T Minus 17 Days!

10 Jul

Ironman Canada is officially 17 days away!
Here are how things are looking:

1. The athlete guide came about a week ago. I pretty much read the 2013 guide cover to cover when we were driving back from Whistler the first go around. I have flipped through the 2014 edition and it looks about the same.

2. Bib numbers came out on Tuesday. I got the text that they were out while I was still at work. I knew that Laura was 633. She is in the age group above me so I knew I would be in the early 500s. I thought about what number I really wanted. (Who does that??!!) I wanted a 47 in it or a 74 would have worked too.
544
So close but so far away!

3. I have had a couple of readers ask WHY I am doing a 30 day off dessert. I did it last year before my A race. I made a huge deal of it. It was miserable but I survived and I still remember that chocolate chip cookie I got after the race!!

We had been eating a lot of ice cream lately. When Dan got home from Sunriver the conversation went like this:
Me: Are we having dessert tonight?
Dan: I think we should give up dessert and alcohol until the race.
Me: Sure! Lets do it! Why?
Dan: I can’t believe you aren’t questioning this!!
Me: I always feel better when I don’t eat dessert!

It has been easier this time around. The hardest part is when I am home alone because there is still about 6 bites of ice cream left + 1/2 a container of dark chocolate pb cups in the freezer! I feel better and I have been sleeping better. The best time to recover is when you are sleeping so I am taking full advantage of the “better” sleep I am getting!!

Our fake “dessert” is a rice cake with nut butter. We have only done this a couple of times but it is almost as good as ice cream. HA!!

peanut butter and Nutella

peanut butter and Nutella

4. It is no secret that I have struggled with the mental aspect of my training this year. I watched a webinar about mental skills the day before I left for Sunriver. The speaker is a big mental skills coach. Carrie Cheadle. Maybe you have heard of her. Anyways I bought her book and I already feel better about my training and race.
She makes you do all of these work-sheets.
It is totally helping. I have written out a goal plan. I’ve got inspirational quotes, books, movies to get motivation from. I still have some chapters to read and some worksheets to do but I still have 17 days! πŸ™‚

Where was this book 3 months ago?

If you are struggling at all I totally recommend this book!! Buy it now….don’t wait!

5. We have a long bike on Saturday and long run & swim on Sunday. Do I dare say it? It will be taper time! I.Can.Not.Wait!

Do you have any weird quirks that get you ready for a race? OR Have you given anything up while training for a race?

25 Responses to “T Minus 17 Days!”

1. Jonathan94002 July 10, 2014 at 10:44 PM #

You are so going to kill it! I get very careful about not changing anything near an A race. And, I constantly look back at my training history for confidence and inspiration. And, you have that in droves!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 1:09 PM #

Thanks Jonathan!!! I keep thinking about all of the training days (especially miserable ones) that I can think of while I am knee deep in the race!! πŸ™‚

2. Sherrie July 11, 2014 at 1:19 AM #

I care about you. I will eat your peanut butter cups! πŸ™‚

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com July 11, 2014 at 4:19 AM #

^^Haha. I think no dessert leading up to a big race is a great idea. That book seems interesting. I’ve always been skeptical of motivational books, but I’ll take your word for it on this one, hanks for sharing πŸ™‚

4. Lee@tri*inspired*life July 11, 2014 at 5:49 AM #

You wrote the word that is music to my ears…taper time. I have a full weekend of training as you do and then TAPER ( I think I hear angels singing in the background every time I think of that word!!). Kick butt this weekend!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM #

Yes!!! It has gotten here!! Taper time!! Now it is time for all the hard work to absorb!! Enjoy your rest before the storm!! πŸ™‚

5. Kecia July 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM #

I also have “On Top of your Game” and have really enjoyed the mental training πŸ™‚ Carrie does a great job of forcing me to think through everything with all of the worksheets πŸ˜‰

6. Change of Pace July 11, 2014 at 6:38 AM #

CANNOT believe it’s only 17 days away!!! Is this Dan’s first IM? Glad your mental game is getting better!!
    The only thing I really like to do is go over my big training days to remember that I put in work for it!
    Enjoy your last big weekend…and then taper!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 1:05 PM #

I can’t believe it either!! πŸ™‚ Yes this is Dan’s first and he is getting nervous!
      Taper has finally begun. Now to relax and let all that hard work absorb!! πŸ™‚

7. Joann Symonette July 11, 2014 at 8:47 AM #

Holy crap!!! 17days!!!!!!! Can’t believe its already that soon!!! Power to you for giving up desserts before race day!! It will be worth it. All that sugar for sure does not help with recovery. Glad you are feeling way better about training too!!!! So pumped for you!! I’m bummed I can’t make it to cheer as I’ll be visiting family in TX that weekend but I will for sure be cheering on you and tracking you!!! Soo close to go time!!! You will rock it! πŸ˜€ excited for you!!! Wooo!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM #

Thanks Joann! I can’t believe we are 2 weeks out! So excited but getting a little nervous. Especially with all of this heat!!!

8. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides July 11, 2014 at 9:13 AM #

I need to get that book. ASAP. I struggle a lot with the mental part.

I can’t wait for you to kick the heck out of this IM.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 1:03 PM #

I have only read 5 chapters and done 4 or 5 worksheets. It has helped a ton!! Check it out definitely!!

9. Erica Heagy July 12, 2014 at 4:48 AM #

Great post Les!!! I love all this self improvement goodness. I should get this book, I love doing worksheets and self reflection. We are going have such great races, this course was made for our strengths. We got this!

10. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 13, 2014 at 4:12 PM #

Two weeks away! Pretty soon you will be able to look at the 10-day forecast (I was obsessed with this before my race). I know you can’t control the weather, but at least you can mentally prepare. I am so excited for you, Leslie! And, thanks for explaining the whole dessert thing. I have a massive sweet tooth and really enjoy drinking wine – two things I could probably cut out or limit a little better. I think when I start training for an IM I will do exactly that. I have a hard time eating enough calories everyday, so that’s how I justify it. Haha.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM #

I know! As soon as the 10 day forecast comes out I will be stalking it!! πŸ™‚
      I just have a hard time eating treats in moderation. So it is easier to just cut it out!! .

11. erin July 14, 2014 at 5:14 AM #

I can’t believe IM Canada is just around the corner! Woooo! Beyond excited for you πŸ™‚ We also cut out dessert about a month prior to a big race… makes a huge difference!

12. Lisa @ Lisa Runs for Cupcakes July 14, 2014 at 7:44 PM #

I can’t believe your race is so soon! You are going to ROCK it!! I think I need to go pick up that book now. Mental blocks are one of the more challenging aspects of racing!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 15, 2014 at 4:31 PM #

I can’t believe it either!! πŸ™‚ You should buy it! It has helped a ton…I think that the race will go much better because of it!!

13. Kristin (@SweatCourage) July 16, 2014 at 6:26 PM #

Eeee you are so close now!!! You are going to crush it girl! You make me want to give up dessert now, lol… But to be honest, I’ve decided to give up alcohol for the next 30 days before IMMT . I barely drink (1-2 glasses of wine a week) but I don’t want to risk it… Unneeded sugar and crap that makes me not sleep as well:)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:56 PM #

I know! I can’t believe we are so close and you are only 2 weeks behind me!! πŸ™‚
      Awesome to give up alcohol!! You don’t drink it that often you probably won’t even notice!! πŸ™‚

14. Luv What You Do July 18, 2014 at 9:59 AM #

Wow, I can’t believe it’s coming up so quickly!!!