A “flat” lesson!

16 Jul

Kat, Anne, and I set out for our weekly Wednesday morning ride up to the zoo this week. We had a double loop planned. All was going well until…

POP(not a pop–blow out pop but a pop I better slow down pop)….hhhhisssss…hiissssss…F**k! That is me! My brand spankin’ new tire. FLAT! We pulled over and I was nervous for a few reasons. I practiced with my new CO2 cartridge but awhile back. Plus this was a new tire which meant it would probably be super tight. (I didn’t change it the other day, the bike shop did and charged me labor which really pisses me off because I could have changed it for free but that’s another story)

I get the tube out. Check!

Moral support!!

Moral support!!

I find the culprit, what is a huge gash! (another tire down the drain). Check!
Get the tube in. Check!

I try screwing the cartridge in. Couldn’t. Kat tried and said I was trying to screw it in the wrong way. (which I think I remember doing when I practiced) Check!
Put my Picky Bar Sweatband around the cartridge so I wouldn’t freeze off my hand that I needed for work later in the morning! Check!

Got the air in. Thought there was enough. Took valve off but too early! Check!

We were on our way! It was definitely not full enough but it got me back to our meeting spot!

I am just glad that I got it today and not on race day!! I am actually glad that I got to practice. I might practice one more time when I get a new tire!

Just another reminder to always know how to change a flat and how to use a CO2 cartridge!

Any good stories when getting a flat or while fixing a flat?!

14 Responses to “A “flat” lesson!”

1. Kristin (@SweatCourage) July 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM #

I really need to practice this… I am the worst at depending in others to help with flats. I told my husband we need to practice multiple times before IMMT, makes me nervous not knowing the process well enough. Good for you for fixing that mess!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:58 PM #

It is just practice but its hard too because I will practice and then I won’t have a flat forever….I guess that is a good thing! 🙂

2. Kristen L July 16, 2014 at 10:21 PM #

Ryan was practicing his flat replacing before our last race. The cartridges are so quick, but seems tough to tell when it’s full. Glad it ended up getting you back to the meeting spot ok at least.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:54 PM #

Oh nice!! It is good to practice! I don’t mind changing it–its the co2 I don’t like to use!! 🙂

3. katielookingforward July 17, 2014 at 7:16 AM #

I got a flat two weeks ago while on a group ride. Thankfully the leader stuck back with me and oversaw me fixing the flat. I knew how to do everything except for the carbon. I definitely need more work with that. I did lose a small spring while changing, thankfully the local bike shop gave me a new one for free since I was installing it myself and stocking up on new tubes.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:53 PM #

Practicing definitely helps! I had a lot of practice my first couple of years doing triathlons. But it is hard (to remember) when you don’t do it for a long time!!

4. Kecia July 17, 2014 at 3:26 PM #

I’m glad you got it fixed and got some experience in changing the tire without it being race day 😉 My worst flat experience was riding RAGBRAI with my husband and he got a staple in his tire, but didn’t notice it before flatting a second tube. Thankfully we found it before flatting a 3rd and the last tube that we had with us.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:49 PM #

That’s the worst!!! Whatever I hit got out before I saw it. It must have been some sort of nail…huge! I still can’t believe it!

5. De July 17, 2014 at 6:05 PM #

I have become somewhat of a flat tire expert (4? this season already) and about a million last year with one ride having a glorious three in a row (only had two spares on me, had to call in a ride). I get lots of practice changing my seasonal commuter tires as well 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats July 18, 2014 at 3:48 PM #

OH man! Do you need new tires? At least you can say you are a pro!! 🙂

• De July 20, 2014 at 7:12 PM #

I did replace the rear one which has made things a lot better, I just have the worst luck in one area of the city and we have a lot of gravel on our roads here from winter which can sometimes be tricky. But I did become a pro 🙂

6. Single-Tracked Mind July 18, 2014 at 9:57 AM #

Nice work fixing it! I have no idea how to fix a flat…I should probably learn that!