Triple Brick Madness

4 Jul

Happy 4th of July! I worked out for 8 hours today! Who does that?! WE had a triple brick on the schedule. We were heading to Hagg lake. (an hour from Portland) We were to do 3 loop ride + 3 mile run. We were to do it 3 times! Everyone was pretty nervous for this. We have done a lot of hard shit already. I felt like this was going to be the least of our worries!

Here is WHY I LIKE the idea of a triple brick: I will have a half hour of back relief between cycling sections! That is huge for me! I also liked the idea of testing out nutrition right before the run and seeing how my GI does.

Here is WHY I DON’T LIKE the idea of a triple brick: It is not realistic. I will get no relief for my back in the actual race. I would have rather just done a 90 mile ride/9 mile run brick. I think that it would have been harder, more of a sufferfest, and more of a preparation for the race.

That being said I trust Jeremy and he knows what he is doing. πŸ™‚

How do you pack for a triple brick: Figure out how many calories you need to take in and what you have decided to eat/drink on race day. Practice it!! I am still fiddling around with my nutrition.

I need to eat 300 cals per hour on the bike. (on race day I usually take in a Gu every 4 miles. 1/4 at each aid station) For training purposes I was just taking in 1 Gu per run session!

This is what it looked like last night!!
2 bottles + 2 bars/uncrustables for the bike and 1 bottle + 1 Gu for the run! It is so disgusting but I am pleased to say it worked well today. This will most likely be what I take in on race day!

On to the actually work out! It was actually really fun. I finally feel like I have gotten a little bit of my mojo back. Hagg is a great place to do all things triathlon. The lake is awesome. The loop around is just over 10 miles. You can run on the road or on trails! But it is hard. It is all rolling hills! Good and bad. I think that the 90 miles of hills we did today is one of the best work outs we could have done. It was not easy but we all did it with smiles! Mostly!

This is how it looks for 1 brick of the ride:
hagg1

I wanted to take the first brick a little conservatively. It was going to be a long day. It was going to get hot too. I felt good. I was going to be positive. I was going to work on mental toughness. I was going to embrace the sufferfest.

I saw some deer. I sang Madness by Muse. I barely know the chorus but I just kept singing it over and over! I tried to not let the wind or heat or my back get me down. What got me down on the last 3 loops was the chipseal! WTF?!! Shitty road. There are a few smooth sections and they feel like you are riding on glass. I think there are 3 of them and they are very short. (We now know the loop like the back of our hand!)

The cycling was good. I really tried to keep my core engaged, my hips quiet, and my shoulders down. I think I did a relatively good job at pacing it. Just more miles banked!!

The running was good. I definitely ran faster than I plan to on race day but I thought what the heck!

We got back and sat in the lake. I had been dreaming about it once we finished the 2nd brick.
This was before Kat got back but she was late to the party this morning but we cheered her in at the end!

Now there wouldn’t be a trip to the burbs without a trip to Sonic. Hello cherry limade! Delicious and it was happy hour!

Who has done a triple brick? Why do you like it or not like it?
Any fun 4th of July plans?

21 Responses to “Triple Brick Madness”

1. Erica Heagy July 4, 2014 at 7:59 PM #

Awesome job today Rockstar! More miles in the bank.

2. MoM July 4, 2014 at 8:41 PM #

You are amazing!

3. Kecia July 5, 2014 at 6:23 AM #

AWESOME work lady!! The triple brick I have had is the 1 hr (bike) and 20 min (run) where each cycle is faster and harder than the previous one. I love the triple brick to see just how far I can push myself, but it doesn’t accurately simulate race day. I wish we had a route that was this hilly around here…it would be an awesome test of endurance (both physical and mental)!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 5, 2014 at 10:07 AM #

I like your timing better. It can be more of a week day work out instead of a weekend one! I remembered that you did one but couldn’t remember the distances! That is too bad you don’t have hills around you!

