NYC Marathon Goals

31 Oct

Well it is definitely here! As we are flying to NYC on the red-eye. I can usually sleep pretty good on the plane but I think that I am too amped up to sleep which is really going to hurt me come 10am tomorrow today or god forbid Sunday!
Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 12.13.44 AM

I am flying on JetBlue and they have FREE WI-FI! Hello. It is like $30 bucks to use wi-fi on an Alaska flight! They also have better snacks than Alaska and Southwest! We are some where over the Dakotas I think as I write!!

I updated my last NYC post with a couple of new links if you want to check them out!!!

I wanted to write out some of my goals for this weekend.

This is one of my favorite motivational videos:

I really and truly just want to have a good race. I know I always say that but marathons are so hard for me. I really just want to have a good one! This is the plan!!

We are in the Blue Wave 3 Corral B. My bib number is 38446 if you want to track me you can do it here: live results or you can download the app (search for TCS NYC marathon) and check things out there!

We do not start until 10:30am. Holy smokes that is so late! But it is going to be cold so I am not super concerned with that. Bird Legs and I are going to start together. Run for a while and see what happens. I won’t be surprised if she breaks off after the 20 mile mark. I can only hope to be able to mentally and physically keep up with her at that point! 😉

We take it easy easy…too easy until the Queensboro Bridge. After that I hear the crowds get wild. Kind of go into a moderate mode at that point. If and when it feels good once I get over the 22/23 mile marker…Central Park then I am going to let it RIP!! If my mind and body are so inclined!

Training for NYC this year was a little different than training for Chicago last year. I was really set on making a BIG PR in Chicago. I trained really hard. I worked on my mental toughness. I had an epic 23 miler that was pretty much setting me up for a 4:30 marathon. I knew the stars would align on that day!! Well if you have been reading my blog since than you know that I did get the PR but it was not a big one. It was a tough race physically. I had multiple wrong-doings that were some my fault and some natures fault. Chicago was here nor there.

This time around I am hot off Ironman training/racing! I had 3 months to prepare for this marathon. (hard to believe Whistler was 3 months ago) I obviously had plenty of endurance but the race was still 3 months away. I had to recover and then start building again. Coach and I decided on a very conservative marathon approach. I was only going to do one 20 miler but lots of 16 and 18 milers. I was to practice my negative splitting. He asked me if i was nervous for only 1 20 miler. I said hell yes! (I have never done less than a 22 miler in training) But what did that 23 miler do for me last year. Almost nothing so what did I have to loose by not trying to kill myself in this training block. Maybe my body would rejoice!

I am reluctant to write any time goals but if all the stars aligned I would love to run a 4:35 on Sunday. My real goal should be:
Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 12.00.58 AM
Is this crazy or what? They are not going to tell that finisher until marathon Monday!

No pressure this year. I think that I was greedy with Chicago. All my runs were good. As much as I did not think I started off too fast I think I did just a little. It hurt me in the long run. Lessons to be learned! We will see if I actually learned it last year! 😉

I would be happy to start slow, enjoy the crowds, stay positive, make sure I have enough nutrition and hydration, SMILE, and finish strong. If all those things happen I should be able to pull off a PR: sub 4:43!! It has taken 5 years to get here. I am going to make the BEST OF IT!!! This is the New York City Marathon! Holy shit I am running another marathon on Sunday! Lucky #10!

What lessons have you learned while training for a marathon?! -OR- Racing a marathon?!

14 Responses to “NYC Marathon Goals”

1. bayrunnerjamie October 31, 2014 at 2:12 AM #

Don’t worry about not running in the 20+ miles, over 16-18 does little for our cardio endurance-you definitely prepared and will do amazing!! The millionth finisher gets entry for life?? Awesome!! Good luck good luck to you!! This is my dream race, and I cannot wait to hear all about it!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 6, 2014 at 10:03 PM #

Yes! The millionth finisher got entry for life! It ended up being a woman who will probably never run the race again! 😦

2. erin October 31, 2014 at 3:54 AM #

How cool would it be to be the one millionth finisher?! You are READY, Leslie! I’ll be cheering for you! Good luck, and soak up every borough! 🙂

3. Lee @ Tri*Inspired*Life October 31, 2014 at 6:08 AM #

Your training has been solid and I love your game plan. I have confidence that you are going to ROCK IT!!!! I look forward to tracking you and hearing all about your experience that is going to be amazing!

BTW…LOVE the motivational video…it is spot on!

4. Kecia October 31, 2014 at 7:50 AM #

Have a great race, Leslie!! I’ll be cheering for ya 🙂 I’ve found that if I stay relaxed, I have a much better race. I hope this strategy will work for you too!!

5. Joann Symonette October 31, 2014 at 8:14 AM #

So so awesome!! I’m so pumped for you!!! Your 10th marathon!!??? WOW!!! And for it to be the NYC marathon is super awesome!!! Hope you have a fantastic day and that all the stars align!!! Or you can make them align by following your plan!!! Patience and success to you my friend!!! Go have fun and embrace the opportunity of such an awesome race! 😀

6. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com October 31, 2014 at 1:06 PM #

I think my biggest lesson learned from racing marathons is to start out conservatively. Make sure you’re not going faster than your plan, even if yo’re feeling good. I know this is such a common piece of advice, but it’s sometimes hard to execute. Also, when things do get tough, just think about getting to the next mile, not mile 26. So much is mental! You are going to rock it! Have fun my lady!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 6, 2014 at 10:01 PM #

Absolutely!!! I think that running the mile that you are in is super important! I think when you start looking too much into the later miles that is when things can go rye!

7. Jonathan94002 October 31, 2014 at 10:18 PM #

Have a great race, Leslie! As long as you have fun, that’s all that really matters anyway! 🙂

8. Kristen November 1, 2014 at 4:01 PM #

Thinking of you, Leslie!! I know you are going to have a great race – how could you not – you’ll be running in one of the most brilliant cities in the world!! I think your goals and expectations for NYC are great. If you feel inspired by the crowds and exhilarated when you get to Central Park, empty the tank and go all out! I can’t believe the one millionth finisher is going to get race entry for life. I would have to move to NY! Go girl!!!

9. Luv What You Do November 1, 2014 at 5:23 PM #

Good luck and enjoy!
    I”m so jealous!

10. Single-Tracked Mind November 2, 2014 at 6:50 PM #

I’m so jealous! I hope the NYC marathon was everything you want and more!!

11. Kristin (@SweatCourage) November 3, 2014 at 6:03 PM #

Amazing job Leslie!! Tough conditions out there and you still got your sub 4:43!!! Congrats girl! I heard the winds were brutal! I learned a lesson the hard way at last years boston marathon…. I went out too fast at the beginning ( which is all downhill) and my legs were fried by mile 16, ouch! Again, awesome job out there yesterday!! Hope you enjoyed a nice day of rest today:)

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats November 6, 2014 at 9:59 PM #

Thanks Kristin!! They say if the wind hadn’t been present we would have run 4-4.5 mins faster!! Dang it! But you have to take what you can get!!
      I think anyone who has done a lot of marathons has learned that lesson!! 🙂