 12:38 PM #

I hope you have a great race! We do like to shop at the Farmer’s Market, though I didn’t make it this morning 😦

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 7, 2014 at 12:47 PM #

Thanks!! I just read last years race report and I forgot that I such a fast race! Tomorrow will be interesting! πŸ™‚

• Kecia June 7, 2014 at 12:48 PM #

You are in a different place this year than last. Just remember to stay present, smile and have fun πŸ˜‰

2. Change of Pace June 7, 2014 at 4:49 PM #

Good luck tomorrow!! It’ll feel so good to get the first one out of the way! (I always feel like I’ll forget how to do everything so am relieved once I survive the first one!)
    I love Farmer’s Markets but don’t go often! Our huge one starts next weekend!

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 8, 2014 at 5:46 AM #

Good Luck at Blue Lake and have fun! I LOVE farmers markets. Actually, they tend to die down for us in the summer because it is just too darn hot out, haha. Hope your new find get more veggies/fruits soon!

4. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides June 8, 2014 at 10:04 AM #

Have a great race and enjoy it! I’m sure you will go full-on beast mode.

I find that the farmers markets around here are lackluster until about July as nothing is really in season yet. Maybe it’s the same in Portland?

5. Kara June 9, 2014 at 12:46 PM #

Can’t wait to hear how it went! Hope you had fun! I don’t have any triathlons on my schedule right now which makes me really sad. But I haven’t been swimming either soooo I should probably do that before I sign up for something, haha.