Pac Crest Olympic!!

3 Jul

I started doing triathlons in 2008. My first Olympic was Pacific Crest. I never wanted to do that course again. Since then, I have done the long course twice. It always is brutally hot and it is at 4000ft elevation. Just not my cup of tea!

After last years race, I decided I would never do it again. Ha! My weekend in Sunriver did not really turn out how I thought! It rained on Friday and I didn’t get in my real ride! Dan decided it would be best not to race. He changed over his bib to the Oly race and I thought about racing for him.

I got excited watching and cheering for the long course racers. I finally decided to “race” on Sunday. I planned on taking it “easy” but not super easy as a training race.

The race is point to point so Dan took me out to the lake. I got transition set up, talked to some peeps, and I was ready to roll!

I will give a quick recap of the race:

SWIM: The only reason I could race as Dan was because the swim waves were men and women. πŸ™‚ We were off. The course is 2 loops which isn’t great. They changed that last year. You slow down going around the buoys because it is a triangle. My sighting was good except when we were going directly into the sun. I drafted a little. 1500 meters goes by so quick especially when I typically do 3000+ every time I swim.

I was going in for a high 5 from Dan!

I was going in for a high 5 from Dan!

T1: Since it is point to point we have to put our wetsuits in a bag and tie it up. That takes time but I got out of there pretty quick!

Greg got this shot right out of transition. Hello sunscreen.
sunscreen

BIKE: This course is 28 miles because it is point to point. A little longer as an oly is usually 24 miles because we ride back to Sunriver. It is funny how I remember this course as somewhat flat. When we rode it backwards on Friday I realized it wasn’t as flat as I thought. I love rollers so this is actually a perfect course for me. We have been doing so much climbing that these rollers felt easy! πŸ™‚ The ride was fun. I kept the power in check. I tried to keep the cadence high. I could have gone harder but was glad that I held back a bit! It felt really great to be out there riding in the sun!

T2: This transition is ridiculous. We have to dismount and run on the pavement and then the grass. We finally get into the actual transition and I was set up almost to the run out. Almost the worse spot that I could possibly be in. I was in and out as soon as I finally racked my bike!

Run: I didn’t want to get crazy on the run. I had not checked my time at all. I knew I was out of the water in about 27 minutes but that was the last time I had looked at my watch.

Greg snapped another good one of me at the beginning of the run:
Pc14

I practiced breathing and mental toughness. The run course is rolling hills as well. It was pretty warm too! Of course lots and lots of people passed me but I just kept moving forward with a smile! I had a great run. I saw Dan at the end and he ran me in!

It was really fun. I got Dan a 20 minute PR as well! I was very excited to FINALLY look at my watch and see a 31 minute PR over my 2008 time! It got me real excited to be racing IMC in less than a month!

Just for funsies here are the stats:
Race Distance Time Swim avg 100 T1 Bike Bike avg T2 Run Run avg

’08Pac Crest oly 3:39:16 33:30:00 2:14 2:26 1:46:43 15.74 1:53 1:14:44 12:01
’14Pac CrestOly 3:08:35 27:09:00 1:39 2:37 1:33:08 18.04 2:22 1:03:18 10:11

Just another day in the sun! It is fun to see how much I have progressed in these last 6 years! Doing this race also makes me think maybe I will just race olys next year! πŸ™‚

19 Responses to “Pac Crest Olympic!!”

1. Amie July 4, 2014 at 3:58 AM #

Great race! It’s such a great feeling to be able to race without and pressure, just relax and have a ton of fun – sounds like you accomplished that! It’s also fun to see the progress made over a prior time from the same race – it’s clear you’ve been putting in the work!!

P.s. I think olys are the BEsT distance – such a fun distance!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 4, 2014 at 6:24 PM #

I love racing without the pressure. I keep going back and forth with my goals for Canada. I really just want to have a good race and not worry about my times BUT I really want to good too! It is hard!! We will see!! πŸ™‚

2. Change of Pace July 4, 2014 at 7:43 AM #

Congratulations, Leslie!! Are you telling me you did this well not even going to town to race?! That’s amazing!! And so cool to see your improvement over the years.
    Also, it looks and sounds like you’re more than ready for the hills in Canada!
    I love all the happy photos πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 4, 2014 at 6:22 PM #

NO!!! I was just going to hang out. πŸ™‚ I don’t even like racing Pac Crest. I am glad that I did it though. It was fun!!

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com July 4, 2014 at 9:45 AM #

Seriously, you are such a beast. A last minute race and you nailed it! Love the sunscreen shot, haha. Looks like a pretty sweet medal πŸ™‚ Happy 4th of July!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 4, 2014 at 6:21 PM #

Ha!! The medal is gigantic!!! I can’t believe Dan didn’t tell me I had that much sunscreen dripping off my face!!! πŸ™‚

4. Kecia July 4, 2014 at 10:29 AM #

Awesome race Leslie!! I love that you got Dan a PR πŸ˜‰ Happy 4th of July!!

5. Luv What You Do July 6, 2014 at 2:31 PM #

Congrats! You rocked that race and looked great doing it! Way to go on the PR!

6. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 6, 2014 at 5:08 PM #

I am so bummed I didn’t get a chance to see you! I’m glad that you had a great experience this year. The weather was definitely a lot better than previous years. What did you think about the two loop swim? Will you be coming back to Central Oregon any time soon?

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM #

I think my time was slower because of the 2 loops. It just takes too much time to get around them and get your pace going again! You should also think about Blue Lake next year (depending on what IM you end up doing!! ) Not sure when I will be back in Bend but we should get together when you are here for the marathon!

7. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides July 7, 2014 at 11:17 AM #

Awesome job, lady!

8. bayrunnerjamie July 8, 2014 at 2:52 PM #

Wow great job!! I’ve never done a triathlon, so it was fun reading your play-by-play of the race! So many logistics! Congrats on a huge PR!! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 10, 2014 at 9:08 AM #

thanks Jamie! They are so much more fun than just a running race. But very logistical. I really try and be as simplistic as I can. Some people go all out and get crazy.

9. erin July 16, 2014 at 4:25 AM #

Great race, Leslie! Congrats! So fun to see your progress! Bring on IM Canada!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Weeks #21 & #22 | Triathlete Treats - July 7, 2014

[…] off really well with the unexpected Olympic triathlon. This week went better except for the unexpected rest day on Tuesday. I woke up late Monday night […]