• Kecia July 6, 2014 at 12:27 PM #

We have a few hills, but not many and they aren’t very big 😒

4. erin July 5, 2014 at 7:08 AM #

Awesome triple bricking! I’ve never done one, and don’t think coach will put one of my schedule. He just likes to make me suffer… I’m already scared for tomorrow’s brick. It’s INTENSE. Happy Fourth, Leslie! Perfect way to spend the day πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 5, 2014 at 10:04 AM #

It is interesting to say the least!!! I am sure you are rocking your brick right now!!! Hope you had an awesome 4th!!

5. Kristina July 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM #

Great job! I’ve only done bike-run-bike – I know that a lot people do double bricks as a part of their training, but that wasn’t on my schedule for this past IM training block. Maybe the next one (if there is a next one…).
    Hope you got lots of rest and relaxation in afterwards!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 6, 2014 at 8:37 PM #

Thanks!! I had never done anything more than just a bike/run or a swim/bike and this is my 4th IM!! πŸ™‚
      Hope you had a great 4th!

6. Luv What You Do July 6, 2014 at 2:33 PM #

Oh my gosh! That is an amazing day of training! I have never done a triple BRICK or even a double BRICK for that matter : ) I’ve never tried the Sonic limeaide but I’ll have to check it out. Hope you had a super fun weekend!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM #

I had never done a double or triple brick either!! It was kind of fun and the time went by super fast! A cherry limade is best after a hard work out!! πŸ™‚ You look like you had a super fun weekend!!

7. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM #

I’ve never really heard of or thought about doing a bike to run to bike to run workout. That looks like it would be really tough and requires a lot of planning (you were well prepared, obviously). You are more than ready for your Ironman. It’s getting so close. Do you reward yourself with a trip to sonic after every hard week of training? Haha, love it.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 6, 2014 at 8:27 PM #

Yes! It is super unrealistic. But you are out there for a long time and the race is a long time! I heard today that it is a Dave Scott work-out and after reading Iron War I totally understand!! πŸ™‚
      I only go to Sonic if I am out in the burbs or if I am driving back from somewhere and it is on the way! πŸ™‚

8. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides July 7, 2014 at 11:13 AM #

Nice job! I love the Snickers!

9. Change of Pace July 7, 2014 at 3:25 PM #

Congrats on another amazing workout in the books!! 90 miles of riding is no joke, and add in 9 miles of running and that’s killer!
    I’ve done two triple bricks. I personally like them a lot better than a long bike than run. I think it’s better on my knees for the run, too. Plus, I did them both alone, so it was SO nice to break up the long day!
    Can’t believe the race is SO close!! You ARE READY!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 10, 2014 at 9:16 AM #

I love being able to break up the bike and run like that!! Did you know that was a Dave Scott work out? Have you read Iron War?
      Getting excited and nervous all at the same time!!

• Change of Pace July 10, 2014 at 12:28 PM #

No- I need to read it!!
        I’m super excited for you πŸ™‚

10. Kristin (@SweatCourage) July 9, 2014 at 5:56 PM #

Wow that triple brick sounds crazy! I know I’m a few days late with this, but awesome work out there! It looks like you were in the perfect location and you had nice company…. I really need training buddies! I’ve done my training all alone for the most part. Never tried the uncrustables on the bike…what a great idea. I have GI issues with peanut butter, but I wonder if I could handle those. Thanks for the idea:)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 10, 2014 at 9:05 AM #

It was totally crazy but it was actually really fun and the 8 hours went by FAST!! The uncrustables are fantastic…because all it is is white flour and sugar. I have used them for my last 2 IMs and they worked great. Try them and see what you think! πŸ™‚

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Weeks #21 & #22 | Triathlete Treats - July 7, 2014

[…] of biking but I bike commuted 4 days and that does not really make up for it but life will go on. The triple brick couldn’t have gone any better. I felt good. I nailed nutrition. I paced pretty […]