What To Expect At The Texas State Fair!

17 Oct

I never realized that the Texas State Fair was such a BIG thing. I started to tell people I was going to Texas and the fair. The reaction was always the same. Oh wow! It is BIG! It is crazy! Take lots of pictures!!

We went! We saw! We ate! Go BIG or Go HOME in Texas!

We arrived at about 2. It is so big you have to take a shuttle from the parking lots.

This is how I would break up the fair. 60% food; 30% midway/gamesrides; 5% animals; 5% miscellaneous. SO MUCH FOOD! It would be interesting to see how it really is broken up.

Food!! Most of our coupons went to food!!

Fried stuff:
IMG_2795[1]I love fried pickles. unfortunately these weren’t great!

Dessert:
IMG_2797[1]Connor could be my child! We split a fried Reece’s & cream and a nutty buddy bar. (We did share with everyone) 🙂

IMG_2775[1]Fried Oreos. Definitely interesting. The Oreo is very soft.

IMG_2756[1]Turkey legs. Literally a turkey leg. People were just carrying them around like they were an ice cream cone!

Midway!!
The boys went on a few rides. The rides are expensive. The girls were too cheap to do any rides! I was almost sad about it!

Connor made a friend!

Connor made a friend!

We think Connor liked the rides more than Lucas!

We think Connor liked the rides more than Lucas!

Animals!!
Big presence of bacon around the fair!! OMG! This pig is 1237 pounds. He eats 20 lbs a day. (His favorites are oats and corn!)

Miscellaneous!!
The Cotton Bowl stadium is right in the middle of fair park. We missed the big Oklahoma vs. Texas game the day before!
IMG_2753[1]They had an almost expo like area of all LOCAL Texas products. I thought that was real neat since I am super into shopping local. They had a ton of samples too!

We found Big Tex!!

This is what happens when you spend the day at the fair!!

I am pretty sure I don’t need to go to another fair for a really long time!

Have you been to the Texas Fair? What is your favorite part of a fair??

8 Responses to “What To Expect At The Texas State Fair!”

1. erin October 18, 2014 at 6:39 AM #

Fun! Sounds like the Minnesota State Fair… every year they come up with more crazy foods on a stick, and it is PACKED with people the entire 10 days. I love that you’re wearing compression socks, too 🙂

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 21, 2014 at 11:23 AM #

Of course you were noticed my compression socks!! 🙂 I wasn’t planning on wearing them but it was cold. I had only brought one pair of pants and they smelled like 2 nights of campfire!! Who knew I would need 2 pairs of pants in Texas!

2. alduran79@gmail.com October 19, 2014 at 2:22 PM #

I loved every minute! So glad my visit trip to the fair was with you guys!! Let’s make it a traditions!!:)

3. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com October 20, 2014 at 8:31 AM #

Sorry to hear the fried pickles weren’t great. I love those, too! And it’s not a fair without fried oreos and huge turkey legs. I love that they had local Texas products at the “expo” great way for those companies to get exposure. Glad you had fun! I know what you mean about not going to a fair again for a while. We go every other year or so… that’s all I can handle, haha.

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 21, 2014 at 11:20 AM #

I was super sad about the pickles!!!! I would have also liked to have gone on some rides! I wonder if all fairs are that expensive or if it is just the big ones!!?!

4. Brittany October 27, 2014 at 5:01 PM #

This looks a lot like the Texas rodeo – one time we tried all the fried desserts we could (oreos, moon pies, twinkies, etc) and I agree the fried desserts are “interesting” but maybe not as good as they seem? Maybe I am a funnel cake girl if I had to choose 🙂 How fun though!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats October 30, 2014 at 11:04 PM #

Everyone says ohhhh the fried ___ are so good. Everything mostly just tastes like fried batter. It was fun to try once! 🙂