Mt St. Helens Ride

13 Jul

We had a 90 mile ride on the schedule today. BUT the Portland Tri Club was doing a supported 82 miler up to Mt St Helens visitor center yesterday. We opted to do that which was a great idea.

Mount St. Helens is most notorious for its catastrophic eruption on May 18, 1980, the deadliest and most economically destructive volcanic event in the history of the United States. It is 50 miles northeast of Portland and 90 miles south of Seattle. You can totally see her on a clear day in Portland. You know how they say after a natural disaster there are a ton of babies born 9 months later?! Well Dan was born 9 months after Mt St Helens blew. Funny huh?!

Anyways back to the ride! We started in Toutle. 41 miles to the top.
sthelens
The tri club had an aid station at mile 27/56. (same spot) Everyone was to bring a snack. I had roasted potatoes and made rice cakes for Dan and I. There was a huge spread of chips, watermelon, cookies, rice cakes. They had lots of water and Gatorade. It was so awesome to have them there.

Before the ride. When we were still happy.

There was a good 30 of us. Some going all the way to the top and some just going to the aid station. I wanted to start out a bit conservatively. It was already warm and getting warmer by the minute. I rode a little with Lon who is an older guy.

Lon: I have never been on a ride like this. Is it customary to ask if I should pull a little bit?
Me: I said no I can do the work.
Lon: I need all the suction I can get. πŸ™‚

We didn’t ride too long together as I pulled ahead when we got further up to the steeper areas. We did meet up at the aid station and he said he got a couple of good pics of me.

We had lots of great views of Mt. St. Helens. Such a pretty area. We had lots of climbing. About 6400 ft. Which is great. It was a really hard ride. The 80-90 degree temps were brutal but good heat training if the race ends up being hot.

I kept up with my nutrition. I kept hydrated the best I could. I was glad I took my camelback because if I hadn’t I probably would have regretted it.

We got to the top and it was gorgeous. It was clear except for that one baby cloud that was in front of it. I felt really strong and was happy to be at the top. We had gotten through 2 of the 3 climbs so with just one more to go we hit the road!

I paced myself well and still had energy to climb that last climb. We got back to the aid station and it was hot. We fueled up and got water. The cold coke and watermelon were delightful. We put ice in our bottles and that lasted maybe 5 minutes.

I was happy to be done. All and all great ride. I didn’t want to do a transition run especially because nobody else was doing one but I did get out there for 1.25 miles. It was good. Hot and brutal but at least I did it!

Last ride before the BIG DAY!!!

21 Responses to “Mt St. Helens Ride”

1. MoM July 13, 2014 at 3:02 PM #

Two weeks and counting! YOU are amazing!

2. Kecia July 13, 2014 at 3:19 PM #

Looks like a really fun ride!! You seem to be smiling in all of the photos, so it wasn’t just at the beginning when you were “still happy.” πŸ™‚ Congrats and taper hard πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 13, 2014 at 3:23 PM #

It was really fun! I was pretty happy the entire ride! Which was much different than a lot of rides this year! So excited to taper! I can’t believe it is here!!! πŸ™‚

• Kecia July 13, 2014 at 3:25 PM #

Enjoy the taper!! Crazy how quickly time flies!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 14, 2014 at 8:00 PM #

Thanks Kecia!! So FAST!!

3. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust July 13, 2014 at 4:16 PM #

That seems like the perfect ride to prepare you for Canada – hot and hilly! I would love to ride up to Mt. St. Helens someday. I have never been. Enjoy your taper… you’ve worked SO HARD and deserve it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 14, 2014 at 7:57 PM #

I had never been there either. I was happy to get there by bike too!! It is awesome! You would love it!!

4. erin July 14, 2014 at 5:07 AM #

Gorgeous ride… way to rock it up those BIG climbs! You are ready for Canada! Enjoy the taper… can’t wait to cheer ya on in a couple weeks πŸ™‚

5. Lee@tri*inspired*life July 14, 2014 at 7:05 AM #

Looks like a very neat ride! Great job on the climbing! I too had a hot day to contend with on my last long ride/brick. Ever since I knocked out my last long swim yesterday, I have been enjoying the words of “it is taper time”!! It is finally here after all the long hours and hard work we have put in!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM #

I can’t believe that our races are finally here!! It is time to rest and let our hard work soak in!! Enjoy it!!!!

6. Single-Tracked Mind July 14, 2014 at 11:15 AM #

Woohoo! Two weeks! So excited to hear how this race goes. We have a friend racing it as well.

This looks like an epic ride!!! Do you have major problems with sunburn on rides this long/hot? So much elevation, but that view of Mt. St. Helens looks totally worth it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 14, 2014 at 7:55 PM #

It was really fun!! I always apply sunscreen lotion in the morning and then apply a sunscreen spray in the middle of the ride. I forgotten my mini sunscreen(left it in the car…doh) but re-applied some at the aid station the 2nd time around. I did fine. I have a pretty good base though. πŸ™‚

7. Kristin (@SweatCourage) July 16, 2014 at 6:22 PM #

Looks like an awesome ride! I would just love to do a ride with those views… How lucky are you to be able to do that! So nice you have a group to ride with, I always tell you this, but I’m definitely jealous!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:57 PM #

It is great to have training partners but I like to train on my own more for the mental toughness portion of training!! πŸ™‚

8. Change of Pace July 16, 2014 at 7:18 PM #

Congrats on your last big ride- you’re getting so close!
    You will crush those hills at IMCA!

9. Luv What You Do July 18, 2014 at 10:00 AM #

That looks like SO MUCH fun! We don’t have any beautiful mountains here in the great plains!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Ironman Canada Training Week #23 | Triathlete Treats - July 17, 2014

[…] Last long ride! 83 mile Mt. St Helens ride + 1.25 transition […]

2. Ironman Canada Training: TAPER | Triathlete Treats - July 23, 2014

[…] faster than we will be on race day. Just a little uncomfortable. I was a little nervous after the Mt. St. Helens ride but it went really well. Dan and I left together. It was supposed to be hot. It was humid and […]