Ironman Canada Training Week #18

10 Jun

WOW!! The weeks are flying by!!

One of my favorite swim starts! I am sure you have seen it before! I love it!!

Here is how last week went down:

Sunday: 89 mile bike ride + 2 mile transition run! Finally making some head way in my nutrition! All I focused on was eating!! It worked!

Monday: Spin class. I was tired but I went anyway. It was an especially hard class for everyone. I tried to keep it in recovery mode! 10 minutes of core before class

10 mile bike commute

Tuesday: Swim 3400 yards. Warmed up + builds. 20 x 100 on 1:50. Aghhhhhhhh!! Not awful but boring. The rest time was much shorter on the last few! more builds and some kicking!

Dirty dozen core work-out + 4 mile EASY run. I definitely took it easy. I was happy I didn’t have to do anything hard! 🙂

7 mile bike commute

Wednesday: Strength work out: lots of push ups; squats; walking lunges; single leg deadlifts!

20 mile ride (includes my 6ish mile work commute) We went up to the zoo. Nice climb. A few steep parts. We did a few hill repeats at the top!

Bike selfie time!! When there is just 2 of us I can take it pretty good but trying to get 4 of us on our bikes is a different story!

Last masters swim at current gym: They are renovating the pool. Great just in time for the last of our swim training! We did a shorter work out. Only got in 2075 yards. We warmed up; did some drills and builds; We did another bracket deal. Couple fast intervals; we did some more non-free 25s; goal pace 100; some 200s with choice stroke mixed in! We finished off with a few relays! My team won both!! 🙂

Thursday: 6 mile progressive run! I was pumped about this one! My hamstrings were so sore from yesterdays strength work out I really did wonder how I was going to run!! Well I did it. We were supposed to make each mile 10-15 seconds faster than the last! I knew I needed to start off slow!! Mile 1&2; 10:54 and 10:24. Not bad but they already felt hard and I was supposed to go faster?! Dan was going with the flow. We sped up a bit more to 10:16. We turned around and Dan said lets negative split this shit!! Off we went: 9:54 for the 4th; we had some incline on the bridge to get over in mile 5 and now I was chasing him. It was really hard now. Clocked a 9:44. Still chasing him I was less than 10 minutes from being done. Just keep running. I know about when it is about 1/2 mile home so I really tried to kick it up one more notch to finish it off and sure enough I did with a 9:22! Holy cow!!

1000 meter open water swim. Easy. We got there late and after 1 loop we called it good!

7 mile bike commute

Friday: 35 mile bike ride + 2 mile transition run. Did plenty of climbing in the west hills. It was an awesome day! Solo ride because everyone else that I know that rides bikes are at work! 😦

Saturday: Rest day!!!

I am off to Whistler tomorrow to train on the course!!! I am excited but nervous!!

Have a great week!!!

16 Responses to “Ironman Canada Training Week #18”

1. De June 10, 2014 at 9:29 PM #

Have a wonderful time in Whistler! This video also just made my day 🙂

2. Change of Pace June 11, 2014 at 5:39 AM #

That video is awesome!
    I love following your training- you’re kicking serious butt!
    Have a fabulous time in whistler! I personally thought the Callaghan hills were the worst (they’re the first set by the Nordic skiing olympic venue). I don’t think they were actually harder, I just think everyone talked up the other hills so much that these surprised me!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 8:58 PM #

I actually thought the Pemberton climb wasn’t too awful. It is just where the climb is!! Your legs are so tired by mile 90! 🙂

3. Kecia June 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM #

Awesome week!! Have a great time training in Whistler!! We are going to Madison this coming weekend to ride most of the course, so I too am excited for this coming weekend 🙂 I can’t wait to hear what you think of the Whistler course…I am considering signing up for next year 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 8:53 PM #

OHHHH you are thinking about signing up for Canada!! It is tough! I actually like the Penticton course better!!

• Kecia June 16, 2014 at 8:57 PM #

I am thinking of signing up for Whistler, but probably not til 2016. I may take next year off of anything longer than a 70.3 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 9:01 PM #

Nice!! Me too! I am feeling a bit burned out. I really love the 70.3 distance. I think I need some time off but then I don’t really want to miss out on anything either! 🙂

• Kecia June 16, 2014 at 10:00 PM #

I completely understand!!

4. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides June 11, 2014 at 9:06 AM #

Nice job, especially with the progressive run!

5. erin June 11, 2014 at 7:42 PM #

Ahhhhhhhhhh! You’re going to Whistler! Take me with you! 🙂 Way to go nailing your nutrition on your long ride! And, 20×100 is one of my favorite swim workouts!

6. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 12, 2014 at 5:08 AM #

I love all your riding selfies, haha. Another great week in the books 🙂 Have so much fun and learn lots in Whistler!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 8:51 PM #

I just saw a tweet about a girl doing bike selfies and running off the road. I should probably be more careful! 🙂

7. Kristin (@SweatCourage) June 12, 2014 at 6:44 AM #

Another awesome week of training for you! How amazing is it that you can ride on your IM course before the race, I’m jealous! It looks like you have been working on single leg strength work (just like me!). I have been loving single leg deadlifts.. need to work on that hammy and glute strength. Great job with the run speed… look forward to hearing about your trip to Whistler!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 8:50 PM #

Thanks! It was awesome to see the course!! It is definitely a work in progress with the strength. I am looking forward to finishing up IM training to do more strength work!!

8. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 12, 2014 at 11:31 AM #

Holy crazy training week! You seriously are impressing me each week. Have a fun time up at Whistler. It’s smart that you are going to be getting a first hand look at the course beforehand. Also, thank you for sharing that hilarious swim start video. It makes me appreciate the nice floating start I had last weekend even more! 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 16, 2014 at 8:46 PM #

Thanks!! I think that it is great to see the course before the race! You can have just that much confidence going into the race!! 🙂