Training as of Late!

18 Sep

countdown
I realized the other day that I have not really talked about my training for the New York City Marathon. About a month before Ironman I was thinking how I can not believe that I have to train for a marathon when I am done with the Ironman. After some recovering and easy runs I started “training” for the marathon. We decided that we would take the training conservative because I had beaten up my body enough with the Ironman. I had enough endurance for days. I would do 3 runs a week. Plus some biking and little swimming. I would work on tempo or hill repeats, longer “base” runs with speed built-in, and a long run.

Let me step away from the marathon and tell you about our bike ride around Crater Lake. A bunch of months ago we found out that Crater Lake would have 2 days of 24 miles of NO-CAR roads.
crater lake

AWESOME!! I have been wanting to ride the rim for a long time. The rim is 33 miles but it is not for the faint at heart. The elevation is about 6000ft and we climb 3000ft. Here is what the cycling brochure says:
CL

We plan to take it super easy. Take lots of stops and enjoy the scenery. Take lots of snacks. Have fun. Take lots of pictures! Next weekend is the big adventure! I am a little nervous but we keep saying this is for fun and we are going to take it easy! πŸ™‚

We have been on a couple of rides. I have been doing mostly inside stuff. Erica, Stephanie, and I took advantage of one of our last nice weekends of dry weather!

I swam a couple of times but nothing serious on that front. I usually like to take a long hiatus away from swimming after the big race. I guess to let my shoulders have a break for a while. Once I am done with the big ride I think I will go back to the pool more. When I went the other day I thought I might die so maybe it is time to go back at least once a week.

Back to the marathon. My running has been good. I am very excited. I am going into my last block of “big” training before I go into taper. I am trying to keep the momentum alive!! I am really enjoying my runs these days as well. It helps that I am not training hard for 3 sports. I am not tired all the time nor hungry. What a good feeling!

44 day countdown to having dessert again NYC Marathon.

How is your training?!

12 Responses to “Training as of Late!”

1. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life September 19, 2014 at 6:30 AM #

Honestly, I could not imagine training for a marathon after IM. I have read about several of you that are doing just that this season, so kudos to you!

This was my favorite part of your post…talking about the swim…”When I went the other day I thought I might die so maybe it is time to go back at least once a week.” I COULD HAVE WRITTEN THE SAME THING!! I swam for the first time since IMLP this past Monday and that sentence is the perfect description for me too!!!

It is so awesome how they are closing that road to traffic for two weekends. What a very cool idea and beautiful views!! Sounds like a challenging route, but you have the right approach to it! ENJOY!!!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 19, 2014 at 4:22 PM #

I thought it was going to be awful but it isn’t that bad! It is nice to just focus on running! πŸ™‚
      This maybe the longer period of time that I haven’t swam. I guess I now know why!
      I think that the views are definitely going to make up for the hard ride!!

2. Kecia September 19, 2014 at 12:19 PM #

KUDOS to you for training for a marathon after finishing Ironman not that long ago!! I love the smiles on the bike ride πŸ™‚ I LOVE that they’ve closed the roads for you to ride vehicle free!! ENJOY!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 19, 2014 at 4:21 PM #

Super crazy!! But I have been waiting 5 years to race NYC!! I had to suck it up!! πŸ™‚
      Can’t wait to ride vehicle free..it is going to be awesome!

3. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust September 19, 2014 at 4:02 PM #

I would LOVE to do that Crater Lake rim ride with no cars! I wish I had known about this earlier. I am definitely going to have to add this to my list for next year. I feel the same way about marathon training, now that the tri season is over. It is nice to focus on one sport and not feel like a bottomless pit everyday. πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 19, 2014 at 4:23 PM #

Oh man and you are so close to Crater Lake too!! I think they do the no cars every year! Maybe because it gets to be slow at the end of September?!

4. Luv What You Do September 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM #

So jealous that you are doing New York! Looks like fun training with your friends!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM #

I am so excited for New York. I can’t believe I have been waiting to do this race for 5 years!!! Can’t wait!

5. erin September 22, 2014 at 6:11 AM #

That bike ride sounds amazing! Wish I lived closer so I could join you! Do some running for me… still have a 2-3 weeks before I start again after IMWI πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 24, 2014 at 9:00 PM #

I am super excited! Wish you lived closer too!! No need to hurry back to running!! πŸ™‚

6. Change of Pace September 22, 2014 at 7:19 PM #

I bet it was mentally tough to know you had to train for a marathon after the Ironman. But, it sounds like you’re doing it right with three days and some cross-training!
    Ooooh- that biking sounds amazing!! Do they close it down strictly for cyclists?!
    Last year we were lucky enough to ride on a hilly, mountain road that was still closed to vehicles (caribou habitat). It was INCREDIBLE! Can’t wait to read all about your ride!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 24, 2014 at 9:05 PM #

Yes! The entire rim of Crater Lake is 33 miles and they are shutting down the east rim which is 24 miles to just cyclists! I think that we are doing the entire rim (so we will be with cars for 9 miles)! Should be interesting! πŸ™‚