Ironman Canada Training Week #20

24 Jun

Recovery week is such a great way to recharge and recover from some hard weeks!! It has been nice. But time to get back to work! 3 more HARD weeks to be exact!!

This how it went down:

Sunday: The annual Hagg Lake open water swim. This is the one time a year we can swim in an organized race. They have a 800M, 2000M, and a 4000M. A lot of triathletes participate for practice for an upcoming tri but a lot of masters swimmers come out and participate in all of the events without a wetsuit! Usually we bike or run before or after the swim we are participating in but since we had just gotten back from Whistler we only had the swim on tap!

4000M!

You can see the 800 swimmers coming in--in the back ground!

You can see the 800 swimmers coming in–in the back ground!

I had an awesome swim! I had a 4000M PR. 1:09:18! Holla! I even won 3rd in my AG.
Now I have an idea of what I will swim in Whistler!

Monday: 1 hour spin class

10 mile bike commute

Tuesday: 5 mile run: rolling hills: usual Tuesday route but Dan joined me today!

Swim: 3200 yards: Warm up: 4 {5×100; 200 kick} with the hundreds on different intervals.

6 mile bike commute

Wednesday: Strength with Swiss ball, bosu, and TRX. Lots of squats, rows, and push-ups.

22 mile ride up to the zoo with 2 longish hill repeats.

Thursday: 3400 yard swim: warm up: pulling; drills/kicks; 300s/200s/100s negative splits

7 mile run with 5k effort as the middle 3 miles. It was hard. I did this in the middle of the day and it was getting “hot.” I wanted to give up after I was done running “fast.” I ended up finishing strong and mentally tough!

Friday: REST DAY!

18 mile bike commute to a massage and to see my favorite twins:

Saturday: 40 mile ride/3 mile run BRICK—>easy to moderate effort. Hello!

Our 6 pack dwindled to 3 strong this week!

Coach’s core work out: high planks, side planks, cobra/leg lifts on the swiss ball.

Just like that recovery week is a wrap!

Does anyone watch Jimmy Fallon? I will leave you with this:

We saw 22 Jump Street this weekend. So.Funny.Loved.IT!

18 Responses to “Ironman Canada Training Week #20”

1. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com June 24, 2014 at 11:09 AM #

So much hard work you’re doing! I can’t believe it’s only 35 days away! Eeee 🙂 LOVE that you tube video. Thank you SO much for posting it. Made my Day.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2014 at 1:20 PM #

Love Jimmy Fallon!! You and me both can’t believe we are 35 days out…now its 31!! ahhhh!!!!

2. Single-Tracked Mind June 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM #

What a great week of workouts! Congrats on 3rd in your AG! Speedy time!

3. Kristin (@SweatCourage) June 24, 2014 at 11:51 AM #

Looks like you had a very productive recovery week! I agree with you, recovery weeks are a great way to recharge and let your body have a little ‘break.’ I love your sunglasses on the bike, super cute! The photos of the fields of flowers are beautiful, what a nice place to go for a ride! Good luck this week as you get back into high gear… I can’t believe you only have 3 weeks!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2014 at 1:18 PM #

Those are Nike sunglasses. I love the color. My coach says they aren’t “aero”! I said but they look good!! 🙂 I have had them in my jersey pocket on 2 rides and they have flown out onto the street. (once in the middle of a huge intersection–I can’t believe they didn’t get run over) They have scratches on them but I still like them! 🙂

4. Kristin (@SweatCourage) June 24, 2014 at 11:52 AM #

Oh and congrats on the swim PR, speedy!

5. Kecia June 24, 2014 at 12:41 PM #

Congrats on your swim PR and placing in your age group!! I’m impressed 😉 Enjoy these last big weeks of training and know that the taper is just around the corner!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2014 at 1:10 PM #

YES!! Just trying to survive!! 🙂 Thanks! I had such a great swim! That gave me a little bit of confidence at least with one of the legs come July 27th!

6. erin June 24, 2014 at 1:13 PM #

It’s right around the corner… so excited for you! Keep up the hard work; it’ll all be worth it 🙂 Congrats on your swim! Well done, Leslie! That lake looks amazing!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2014 at 1:07 PM #

Thanks Erin!! I try to keep telling myself that the training is the hard part and the race makes it all worth it!! Trying to stay positive these last few weeks!! 🙂

7. Kristen L June 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM #

Wow, your race is coming up so quick! You are doing great training! Congrats on the 3rd place in your swim race. Good way to amp you up for your last weeks of tough training!

8. Luv What You Do June 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM #

Congrats on a strong swim! Enjoy your recovery! You totally deserve it!

9. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust June 26, 2014 at 8:29 AM #

I’ve heard that the Haag Lake OWS is a great event. I might have to consider that one for next year. Congrats on the PR! By the time you are finished with all of this training, what will be your biggest brick for bike/run distance? I’m just curious as I’m gearing up in my mind and planning for the future. 😉 I am so excited for your race. I know so many people who are doing Whistler – I am going to be glued to the tracker!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats June 26, 2014 at 12:59 PM #

YES!!! The Hagg swim is great! Especially if you are doing an IM and want to do a 4K swim before!! It is nice to have support and the lake blocked off to motorists! 🙂
      OHH good question. We are doing a triple brick next weekend. 30mile ride/3mile run x3!!! AhHHHH!!!!
      For most IM plans: you will do a long ride(with transition run)/long run one weekend and then a brick the next weekend. I think 60/6 will be the longest traditional brick we have done.
      What IM are you looking at??!!! Because I know that you are!!! 🙂

10. Change of Pace July 2, 2014 at 5:11 AM #

Wow- way to swim! Congratulations, Leslie!!
    I’m so excited for you to race Whistler 🙂
    Good luck with the last few weeks!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM #

Thanks Abby!!! One of our last crazy hard work outs tomorrow! Exciting that it is nearing the end! 🙂