PATIENCE!

5 Oct

I watched the sunrise yesterday morning. It all started at 5:55am and ended right around 9:30. Yes!! 3.5 hours of running. Mostly on my own with the help of some Oiselle Flock to help me out at the end. Let me explain.

The view from the Sellwood bridge to the P-town skyline.
You probably remember how excited I was to meet Chloe and Becky for a run last week. Even more excited to have someone to run with for my 20 miler!! Ha!

It happened. The text came Friday morning: Chloe was cancelling. I was on the verge of tears. I knew it was too good to be true. I could not decide if I was more pissed or sad. I had changed around my plans to make this run date happen. If she would have told me a day or 2 in advance I could have gone with my original plan of running on Thursday or Friday(like usual). But I had a great tempo run with Becky on Thursday and I could not discount that.

I decided I could probably use the mental confidence anyway. I was going to put my big girl panties on and run 17 miles alone (1/2 in the dark) and meet up with the Oiselle gals for the last 3. Yes that is why I was out and running at 5:55 in the morning.

I was positive and confident I could get this done. I had a big dinner. I had slept well this week. My schedule said I had to run well-under my race pace. I have a hard time with that because I already run really slow that I don’t want to run even slower but it worked! I am finding it more and more reasonable to be PATIENT when I am running a long run. I am trying to teach my body and mind to run slow at first so I can speed up later. IT IS WORKING!!! Who knew I could have even a little bit of patience! My first 3 miles were sllloooowwwww! I can do this. I can run even slower than slow! I actually loved being in the dark. The air was crisp and perfect temperature. I was “running” happy. I took in my Gu and Nuun. At all the right times.

I headed back home at 10.5 miles to drop all of my reflective gear and grab another water bottle. I did not think that I would be able to get to the flock meet up in time because I was running “slow” and I had started 10 minutes later than I wanted to.

I definitely sped up those 6.5 miles and actual made the meet-up only a couple of minutes late. πŸ™‚

The meet up was for a “shake out” run for the gals that were running the marathon. These bitches “shake-out” pace is way faster than my tempo pace! HELLO!! I thought WTF I will try for a fast finish and see what happens!
shakeout1

shakeout2

My last 3 miles: 9:28, 9:51, 9:33 and the last .33 were at a 9:13 pace. I really did feel amazing at the end and could definitely have gone longer! I am definitely beginning to BELIEVE THAT PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!

I am trying to coax Bird Legs into running with me in New York. It is so much “funner” to have someone to run with. She likes to start out too fast and I am going to try and hold her back. πŸ™‚

I am really going to try and focus on going really slow and having patience in New York. It is going to be very difficult because we are in a faster corral than we should be in and the spectators and cheering and everything else going on!! Patience will be the name of the game!

#28daycountown

How do you survive a long run?!

16 Responses to “PATIENCE!”

1. Kimberly @ Healthy Strides October 6, 2014 at 9:17 AM #

Way to go, lovely! Good pals always help me survive a long run … as does Nuun and the promise of good food after.

2. Kecia October 6, 2014 at 2:23 PM #

Nice work lady!! Patience pays off!! I have to remind myself of that often…especially when it comes to work.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 6, 2014 at 9:03 PM #

Thanks!! I have to consistently have to tell myself that every day! I am just not a patient person! (I get it from my dad) πŸ™‚

3. Jonathan October 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM #

It is so tough to run slow. Even while I’m in the moment and I know that the best thing to do is to run slow, I struggle.

4. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life October 7, 2014 at 6:42 AM #

Great job sticking to your plan and having a good run! From your photos, it looked like a beautiful day to run!!

5. Kara October 7, 2014 at 9:15 AM #

Woohoo! What a confidence building run (with an awesome finish!) I’m so happy you were able to let go of the stress/annoyance of your friend canceling and power through it on your own. GREAT JOB! I’m soooo excited for you to run the NYC Marathon. It’s so amazing. I’m extremely envious! πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 7, 2014 at 8:54 PM #

Thanks!!! Total confidence builder!! Just a couple more long runs and the big day will be here! I can’t believe it! Finally!!

6. Single-Tracked Mind October 7, 2014 at 12:51 PM #

Nice work! Good for you for running your long run despite losing your partner. You rock!!!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 7, 2014 at 8:53 PM #

Thanks!! I was super happy that I didn’t think too much about it and just went out and did it!!

7. Heather October 8, 2014 at 9:35 AM #

Patience IS a virtue. A HARD virtue to learn. Looks like you’ve got it down pat though! Negative splitting in a race is always the best way to go. It’s definitely hard to start slow in big races with crazy crowds and other runners going out fast, but is ALWAYS pays off in the end. Glad you had a mini speed workout at the end of your long run and STILL felt like you could do more πŸ™‚

8. Kristen October 8, 2014 at 3:39 PM #

I can’t wait until your marathon in NYC! It is SO hard not to go out fast in a large race environment like that. I have such a difficult time being patient during a marathon. If you are able to successfully do this, please share your secret with me!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM #

I am definitely not a patient person but somehow it has finally clicked if I can just keep it slow at the beginning the end will be so much better! πŸ™‚