Training This Week!

25 Sep

Well another long run in the books this morning. I wanted to tell you a few things before I get into the run. I typically take Thursday as my rest day and my long run on Friday. (Because of the sufferfest Crater Lake ride on Saturday I decided to run long today and take tomorrow as my rest day. I wasn’t sure if that was a good idea or not. I was very nervous for multiple reasons!

Nervous:
Obviously because I didn’t have a good long run last week!
I had a strength work out yesterday morning. I was happy that we only did a few low body exercises. It was mostly upper body.
I did a longer shake out run then I wanted to with Becky and Chloe yesterday! (more on that in a minute)

Excited:
To try again
I had just gotten a new Oiselle tank that I wanted to wear.
I had just gotten a shipment from Gu with root beer and caramel macchiato. I wanted to try them out.

Here was my instructions:

I do not know what my corral is but I will likely be in the 2nd or 3rd corral(there is only 4). I was planning on leaving at about 10 but I was up early on a whim and did not want to sit around all morning. I opted at leaving right about 9. It was cloudy and cool. I was positive and confident.

I had decided on 2 x 9 mile loops. So I could stop at home to do a water bottle change and grab more Gu. I changed up the direction on the 2nd loop. I wanted to target 10:30-10:40 pace on the first loop. Target 10:20-10:30 pace on the 2nd loop. I also wanted to negative split. I have been working on negative splitting my long runs. I really want to make a solid effort at having a faster second half than the first half of the race! Hello…what a concept! Everyone keeps saying practice on the bridges. I am sure that the bridges here in P-Town are not like the bridges in NYC but I can still practice. I was going over 2 bridges with a good incline. (2x)

My first loop went really well. I really tried to hold the reins on my pace. Patience. Patience. Patience. I felt amazing at mile 7 and if you recall from last week I wanted to quit. BAD!! Miles 8 and 9 were a little faster than I wanted it to be but I thought what the hell! I did my water bottle change and thought here we go.

The sun showed its face just as I was starting. Miles 10 and 11 were a little slower than I would have liked. I am not sure why. I felt almost like I had low blood sugar. It was really weird I thought I would keep going for a bit and see what happens. I got back over to the eastside and really forgot about it. It was probably the headwind that I was now facing. Then promptly had a much faster split so maybe it was just my watch. (I did feel like it was faster and wanted to not speed up until I got back to the westside (a little over 15 miles).

I sped up a little more after crossing the 4th bridge. I can’t say that I was still feeling amazing but decent. It was warm with the sun out. I finished really strong and happy to report that I averaged 10:24s with a 75(ish) second negative split.

The rest of my training was good this week too. I think that last weeks 16 miler was just a fluke. I do think that my dinner was part of it. I always eat pizza(homemade) before a long run and last week I had pasta. #fail

I met up with Becky and Chloe from the Oiselle Flock on Wednesday night. We did a 6 mile easy run. Chloe is also doing NYC marathon and Becky did it last year. We got a bunch of tips and had a fun run. I do almost all of my running on my own with the exception of Dan joining me once in a while. It was nice to meet up with the girls. Plus Chloe and I are similar pace and are going to do our 20 mile run together next weekend! #holla
flockmeetup

I also have to admit that I cheated. I got a well deserved Ruby Jewel ice cream sandwich. It was delicious and well worth the cheat!

Anyone else do their long run during the week?!

14 Responses to “Training This Week!”

1. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides September 26, 2014 at 4:05 AM #

Great job on your long run! I love how you paced yourself and tried to be consistent. I have found sometimes that my watch needs to “catch up” for whatever reason. Ugh.

New clothes and gear/Gu always amp me up for a run. Now, I’m looking at that tank. Thanks …

2. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life September 26, 2014 at 6:41 AM #

Excited that you had a great run following a tough one last week. Very cool that you paired up with some folks and that you will be able to do your next long run with a buddy with the same race planned. That ice cream sandwich looks amazing!! Good cheat!

During IM training, I always did my long runs during the week…after work. It was hard, but really the best way to fit it into my week. It is funny how we can seem to get stuff in and accomplished in whatever way we need to!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 30, 2014 at 9:28 PM #

I have done long runs during the week after work training for an Ironman in the past. It actually works out well because you are tried from work and you are way more tired once you start the run on the race!!

3. katielookingforward September 26, 2014 at 6:42 AM #

I’ve only tried a week day long run a couple times, but I prefer saturday long runs. I make sure to drink enough water on Friday, eat a good dinner, go to bed early, wake up saturday, run, and then I’ve got the rest of the weekend to play. Of course as I work towards bigger triathlon goals the long workouts are going to get longer and take up more of the weekend.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 30, 2014 at 9:26 PM #

I like your planning! 🙂
      Yes the longer the triathlon the more time training takes on the weekend!! 😦

4. Kecia September 26, 2014 at 5:02 PM #

That ice cream sandwich looks AMAZING!! I wish I could eat real ice cream 😉

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats September 30, 2014 at 9:23 PM #

I have you tried Coconut Bliss. (particularly the chocolate/PB..amazing)

• Kecia October 1, 2014 at 4:10 AM #

I’ll look for it. Thanks for the hint 😃

5. erin September 27, 2014 at 6:48 AM #

You totally earned that ice cream sandwich! YUM. Great long run and hooray for a running buddy for 20!

6. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust September 28, 2014 at 4:40 PM #

Glad your long run went so well! It sounds like you are already meeting and running with some fun people through Oiselle. During the summer I like to do my long rides and runs during the week to leave the weekend open for play and outdoor stuff with my husband and friends. Now that the temperatures are cooler and it’s football season, I’ve been doing my long runs on Sunday.

7. Change of Pace September 29, 2014 at 12:35 PM #

Awesome long run, and so great you have someone to do your 20 with!
    Yum- rootbeer GU?! I’ve been out of the distance world for too long if I don’t know all the flavours 🙂
    Also, can’t wait to hear about Crater Lake!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. PATIENCE! | Triathlete Treats - October 5, 2014

[…] view from the Sellwood bridge to the P-town skyline. You probably remember how excited I was to meet Chloe and Becky for a run last week. Even more excited to have someone to run with for my 20 miler!! […]