The Big D

14 Oct

I have a friend (Ashley but we call her Matchin) who lives in a Dallas ‘burb. The same friend who I have visited in San Antonio before. (She moved this year). I also have a friend in DC (Mandi) and a friend in Phoenix (Abbey) and we all try to get together every year or two.

The plan was to meet in Dallas and then head to the lake for the weekend. We all arrived safe on Thursday and checked out Grapevine. On Friday we headed to Lake Texoma.

Road trippin'

Road trippin’

We had a wonderful weekend full of food, laughs, and fun. We hit up the grocery store on the way and bought lots of food and drinks.

It was super nice when we got there so we took the kayaks and SUP out on the lake. It was windy and choppy. I got up on the SUP pretty good. I got down on my knees a few times to navigate the swells. (Also the paddle was too short for me which made it a little more difficult) πŸ™‚
P1000330

Matchin!

Matchin!

Abbey!

Abbey!

P1000339

P1000345

Our afternoon snacks:
image

We had lots of food. We grilled veggies, portobello mushrooms, chicken and tofu the first night.

We let Mandi and Abbey have rein over the kitchen. As much as I like to cook it is easier to let them do the cooking then all of us being in the kitchen! Matchin and I were on clean up duty.

The second night Abbey made Eggplant Parm and Mandi made a caprese salad. Delicious!

I co-made the fire each night and was resident s’more maker.
image

The second day was much much colder than the first so there was no water activities. We did check out the nature preserve and went on a 4 mile hike. Which was a nice way to break up the day.

We headed back toward Dallas on Sunday, picked up the boys (Matchin’s hubs & kiddos), and headed to the Texas State Fair. (I am doing a separate post on that) but since I arrived Connor had been wanting to bake cookies. (I made cookies with him last summer.) After eating our weight in fried foods at the fair we went home and made cookies.

image

image

image

image

Another fun trip to the south!!

13 Responses to “The Big D”

1. Single-Tracked Mind October 14, 2014 at 9:27 AM #

Looks like an amazing time! I’ve been to Houston and Austin but never Dallas!

2. bayrunnerjamie October 14, 2014 at 1:10 PM #

Such a fun girls weekend!

3. Kristen @ Glitter and Dust October 14, 2014 at 2:01 PM #

That is really cool that your friends fly in from different locations for a girl’s weekend. When I loved in Houston, my boyfriend at the time and I flew to Dallas for the State Fair and football game. It was a great time.

4. Heather October 14, 2014 at 4:12 PM #

Girls weekends are the best! That’s awesome that you all are able to get together when you’re from different parts of the country. So jealous of all your fun times lately!

5. Change of Pace October 14, 2014 at 8:09 PM #

Awe- sounds and looks awesome! It’s so nice you make the time and effort to get together! I remember your photos of baking cookies with the little guy last year πŸ™‚

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 21, 2014 at 11:25 AM #

It was so fun!! I couldn’t believe Connor remembered the cookies!! I showed him all the pictures from last year!

6. Kamie October 15, 2014 at 7:09 PM #

Looks fun girls. So good to see all of you together still after all these years. Good friends are the best!!!

7. Kara October 15, 2014 at 8:04 PM #

What a fun trip! I’ve been wanting to try standup paddle boarding for a long time now. It looks so awesome! (And so do those cookies, haha!)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 21, 2014 at 11:24 AM #

You have to try SUP!!! You are so close to the water too!!! For such an impromptu cookie they turned out awesome! πŸ™‚