Cooking From Scratch!

5 Dec

I went through a phase in life where I made everything from scratch. I did it mostly because I wanted to. I guess it was the challenge! I mostly made sauces, dressings, etc. I think that I thought it was less expensive and I was just trying to save a buck.

I remember buying a few pumpkins. Cleaning, cutting, de-seeding, roasting, cutting off the skin. What a pain. It also took forever. I remember people telling me/reading that “fresh” pumpkin was so much better than canned pumpkin. Well I am here to tell you that is a crock of shit. I tried the process a couple of times. It never got easier. It never tasted any different from the canned pumpkin.

I love to cook and I don’t mind making things from scratch still. I do most of the time. But I have begun to buy canned pumpkin and enchilada sauce!

I promise this story has a point!!

I found this recipe for the Nordstrom Tomato Soup. I decided that since I had cream left from Thanksgiving that I would make the soup.

I bought all of the ingredients today. Not really thinking about the fact that I was buying 3 huge cans of tomatoes and a whole quart of veggie broth(which I usually make from scratch too but I didn’t have any leftover veggie scraps). I started cooking up the carrots and onions. (I added a bunch of garlic too)
IMG_3177

I started looking at the comments. Which I always laugh about. If you read food blog comments you know they are funny. Everyone has an opinion on everything! One lady said she could buy some tomato soup that was cheaper than the $15 she would have to spend to buy the ingredients from this soup. Than more than one person chimed in about that. Anyways I started thinking about it. I totally spent $15 on the ingredients. BUT it was definitely making more than the “4 servings” it said it would make. I always like the left-overs factor.

I was afraid to put the hot soup in the Vitamix. The recipe says to wait to blend it until it is cool. I instead put my immersion blender to use which was fun and worked really well.

It “looked” delicious. It only really smelled like tomatoes though.
IMG_3181

I made a quickie grilled cheese sandwich from some crusty bread that I got for free at Trifecta the other night.
IMG_3183

Quickie side story: This is totally Portland. Some friends and I go to dinner (on a Wednesday night) almost close the place down. As we leave there is a basket of a ton of bread with some plastic bags in it. I said it must be free. We checked with the bartender and sure enough she said take as much as you want. There was a few different kinds and it was all delicious!!

I didn’t get a picture of the 2 giant loaves I took. But Tiffany is holding a couple of baguettes.
IMG_3163

Back to the soup: I added some of these croutons. Amazing!
IMG_3178

I have to say I was not impressed and pretty sad. It took at least $15. The whole process took about 2 hours. We have a TON left. Dan was at a meeting and did not try it. I am hoping he will like it more than me and we can finish it up pretty quick. (This just in: Dan likes it!)

LONG STORY LONG: Things do not always taste better home-made from scratch. I could have bought this tomato soup for much cheaper. Or even better I could have bought my favorite tomato soup from a local restaurant that is my option the BEST tomato soup I have ever tasted for cheaper!! You live and you learn!

WE put most of my free bread into the freezer but I think that I will try to make some homemade croutons with some of that bread! Now those would be good at least to spice up the soup!! πŸ™‚

What do you like to make homemade?!

9 Responses to “Cooking From Scratch!”

1. Kecia December 6, 2014 at 8:25 AM #

We love to make homemade soups, curry and pizza. I get disappointed though when I try a new recipe and it wasn’t at all like I had hoped πŸ˜‰

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 6, 2014 at 5:09 PM #

Right!! It is like going to a restaurant you love, ordering something different, and not liking it!! πŸ˜‰

• Kecia December 6, 2014 at 5:10 PM #

Exactly!!

2. Heather @ HeatherRunsFast.com December 6, 2014 at 11:03 AM #

This is a good post! I feel like so many people say it’s better (more economical/more tasty/etc) to make things from scratch, but like you experienced, that’s not always the case. I feel like when it comes to baked goods, if you know what you’re doing, they almost always come out better, but at the same time, I think boxed brownies are the bomb! I love reading food blog comments, so many opinions!
    You should use the soup as a base for something else… I’m sure you could use it as a lasagna sauce or simmer it down and use it as a pasta sauce? Or just google recipes with tomato soup and I’m sure you’ll get tons!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 6, 2014 at 11:14 AM #

Hello the Ghirardelli double chocolate brownie mix is hands down the best brownie I have ever eaten!! πŸ™‚
      Ohhh that is a good idea! Thanks!!

3. Kristin (@SweatCourage) December 7, 2014 at 6:02 AM #

I love to cook from scratch! However, it drives me insane when I put SO much time into a recipe and when I go to eat it, I hate it. It’s a good thing my husband will eat anything I put in front of him, because otherwise we would waste a ton of food. It’s all all about trial and error sometimes:) oh and that bread looks fantastic!

• Leslie @ TriathleteTreats December 8, 2014 at 8:34 PM #

Even if it doesn’t turn out great. I will still eat it but Dan will usually eat more of it! πŸ™‚
      The bread was seriously amazing!!

4. erin December 10, 2014 at 4:04 AM #

We almost always cook from scratch (except for the occasional tomato soup or butternut squash sauce), but rarely follow any recipes. It’s way more fun to make stuff up! Our favorite spice (it goes on EVERYTHING): rogan josh from Penzey’s. So good! Thanks for the reminder that I can make soup in the Vitamix… I always forget!